Help im having company for dinner..what to make

Options
I am having some people over for dinner tonight and have no idea what to make that can feed all of us thats lean and yet looks and tastes yummy...i am loathe to go over my calorie limit but want to make it special..can anyone give me some ideas or recipes please..also im in Australia so alot of whAt I see in the recipe boards ive never heard of :P

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I made this recently and everyone enjoyed it...

Shallow Fried Blue Grenadier with Salad (AKA Georgie's Fish recipe).

Blue Grenadier fillets (de-boned) - I used Ling because that's what looked nicest when I went to buy fish.
    Flour
    Salt
    Pepper
    1 bunch of Coriander - in the recipe Georgie says to 'remove the leaves'... who has time for that? I just washed the whole bunch and chopped it til I got to the stalk.
    1 Red Capsicum
    300gm Snow Peas - I used 100gms Snow Peas, 100grms bean sprouts, 60gms
    of spinach, it was LOADS for two.
    1 red chilli - I left this out because my husband doesn't like chilli.

Dressing
    Equal quantities of Fish Sauce, Lime juice and palm sugar. 2tbs of
    each then adjust to taste.

Method

Coat fish in mixture of flour, salt and pepper. Heat either Vegetable / Canola or Peanut oil (higher fat content) in wok / fry pan (need decent amount, but no swimming pool). Wait until oil is really hot before adding fish otherwise it will soak all the oil. Shallow fry until brown (will not take long) then turn over. Remove from heat and place on paper towel to drain any excess oil.

Salad – Wash coriander and remove only leaves (you can chop some of it but it is better left chunky). Finely julienne capsicum (better once you have removed most of the inner flesh and are left with the skin).
    Finely slice the snow peas after you have taken the string out of them. Cut open the chilli and remove seeds (unless you like it hot) and finely slice. NOTE: There should be lots of salad and you aim to eat the fish with the salad not one then the other.

Make Dressing and try it before you serve it. Can taste a bit weird by itself but is great with fish.

Assembly – place fish on plate then arrange salad over fish and pour dressing over the top.

I served it with brown rice and it was loads for two of us -- I think if you want to double/triple the recipe, it'd still work fine.

I added it to my recipe list and I think it all comes to approx 400cals per serve. I'll double check that for you.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    it's 305 cals per serve, minus the rice.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    You cant go wrong with sauteed mushrooms onions & spinach (or any other veggie combination) a tiny bit of oil with whatever spices you like, for me garlic & pepper. Spoon the mixture over some grilled boneless skinless chicken brest & then top with your favorite low fat cheese. yummy. make extra & you can have it for lunch during the week. Serve with some rice *(wild rice is good-but anything you like) and a big green salad full of fresh veggies. Or skip the rice & add some nice crusty bread.
  • jenttifer
    jenttifer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I would make your favorite healthy dish that you enjoy. It might surprise people how great healthy food can be!
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    This would be a good side dish just harve the servings. The what about some skinless chicken breat with lemon pepper and oregano or something? or some other spices?

Recipe name

Mixed Bean & Brown Rice Salad

Number of servings

Serves 4 people

Ingredients Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Calcium

Sun Rice - Long Grain Wholegrain Brown Rice, 200 g uncooked (1 cup uncooked)704 142 6 16 8 0

Parsley - Raw, 1 cup 22 4 0 2 34 8

Generic - Red Onion, Raw, One Medium Whole, 148 g 60 16 0 1 5 0

Woolworths Select - Five Bean Mix - No Added Salt, 1 container (252 gs ea.) 332 56 3 15 24 0

Lupi Organic - Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 4 Tbsp (15ml) 492 0 54 0 0 0

Bird's Eye - Frozen French Cut Green Beans, 1 cup 30 5 0 1 0 4

Generic - Dijon Mustard, 4 tsp 20 0 0 0 480 0

Fruit - Cherry Tomatoes, 1 container (250 gs ea.) 45 8 1 2 0 0

Cornwell's - White Wine Vinegar, 2 Tbsp (15mL) 4 0 0 0 2 0

Total: 1709 231 64 37 553 12

Per Serving: 427 58 16 9 138 3