Evolving into a runner @ 54 Help, please.

I have started a C25k program and have reached week three without any serious pains and without any injuries. Great! I am really enjoying this and can't wait to improve.

However...

The next week will involve a big uptick in the amount of time actually running (instead of alternating walk/run) and I am concerned about the strain this will put on these old joints and bones. Any helpful hints or words of wisdom would be appreciated. Are there pitfalls I should be aware of? Are there informational sites I should view or avoid? How did you do it? What worked for you?

My next goal is a Tough Mudder because it looks like fun.

Replies

• wifeoferp
    wifeoferp Posts: 86 Member
    If you think you aren’t quite ready for it you can always repeat week three or adjust your own intervals and do a kind of in-between week.
    Loved that program! Best of luck with it!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    You could stay at your current level another week or halve the "uptick" in running. I have found that as I have aged, slowing the progression helps the joints/ligaments/tendons get used to the pounding and I know for sure that over-doing kills my progress.
  • chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    When you started this venture, did you get new, good running shoes? That can make a big difference to keeping you ache & pain free. The right shoes can help with stabilizing your ankles & hips, if that is a concern.

One rule of thumb is to only increase your running by 10% per week (miles or minutes). Although, it seems like a lot of running plans increase by a mile a week. I guess if your plan is in that range, you should be ok. If it's more than a 10% increase, you could always scale back, as others mentioned above.

Good for you for taking up running! I started around 30 y.o. because I always wanted to run a 5k, so why not try? And Tough Mudder -- wow! Those look horrifying to me, but I hope you kick *kitten*!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I started c25k in February this year at 52. I did have some trouble the first few weeks with hip and knee pain. What I learned is that I was running too fast for the run segments. So I started increasing rest days and decreasing my pace on the run segments. This made a huge difference. Don’t try to actually run but instead just lightly jog the run segments. It is s great program. I completed it in the prescribed 9 weeks and after meeting local runners I am now trading for a 10k distance.

On another note, I met several runners at my local Parkrun who are running in their 60s and 70s who are competing in marathons and are amazing. Several started in their 40s and 50s and are quite accomplished.
  • aevely2
    aevely2 Posts: 3 Member
    I had always said I couldn't run to save my live; I was wrong. I did the C25K when I retired at 60. I completed it according to schedule and was really surprised to find I enjoyed it. I did have hip pain and knee pain to start with but stretching after runs helped. I stopped running for a year and then started up again recently with a 5K - that was a mistake - really hurt my back. As long as you stick to a schedule and ease into you should be fine.
  • buckykatt1
    buckykatt1 Posts: 18 Member
    Cut your speed if it's painful or hard to complete the intervals without huffing and puffing. Slow is relative and totally normal for a beginner. Check out Jeff Galloway's plans for long term training with lower risk of injury if you want to increase mileage.
  • smateo777
    smateo777 Posts: 1 Member
    As mention above shoes are important. However, what I have found most important is a mixture of activities to increase my balance and strength. I started running 8 months ago and introduced myself to yoga simultaneously and strength training. Cut back on sugar, and ran many hills. I ate mostly veggies and meats with high carbs added in through protein bars. Good luck. Baby steps will help your body support itself. I started running 3 miles every Sat in Jan, 5 miles in Feb, 7 miles in March. I would do 3 miles up a mountain, and three miles down. I found out where I used my energy, and when to store it. Overall, running has been a new challenge and I have just completed your first relay. Our team ran 200 miles together. I am turning 40 and enjoying every second. Take care of your body and listen to it. You will get to where you want to be. Good luck.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    I'll tell you the same thing I told my 50 year old husband. Take it slow and don't increase your weekly mileage too fast. He didn't listen and ended up with a calf injury that kept him from running for months.
  • shewhoismany
    shewhoismany Posts: 182 Member
    Thank you all for the sound and practical advice. It does me good to hear from runners not currently training for college track and field events.

Shoes - check. Saturday I went to a recommended sporting store and new shoes after a lengthy consultation. I'm taking them out tomorrow for the first time. Wish me luck!

Progressing slowly is good advice. I just hope that I am smart enough to follow it. I am so eager to make progress I don't want to hold back. I think if I keep reminding myself that pushing to hard will only slow down my progress. I plan to be in this for the long run, so to speak.

Slowing down, I figured out and I think I am starting to get a feel for a comfortable pace for me. It isn't very fast but for now it is sustainable in the C25k program. I don't have to choose speed or distance yet. I do tend to start out to fast and slow down to where I am comfortable. If I can learn the patience to start slow and build up I think I'll have less to worry about.

Thanks again!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I have started a C25k program and have reached week three without any serious pains and without any injuries. Great! I am really enjoying this and can't wait to improve.

However...

The next week will involve a big uptick in the amount of time actually running (instead of alternating walk/run) and I am concerned about the strain this will put on these old joints and bones. Any helpful hints or words of wisdom would be appreciated. Are there pitfalls I should be aware of? Are there informational sites I should view or avoid? How did you do it? What worked for you?

My next goal is a Tough Mudder because it looks like fun.

Slow your run down, then slow it down some more, even if that means you're barely going faster than walking.
    It's not really about distance atm so much as time running
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Someone upthread mentioned stretching. This is a must! I think there are too many runners who skip this step and it is amazing how much your runs will improve as you increase your flexibility.
  • I take walk-running breaks still after many years. I find some days are harder and others on my body. Listen to your body, take walk breaks when you need-run when you don't. Rest days are a must, especially in the beginning as there is the "too much too soon" injuries that can also occur and they will set you back if you push too much.

Factors that I know impact my ability to run for longer periods of time are:
    Rest (not enough)
    Posture (Google Chi Running - helped my form a LOT and reduced pain in my joints)
    Hydration (not enough makes it difficult to breathe for me)
    Factors that I know push me to go further:
    Great music
    Using my Zombies Run app (so much fun)
    Running virtual 5ks or 10ks to keep me motivated
    When running, making sure it is my body that is tired not my brain (big hurdle for me some days)
    Good luck on your journey!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    I started C25k at age 55. I have since run 6 half marathons and 5 marathons. (Currently I'm 62.) When I reached the week with the big jump (8 to 20 minutes) I doubted I could do it so I split the difference and ran 14 + 6, then on my next run ran the full 20. It is an amazing feeling when you find out that you actually can run the whole 20 minutes.

Best advice is to not push your mileage too quickly. I made the mistake of starting training for a HM soon after I finished C25k. It was too much, too soon. Get comfortable with running 30 minutes. Then add 5 minutes. Then add 5 more. Then add a day of running, but the same total time spread out over 4 days instead of 5. Do some cross training to build overall strength and fitness. Work on your flexibility.