Why is weight training not considered cardio??

Options
LittleQuelie
LittleQuelie Posts: 37 Member
edited August 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
If I do my sets in quick succession, I am dripping sweat, my heart is pounding and I’m out of breath. How is this not considered cardio?? I MUCH prefer resistance training to the treadmill or elliptical, and find I am more motivated to go to the gym when I know I can do my resistance routine. I’d go as far as to say I HATE cardio - it’s boring and makes me want to die lol. Although I push myself with weight training, I find the short bursts are a lot easier to deal with - they keep me motivated and I find I have a lot more will power to push through and add a couple more reps or up the weight. When I do do cardio, I try to do a bit of HIIT but I hate it so much that I doubt I’m getting the full benefits. Is there any reason why I can’t/shouldn’t do my resistance routine only? I work out with a trainer once per week and aim to get to the gym at least two or three more times, I also play rec court 6x6 volleyball once per week...

EDIT: I should also mention that although my main goal is weight loss, a close second is staying healthy and getting fit. I like that I am starting to see definition in muscles I never even knew existed lol. I don’t go to the gym with the intention of burning X calories, I go because I want my heart, lungs, muscles and bones to be healthy.

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    There is a strength training entry in the cardio database. You can use that to enter your exercise calories from weight lifting. If you are doing some sort of custom routine that is outside the norm of weight lifting, you likely need to measure your own calories from a fitness device and enter that custom.
  • LittleQuelie
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I will pay more attention to my heart rate next time I’m in the gym!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ameralon wrote: »
    From what I understand, it's all about keeping a sustained heart rate in your burn zone. I'm not sure of your age but if you follow this guide you'll know where your heart rate should be to be considered cardio. "To determine your maximum heart rate, subtract your age from 220. For example, a 35-year-old woman's maximum heart rate is 220 minus 35 — or 185 beats per minute. To enter the fat-burning zone, she'd want her heart rate to be 70 percent of 185, which is about 130 beats per minute." Are you maintaining a sustained heart rate in that zone or does it drop below that number in between your sets? For a lot of people it drops which is why it usually wouldn't be considered cardio. BTW I also hate cardio and much prefer strength training, too :)

Two observations. Specific figures are only useful if you understand your personal metrics. 220-age is meaningless in real terms. If I used that I'd tell you that I'll run a 10Km race at a higher heart rate than my maximum HR.

You need to think about why HR is varying. In CV work it's about increasing oxygen flowing around the body, in resistance work it's less about that.

And, as above, fat burning zone is very outdated.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a circuit - not stopping at all between machines - you're doing more "weighted cardio" than "resistance training".

Weight training typically means doing a set of exercises with a set weight, resting for anywhere from one to ten minutes depending on program and ability, and doing additional sets with the same weight. Think "three sets of five" on squats, for instance.

As an example, a ninety minute full body session comprised of three set of five of squats, bench press, and deadlift will have a total time actually moving weight of under ten minutes. Most of the time is spent resting between sets to recover from ATP depletion and get the body's O2 levels back to normal. So, while someone who's doing weight training can spend one, two or three hours in the gym, their actual "time under the bar" is a fraction of that time.

In circuit training, it's more typical to do a set on a machine, and move to the next machine that works a different body group of muscles with no rest between; the recovery for muscle group is essentially from it not being worked in rapid succession.

Which type of training you do depends on your goals.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    If I do my sets in quick succession, I am dripping sweat, my heart is pounding and I’m out of breath. How is this not considered cardio?? I MUCH prefer resistance training to the treadmill or elliptical, and find I am more motivated to go to the gym when I know I can do my resistance routine. I’d go as far as to say I HATE cardio - it’s boring and makes me want to die lol. Although I push myself with weight training, I find the short bursts are a lot easier to deal with - they keep me motivated and I find I have a lot more will power to push through and add a couple more reps or up the weight. When I do do cardio, I try to do a bit of HIIT but I hate it so much that I doubt I’m getting the full benefits. Is there any reason why I can’t/shouldn’t do my resistance routine only? I work out with a trainer once per week and aim to get to the gym at least two or three more times, I also play rec court 6x6 volleyball once per week...

EDIT: I should also mention that although my main goal is weight loss, a close second is staying healthy and getting fit. I like that I am starting to see definition in muscles I never even knew existed lol. I don’t go to the gym with the intention of burning X calories, I go because I want my heart, lungs, muscles and bones to be healthy.

Do you have volleyball and find it boring? It's cardio.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The mechanism that raises heart rate during weight training is not the same as the mechanism that raises heart rate during cardio. This is one of the reasons heart rate is a poor way to estimate calories for resistance training.
  • LittleQuelie
    Options
    No, I don’t find it boring. I’m talking about traditional modes of cardio exercise. If I could play volleyball everyday I would!
  • LittleQuelie
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input. I find these message boards a bit confusing to use from your phone - I can’t see how to reply to specific people?
  • asochable
    asochable Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I understand getting bored doing cardio, but I think for some people they don’t like it because they are working too hard, thus 5 minutes go by and they are tired and dreading the next 15 minutes. Watching heart rate is good so that you are going at an easy, sustained effort throughout. Once I switched to focusing on keeping my heart rate lower while running, I was checking my watch while I run to keep in zone rather than counting down time or distance. But I knew that I was working towards improving my aerobic base, thus making me a more efficient runner. I had a specific goal which helped remind me WHY I was doing that particular run.

I am training for my 3rd marathon and do CrossFit 3-4 times per week, so my experience may be different than what you’re looking for, but maybe by trying to slow down your cardio (whether on a bike or running or whatever) and thinking of it as more for recovery and endurance for lifelong health rather than for another means to torch calories, it will get better. I also find the easy runs help me perform better at CrossFit.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input. I find these message boards a bit confusing to use from your phone - I can’t see how to reply to specific people?

Are you using the app, or the website through Chrome on your phone? If in the app there should be a button that says "quote below each post on the left, above the row of insightful, inspiring, etc.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,225 Member
    Options
    I love watching MissFitandNerdy on YouTube. She is passionate about lifting heavy, and that you don't need to do cardio to lose weight/get healthy.
    STOP DOING CARDIO

You don’t need cardio to lose weight. You don’t need exercise at all. You can me comatose and lose weight. All that matters for losing weight is that you consume fewer calories than your body burns.

A “healthy” level of activity involves both aerobic and resistance training. The world health organization (not sure if they have a YouTube channel) has recommendations for both. Your heart is a muscle too.

I would rather gouge my eyes out than use an elliptical (or pretty much anything inside a gym). But I enjoy hiking, biking, playing, running, a whole multitude of activities that are considered aerobic activity.