7.5 lb Weight Gain - Creatine Spike?

Options
I've been progressively losing weight for a couple months now. I understand its not linear; I've had peaks and valleys with a downward trend. I should be near or below 160 by July 1.

I started taking creatine consistently two weeks ago, typically ~15-20 grams per day (loading phase [though I know it's not technically necessary to load]) and will now be moving to 5 grams per day.

I understand creatine can cause extra water retention to the tune of ~2 lbs.

My past week's weigh ins were as follows;

6/12 - 164
6/13 - 164
6/14 - 165.3
6/15 - 162
6/16 - 167.1
6/17 - 169.5
6/18 - 166.8

Question; Is the sudden weight fluctuation likely due to the creatine now being fully-effective (absorbed)?

Appreciate any thoughts in advance - thanks!

Replies

• surjiosurjio
    surjiosurjio Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    U can take creatine for 6 weeks maximum then 2weeks off and recycle again it’s just water weight ay it pal
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It seems a little higher than typical, but not out of the realm.

In regards to the the 6 week advice timeline, I’m fairly certain that is incorrect. I’ve read nothing stating you need to stop taking after 6 weeks.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    OP - that does seem like a big swing but it's very individual.

Personally I couldn't even tell I'd taken it the first time I tried it for a few weeks (no training benefit, no increase in weight). Second time it just upset my stomach enough to cause weight loss. I didn't do a loading phase though - just 5g / day.

@dgil1975 is correct - you don't have to cycle off creatine. It naturally occurs in foods and you are simply supplementing to optimise your levels.

Examine.com has a very good write up on it.
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    OP - that does seem like a big swing but it's very individual.

Personally I couldn't even tell I'd taken it the first time I tried it for a few weeks (no training benefit, no increase in weight). Second time it just upset my stomach enough to cause weight loss. I didn't do a loading phase though - just 5g / day.

@dgil1975 is correct - you don't have to cycle off creatine. It naturally occurs in foods and you are simply supplementing to optimise your levels.

Examine.com has a very good write up on it.

Good information there, and just to add to it. Creatine has been shown to be a fairly affective supplement for most. However there is a segment of the population that would be considered non-responders. My guess is you fall in that category.

Myself I do find it helpful, but it’s not a huge difference. Like the OP, it caused me to retain water like most, But for me it was 3-4lbs.