Advice for family dinner

Okay, tonight I'm going to dinner at my parents house. I know we will be having BBQed beef fillet, rice pilaf & salad w/ some sort of vinaigrette dressing. So my question is how do you log calories when you go to someone else's house for dinner? The rice should be easy I can get a general idea on that. Tried to look up the steak though and didn't find much. The majority of my meal will be salad. With little sides of the rice and steak. No extras like bread or appetizers. I saved a lot of calories (685) for dinner because today is a rest day and I do NOT want to go over. Finally starting to get the results I want and don't want to mess up. So any guideance, suggestions, advice on how YOU log a homecooked meal you didn't cook!

Replies

• 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Eat a small portion and log in "Quick Add Calories"..and make a guess...if you think you wnent over..go over...if under...add under....it's only one meal and won't wreck your new healthy eating lifestyle! Might find steak under 'beef'

Enjoy!

:flowerforyou:
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    For steak calories, check in the database like this: Beef, filet cooked (or grilled), then remember the old rule of thumb - a small deck of cards is around 3 oz. Probably more important to is ask what the cut of steak is, as ribeyes, sirloins, tri tips, filiet mignons, etc. have diffferent levels of fat and thus calories! And definitely look for the COOKED version of your meat, not the raw (in the database).

it sounds delish! enjoy!!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    When we go out to a cookout or a get together, I ask the host what did they use to make the meals. Sure I might not be exact on the numbers but at least I'm logging something down.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

this website is invaluable for finding most generic types of foods and their nutrient values.....the search engine is a bit tricky so start with "Beef" then add the cut.....keep at it and you will find both raw and cooked versions of most cuts of meat!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    If you know the cut of the steak that'll help a little. Otherwise just guess and don't feel guilty.
  • shelbym87
    shelbym87 Posts: 122 Member
    Thank you all very much. I'll definitely be checking the website. & the way I was searching MFP database could have been the problem. I probably won't be asking Mom & Dad too much about measurements and what not because they easily get the impression that I'm "obsessed" if they figure I'm counting calories. They don't so much believe in diet. They think if you exercise you should be able to eat whatever you want, oh how I wish!
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    You could always ask about the recipe... act like you are wanting to try it out home? lol.