Do I need to lose more weight?

Options
I’m a 20 year old female, 5’10 and currently weigh 11 stone 11 pounds(165pounds). Although my bmi is healthy, I still feel overweight. Do I need to lose more weight? Any support/advice would be great

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel overweight? If you are unhappy with your body composition, look into recomposition - increasing muscle while decreasing fat. Someone should be along shortly with a link.

Also, you posting a current picture would be helpful.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    If your bmi is fine, you don't need to lose weight.

If you want to lose a little weight anyway that's fine. But since you're a healthy weight, I'd consider hitting the gym and working on recomp instead. Usually people in a healthy bmi feel better about their weight when they put on a little muscle.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    lozzah555 wrote: »
    I’m a 20 year old female, 5’10 and currently weigh 11 stone 11 pounds(165pounds). Although my bmi is healthy, I still feel overweight. Do I need to lose more weight? Any support/advice would be great

Anything from 130 to 170 pounds places you into the normal range. Obviously this is a big range, to account for different body types, different bone structure, different muscle to fat ratio etc. You are on the upper side of normal, you could gain a bit or lose even 30 pounds and still be in the normal range. What is actually the ideal for you, you cannot decide this based on BMI alone. I am not happy with a BMI above 20-21 or so, and no, it is not a matter of recomp for me. Someone else might look gorgeous even at a BMI of 25. Up to you.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    lozzah555 wrote: »

There's really no "right" answer for this question. Whether your weight is healthy for you personally is between you and your doctor. And there's a lot of leeway in a range of healthy weights where different people will feel comfortable and look the way they want. It also depends where you carry your weight and what your body fat % is.

I have a petite build and feel better when I'm in the lower half of the healthy weight range. I'm currently trying to find the sweet spot where I feel comfortable but I also don't struggle to eat the right amount of calories to stay there :smile:

You don't have to commit to any specific weight. Why not lose another 5 lbs, then sit there for awhile and see how you feel? At that point you can always decide to lose a little more, or maybe let your weight drift back up to where you are now.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    BMI is over-used in determining whether or not someone should or should not choose to lose weight, especially on the high end. My starting MFP weight in 2012 was 178 lbs, 11 pounds shy of the top end of "Normal" by BMI standards, and I was still unhappy with how I looked; thus using MFP to get down as low as 158 in summer of 2013 (which is still in the "normal" range. That said, I still didn't really like how I looked there either so I started lifting seriously and shifted to more of a mindset of continuous improvement than one of weight loss with a finish line. In general, I've always been happier when closer to the average of the four well-known "ideal weight" calculators, which for me is 173 lbs. Coincidentally, this weight puts one closer to the middle of the "Normal" BMI range than either end.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    In terms of health, you don't need to lose more weight unless your doctor feels otherwise.

In terms of appearance, you can choose to lose more weight if you want to. However, recomp is generally a better option for people who are in their optimal BMI range yet not happy with their appearance.
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I haven't had the oumph to do it yet but I'm looking at a recomp at some point. I'm 11 stone 7 and 5.8 so I'm healthy weight just not 100 per cent happy with how I look. I may drop a couple lbs but I think for me it's recomp and building muscle and losing fat