Why am I gaining?

Options
I decided to start tracking my food again after gaining 10 pounds in 2 weeks for no apparent reason.

Usually when I track my food I see pretty quick results but this time, after almost a week, I am up 2 pounds! Needless to say, I'm not very happy.

I have the Pacer app to track my steps and I've been logging gardening as my main activity. Of course, logging these things allows me more calories for the day.

I'm wondering if I should stop tracking these activities and cut my calories down. I'm so frustrated.

As a side note, I'm 49 and perimenopausal. That could be a contributing factor but I don't think I should be going up in weight when I have a pretty healthy diet with mostly vegetables.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You can't gain 12 lbs of fat in 3 weeks.

Its most likely water weight, though that's alot of water to be retaining. Have you had a checkup recently?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Have you had any additional stress in this time frame?

Been eating anything sodium heavy?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    I personally would not track gardening unless it was intensive.
  • KathleenMarshall0128
    Options
    I have not had a checkup recently. I usually drink a lot of water but hadn't considered that I might be retaining it.

Stress: yes my mom died recently and things have been a mess since. So lots of stress.

Gardening is pretty intense. I have a big garden and also a small homestead to take care of. I usually lump all the farm chores under 'gardening'.
  • jrramet
    jrramet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also just trying to lose 10 pounds, I am 47. I have been tracking 1200 calories for 50 days and have actually gained weight! I could cry!
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Three weeks isn't such a long time. If the trend continues I would have your doctor check your estrogen, progesterone, testosterone and a full thyroid panel including thyroid antibodies, T3, T4, free T3 and free T4 not just TSH as some doctors run. Might as well check cortisol as well.