I could use a few pounds. I'm too skinny!

Options
I have a dilemma. I exercise 5 days a week (jogging & strength training), and try to eat healthy, nutritious foods. That's good, but gaining some weight is a problem. I've always been on the slender side, yet in recent years, I've been more vigilant about what I eat and I'm exercising more that I ever did before. Sure, I could eat more but I don't want to fill myself up with fatty foods and junk. I love treats like pizza, ice cream, etc., and I don't deny myself these goodies; nevertheless, it's not for everyday. Does anyone have any advice for me? Anyone with this issue?

Replies

• DJParrish01
    DJParrish01 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh, to have that issue... *sigh*
  • Kinda79
    Kinda79 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My daughter is underweight and we try and make sure she eats long of white and brown rice, lots of veggies including potatoes and whole grains. Unlike her mother, me, she has a pretty high metabolism so keeping her full on foods is a must. Whole grain toast with peanut butter is a pretty good one in my house as well.
  • Dolphingirlie81
    Options
    I'll be more than glad to share some of my pounds with you :)
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Have you considerd protein shakes of some sort?
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Well, not exactly, but sort of. I am on MFP trying to gain muscle/ lean body mass without really gaining weight or fat. I have learned the following things and received the following advice:
    1> Eat more protein.
    2> Do more strength training and possibly less cardio.
    3> Calories can be increased by eating calorie-dense healthy foods like peanut butter, nuts, avocado etc.
    Hope that helps!
    Do a google search on "skinny fat" and see if it fits for you. It has lots of info- I got that from another MFP member.
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Eat more healthy fats like olive oil, avocados, nuts, etc. Maybe cut down on the cardio a little..
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    NUTS! (that's a suggestion, not a word in place of an explitive, lol)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Just use MFP, and plug in what your daily calories would be to gain a half pound a week. Or plug in what it would take to maintain your weight, then manually change your goal instead of using the guided method, and add a hundred or two hundred calories, for a slightly slower gain. Change the protein settings to allow for a little more, too, but I think that's something most folks should do.

If all you want to do is add a few pounds, it will be just minor tweaks. Maybe slightly larger portions at each meal, or one extra snack a day. A glass of chocolate milk at bedtime, for instance. Or have five or six ounces of chicken at dinner instead of 4 ounces.

Really, it's the same principals as when you want to lose just a few pounds. You don't need a major lifestyle overhaul, just a few small changes.
  • elgface
    elgface Posts: 35
    Options
    Well, not exactly, but sort of. I am on MFP trying to gain muscle/ lean body mass without really gaining weight or fat. I have learned the following things and received the following advice:
    1> Eat more protein.
    3> Calories can be increased by eating calorie-dense healthy foods like peanut butter, nuts, avocado etc.
    Hope that helps!
    Do a google search on "skinny fat" and see if it fits for you. It has lots of info- I got that from another MFP member.

I agree, and basically the thing is to do the opposite of us who want to loose, so instead of burning more than you consume, you consume more calories than you burn... and there are lots of healthy hi calorific food choices out there, nuts like peanuts, cashews, almonds... and fruit, and avocado... get enough protein and healthy fat.... good luck !
  • ubabe1
    ubabe1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Great Advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ubabe1
    ubabe1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    1> Eat more protein.
    Hope that helps!

Great Advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • WishtoGain
    Options
    I haven't been on MFP for a couple of weeks. Thanks very much to all of you who responded to my topic. Very much appreciated!