Food for thought!

Options
Question: How many calories does it take to gain a pound?

Answer: How many unused calories is what's important here. Remember that you're burning calories just sitting around- about 80 an hour or so. You burn at least 1000 calories in a day just breathing, thinking and so on.

A pound of fat contains roughly 3200 calories. So you'd have to consume 3200 calories beyond what you burn in a day to gain a pound of fat. Conversely, you'd need to burn 3200 calories more than you consume to lose a pound of fat. That may seem like a lot, but realize that an extra hundred calories a day, everyday, over the course of a lifetime can really add up, a pound a month, 12 pounds a year.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_calories_does_it_take_to_gain_1_pound#ixzz1WMyZf0V3

Replies

• lindacarol1348
    Options
    Thanks. That was an eye opener.
  • Ritamas2
    Ritamas2 Posts: 319
    Options
    In a word...WOW
    who knew? I mean when it's put like that, WOW!!!!
    Thanks for sharing that, it's very interesting!
  • patriot201
    patriot201 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That's for people with normal metabolisms, right?

I gain huge amounts of weight on only 1200 calories a day. My nutritionist and doctors are very surprised by the fact that when I am on exactly 1200 calories a day (measured out and "prescribed" by my doctors/nutritionist) for a year, I gain around 10-15 pounds. We all thought my metabolism would "heal" if I ate well for a year, but it still hasn't and it has been pushing three years. I still gain weight if I eat that much (even if I am on a zero-exercise regimen). It sucks.
  • CoachMelissaDi
    CoachMelissaDi Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    That's for people with normal metabolisms, right?

I gain huge amounts of weight on only 1200 calories a day. My nutritionist and doctors are very surprised by the fact that when I am on exactly 1200 calories a day (measured out and "prescribed" by my doctors/nutritionist) for a year, I gain around 10-15 pounds. We all thought my metabolism would "heal" if I ate well for a year, but it still hasn't and it has been pushing three years. I still gain weight if I eat that much (even if I am on a zero-exercise regimen). It sucks.

I'm not sure what metabolism it is for. Just found this and thought it was very interesting. It made me feel better knowing how many calories you would have to eat to gain a pound of fat back. I am 199lbs. and have like 30 something pounds left to lose and I have a low metabolism also. I can lose more weight if I eat more healthy foods I found. Dont know if you tried that or not. Up your calories because maybe you are getting too little calories or something.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It actually is 3500 calories equals one pound of fat.. and to figure out how much your burning an hour go to tools and BMR.. take that number and divide it by 24 to see how much you burn an hour.