College/ University Full-time Students: how do you do it?

Options
My fall semester schedule is likely going to be very busy, I have classes and internship all semester. Half the day will be spent in college and the other on work placement. I also commute to/from campus by bus, so it would be difficult to get my workout in in the afternoon (which I've been doing since break). I'm afraid that I'll lose my motivation to workout, due to a busy school schedule. Also deathly afraid of gaining back the weight I have worked so hard to lose.

So for those who are a full-time college/university student, how do you manage your time? I'd really appreciate any tips or advice you can give.

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i just finished up my masters while working full time and the only way it was possible was to schedule everything and bring my breakfast-dinner with me during my day. I worked out at 4:30 in the morning 4x a week before school/work started so I didn't have to worry about it during the day. I just make sure I get to bed early (as possible anyways) and pack everything I need the night before.

You can do it with some proper planning!
  • A_ng_13
    A_ng_13 Posts: 9
    Options
    You have to make sure its like an appointment maybe that means getting up early or going later. You can't beat yourself up if you miss a day and the great thing about school gyms is that you can switch your off days. Also maybe you can't go to the gym but take a walk around campus with a friend in order to make that work out fit your schedule.
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I used to run early in the morning when I had days that my classes didn't start until mid-morning. It might be tough getting up at 6 am, or going to class with your hair not being done nicely, but your body will thank you! Walk to classes whenever possible, too. I barely know the campus bus routes because I avoid using them unless the weather is awful or I'm late.
    Also, if you drink, it's really important to cut back on it. I know it's difficult, I'm in college too, but if you really want to see a change, you can't be drinking like the frat boys (I don't know if you do or don't drink at all, I just know a lot of college students do).
  • Schwarzeaugen
    Schwarzeaugen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I sacrifice time I otherwise might spend w/ friends exercising.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I kind of cheat. I work at a fitness center, haha. So.. I workout sometimes WHILE I work, or before/after if I have time. But I set aside time between classes to eat my lunch and my classes are very demanding, especially my labs (I'm a nursing major) so I will most likely have to boost up my activity level on MFP once school starts.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight my first year of college, I'm starting my second this fall, I focused a lot on the die portion until I could make a schedule that worked for me. It really helped, I lost about 30lbs before starting Summer. Walking to all of my classes helped too. You could try and use the gym at the school. I usually go early morning or at night. Work out videos kind of helped me, I don't really use them though. I like the gym atmosphere much better. But I've heard good results of others with at home videos. I would wait until you fall into routine and see where you have some time to spare. Till then focus on the food aspect, that's what worked for me.
  • Mkin
    Mkin Posts: 43
    Options
    I find little things help such as taking the stairs instead of the lifts etc is a useful way to get in a little bit of exercise. There is also a gym on my campus so going there during my breaks in the day.

It is possible you just have to find time and squeeze it in =)
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm in graduate school and student teaching and I work out first thing in the morning. I also pack all my snacks, lunches, and dinners so I never have to resort to a vending machine or fast food.
  • KeshiaV
    KeshiaV Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm in grad school also and I second everyone's comments. I also make a point to watch out for my late night/study snack foods. I used to be a huge study snacker and usually with the bad stuff- cookies, candy, chips, carbonated drinks, Starbucks, popcorn. Now, I make it a point to revamp my study foods to healthier options so that I don't over indulge :) Good luck with your weight loss and school!
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I work out on my spares and if I don't have one that day. Immediately after school before I start getting into a relaxed mood.
  • happydeer
    Options
    Full-time grad student here, also a bus commuter. Here's what I do:

1) Overnight oats or similar food that's healthy and carefully measured in advance, with no morning prep. I put a quart jar with chia seeds, gluten-free oats, vanilla & soy milk in the fridge and program the precise amounts in MFP at night so all I have to do is click to apply it to breakfast in the morning while I'm eating it! This saves a ton of trouble in the morning and I know how long I'll be full.

2) I drink water whenever I can during the day. I keep track of which water fountains on campus seem fairly clean and I make sure that I'm stopping frequently to drink water throughout the day. This helps keep me feeling full and I make better decisions when I'm not thirsty. During cold/flu season I get a little skeeved out by some of the fountains in my department, so I usually bring a water bottle with an emergen-c packet already dumped into it and just fill that up at school.

3) I track my food very carefully, which makes it easier to make healthier decisions. Realistically, some days all I manage is a healthy breakfast and plenty of water, but other days when I actually exercise and eat particularly well, I feel like I've achieved something. It's a good balance that keeps me on track overall.