Not weighing myself

Options
I’ve struggled with my weight my whole life. The last time I went on a diet was about 5 years ago and I lost a lot of weight very quickly. I gained it back within about a year then gained a lot more over the next 3 years due to a really bad bout of depression.

I have been back on a diet and exercise plan now for about 2 months. I am feeling so much better and I can tell by my clothes that I am losing weight.

I am not sure how much weight I had gained over the past 3 years and I really don’t want to weigh myself because I feel like if it’s an outrageously high number, I will feel devastated and get really depressed about it.

If I had to guess, I would say that I probably put on 50 lbs. I would also estimate that I have already lost 10-15.

I don’t want to obsess about the number on the scale and I want to wait another month or two until I weigh myself.

Do you think I should go ahead and weigh myself so that I know where I stand or should I just ignore numbers right now and focus on how I feel and how my clothes are fitting? This is something I am really struggling with.

Replies

• leebirm
    leebirm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself once if you feel you have to just for piece of mind and then hide the scales and check back in a month or two and see how you have done.

You said yourself that you can feel the difference in the way your clothes are fitting so I'd only weigh yourself if it is really playing on your mind, if you are seeing results it doesn't matter what you weigh just that you know what you are doing is working.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think you're fine to put off weighing as long as you're aware and making progress. You know you best, and if you feel like it's going to set you back and cause distress then it's probably not worth it. Just concentrate on your health, be honest about what you see in the mirror, and step on the scales when you feel ready.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    A scale is just a feedback machine. If we are involved in weight loss, sometimes, that’s sometimes, it’s the best available data on the overall effectiveness of our program. If you don’t need it, and you think it may upset you, why do it?

When I was younger, I made a big strategic mistake pursuing a number on the scale when what I needed was fitness. You could decide to pursue fitness goals and never get on a scale. That’s up to you.

Last thing. If you do decide to get on a scale, the number is a number. It isn’t you. The number on the scale does not define you any more than your left foot, or your hair, or knees or singing voice define you. It’s data. The best use of the data is to track a trend over time. I prefer week to week but that’s me. If you are trying to lose weight and have a livable downward trend, your plan is working. I think that’s what we get using a scale. And that’s all that we get. Good luck.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Is there someone in your life who you could do blind weigh ins with? Where you weigh but don't look at the number and they record it for you? This way you can get a general idea of your progress without actually having to see the number.
  • SuzOh
    SuzOh Posts: 262 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I'm learning to stay away from the scale as much as possible because I tend to obsess over the numbers as well. The mirror and my clothes tell the story quite well. Do what makes you comfortable and nobody else can tell you what that is.

Congrats on the loss, and remember take it one day at a time and each day is a chance to start fresh!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Weighing is a very personal choice. I weigh daily because it keeps me motivated and engaged. I love seeing the numbers go down.

You have to do what works for you, body and soul.

Good luck with your journey!
  • michellesorace
    michellesorace Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don’t weigh myself. I always have before and I either see the pounds come off and feel I’ve “earned” a cheat, or I don’t see the weight come off and I get discouraged and eat. Either way it doesn’t work for me. You have to decide what will keep you going.
  • lazydynamite
    lazydynamite Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the advice and encouragement, everyone. I appreciate it so much. :)

I am feeling good this week! I have been swimming after work for exercise for the past couple of months but Monday I started waking up at 5:30 and going to the gym for 45 mins before work. I can really feel the difference in my strength and stamina from the months of swimming and eating well. A couple of months ago, I could only go about 12 mins on the elliptical before my legs hurt too much to continue (I was using the treadmill more), but now I can go 45 mins with just a handful of short breaks. Super cool!

I think I am going to wait another month or two before weighing myself. I have a particular dress I haven’t worn in a few years and once I can fit back into it, I will know I am at a weight where I will feel comfortable knowing the number. And then I can set another goal to get even more fit!

Thanks again, everyone! It’s really nice to be able to talk about this stuff with people who understand.

xo!