Hypothyroidism

Options
I have hypothyroidism and struggle with my weight daily. I am very tired and have difficulty making it through the day. I have a treadmill and elliptical but am so tired and muscle fatigued by the end of the day I don't use them. I can count my calories, sugars and fats but I have no luck losing weight. I am getting very discouraged with no progress on my healthy eating habits. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    are you medicated? when was the last time you had a full blood panel done?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    are you medicated? when was the last time you had a full blood panel done?

+1. Having difficulty making it through the day and too fatigued to exercise suggests your condition might not be properly treated.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I've been on Synthroid for years.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Definitely suggest a visit to your doctor asap to have your levels checked as well as a regular blood panel run. People with hypothyroid who are properly medicated do not experience the fatigue that you describe.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm on Synthroid too, and it helps. Also, are you able to exercise in the morning? With the exception of my running group runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays evenings, it's really hard for me to get motiviated to exercise in the evening. I've made a commitment to myself to at get in at least 30 minutes of exercise each morning, so that at least I've done something. I also am pooped at the end of the day and have had to take naps.
  • tara_mcconnell
    tara_mcconnell Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! With doctors telling me this is the weight that my body likes. I don’t believe that and I want to prove them wrong!
  • Idratherberunning2017
    Idratherberunning2017 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just have to push through the exhaustion. My levels are normal, but I am far from where I was. Your body will adjust. Maybe plan to work out before a day off so you can recover more. The more you do, the more you will be able to do. Like stacking legos. Build on your blocks.

But yes, get it tested. Ir ensure you’re taking the medication properly (as instructed).
  • 0622mimi
    0622mimi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all yes I am medicated with synthroid and i take it religiously when I wake in the am. I do not take anything else for at least an hour. It seems not matter what I do the weight is creeping up. I exercised today and I am feeling pretty good about it.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    0622mimi wrote: »
    Hi all yes I am medicated with synthroid and i take it religiously when I wake in the am. I do not take anything else for at least an hour. It seems not matter what I do the weight is creeping up. I exercised today and I am feeling pretty good about it.

Glad that you take your Synthroid properly, but the question remains: When was the last time you had your levels checked? You may need to have your dose adjusted. Also an additional blood panel will help you and your doctor figure out what's going on.
  • pinaycoco
    pinaycoco Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and struggle with my weight daily. I am very tired and have difficulty making it through the day. I have a treadmill and elliptical but am so tired and muscle fatigued by the end of the day I don't use them. I can count my calories, sugars and fats but I have no luck losing weight. I am getting very discouraged with no progress on my healthy eating habits. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey! I have Hashimoto's and it takes me a long time to see even a small change in my weight. As soon as I eat just a little more it creeps up again. So I hope you can stick with it. I also think you should change your endocrinologist. I had three in less than a year and only recently feel like someone knows what they are doing. If you can, try and start walking more. I walk an hour to work and an hour back. It seemed soooooo long at first but got easier over time - and when I started listening to a podcast while walking it became real fun. Then I started going to the gym most evenings as well to do cardio, Pilates and yoga. Exercise has done amazing things for my body and mind. It's actually giving me more energy - I jus struggle with muscle weakness, too. I'm still not sure what my calorie needs are but they are definitely a lot lower than normal as 1,200 seems to just maintain it. Good luck! We can do this!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I’m hypothyroid too but my medication is at the correct level - I happily run 50km a week, do yoga and Pilates four times a week, as well as running round after my two small children. While I do get tired, it’s regular tiredness brought on by an active life, not the dragging heavy unending lethargy of hypothyroidism. Don’t accept life like this. Talk to your GP, if they’re unhelpful find another GP or visit an endocrinologist. Good luck.

Quite a contrast from the OP.

I guess I need to doctor shop too. That's a life I can only dream of. I'm on 125 micrograms though, which is already a pretty high dose!
  • Joyce6429
    Joyce6429 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism and take synthroid daily. In 2013 I used my fitness pal and was successful in losing 30 lbs. over the years, I gained 20 lbs back. Been having tiredness, aches and more pains and my internist adjusted the synthroid after lab testing. Since then, I reunited with counting calories again and in four weeks have lost 10 lbs. I am super excited. It is possible and plan to continue... also... I am 72 years old, 5’1” and present weight is 132. 🙂
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,224 Member
    Options
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    I’m hypothyroid too but my medication is at the correct level - I happily run 50km a week, do yoga and Pilates four times a week, as well as running round after my two small children. While I do get tired, it’s regular tiredness brought on by an active life, not the dragging heavy unending lethargy of hypothyroidism. Don’t accept life like this. Talk to your GP, if they’re unhelpful find another GP or visit an endocrinologist. Good luck.

Quite a contrast from the OP.

I guess I need to doctor shop too. That's a life I can only dream of. I'm on 125 micrograms though, which is already a pretty high dose!

If you still have symptoms, and your doctor is unhelpful, yes, it's time to doctor shop.

I'm pretty severely hypothyroid, but well-controlled at 175mcg of levothyroxine. I feel best at the bottom end of the normal TSH range, and have not had problems with T3/T4 conversion, so just the levo works for me. My doctor's fine even if I drop a little below the normal TSH range, as long as there are no hyperthyroid symptoms (rapid heart rate and that sort of thing). I'm 63, row (in summer) on water 4 days a week, go to spin class 2 days a week, and lead a normally energetic life in other respects.

It should be possible to feel better at the correct dosage of the correct drugs. Don't forget that we as hypothyroid people can have fatigue or other hypo symptoms for reasons other than hypo, too: Low iron, vitamin D, and many more possibilities. Don't just start supplementing willy-nilly, though: Get the proper diagnostic blood tests before supplementing, because supplements can distort the test results.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

Has your endo checked you for leptin resistance?

I had a real tough time losing weight until I switched to a new endocrinologist, to be honest. And my original one was supposedly a big kahuna in his field.

Now, my leptin is working as it should, I'm off insulin and my synthroid is the right dosage.

Good luck.