HELP!! Breastfeeding mama- need to lose 60lbs!

Options
sam456
sam456 Posts: 52 Member
edited August 2019 in Motivation and Support
I’m exclusively breastfeeding and need to lose some serious weight- 60 pounds. I was over weight before I got pregnant, and now gained after I started nursing.

What are some tips and tricks that have worked in losing weight? Also if I plan on eating 1800-1900 kcal, should I also plan on eating calories burned via breastfeeding? After nursing my baby, I usually pump about 30oz a day (meaning I produce more than that). Based on the calculation that bfing burns 20kcal and ounce- that’s about 600+ burneed in a typical day.

Replies

• Lindsay375
    Lindsay375 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I also would urge you to give yourself some more time. But if you put your calories at maintenance, see how you feel, then you’d be at about a 500 cal deficit through the breastfeeding.

I gained about 20 lbs while nursing, same as you I fed baby and pumped between 20-40 ounces extra. Every time I tried to watch my calories my supply dipped, I freaked swung too far in the other direction and gained more. Start slowly, maybe figure out how much you are eating now before starting. I think hormones effect it to, and depending and how far postpartum you are, may still be effecting you to a very large degree.
  • sam456
    Options
    Thank you both! I’m trying to stay healthy and definitely end up trying to keep my supply up when it dips - with my first pregnancy I wasn’t able to lose the weight until I stopped nursing - this time around is lol good like the same

Thank you for the advice - my goal is to nurse as long as I can and waiting to be able to lose it is hard but you are right about not having enough time, etc
  • Mom4diet
    Mom4diet Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi, off topic- I don't understand- you nurse and pump 30 more oz?! How many times a day do you nurse?

I'm nursing a newborn. Personally, I really don't think nursing burns 500 catalogues a day, even though that's common wisdom..,
  • Mom4diet
    Options
    At my weight, if I walk for 150 min. 2 mph, if burn 500 calories.
    I nurse for about 120 minutes a day. That's nowhere near the amount of exercise as me walking at a slowish pace.
    Do you agree?

I'm trying to lose about 35 pounds.
    I'm having a hard time making sure to log. And I don't preplan my meals. Do you think it helps to preplan?
  • sam456
    Options
    Mom4diet wrote: »
    Hi, off topic- I don't understand- you nurse and pump 30 more oz?! How many times a day do you nurse?

I'm nursing a newborn. Personally, I really don't think nursing burns 500 catalogues a day, even though that's common wisdom..,

I nurse my baby and when he stops or falls asleep I pump - as of now he eats about every 4 hours so I pump around the clock about 6 times per day typically 5 oz each time. In the early morning hours or if he goes too long I’ll pump more... he typically drinks about 20-25oz of what Ive pumped - depends on how long he nurses
  • sam456
    Options
    I nurse for about 120 minutes a day. That's nowhere near the amount of exercise as me walking at a slowish pace.
    Do you agree?

I'm having a hard time making sure to log. And I don't preplan my meals. Do you think it helps to preplan?

I agree in that I don’t think it burns 500 calories... what I found online was that each ounce contains 20 calories so that’s what I count... but clearly that’s not working for me ... usually when I use mfp I do t eat back calories I’ve burned but I’m not sure how it works when breastfeeding... I end up seeing a dip in supply and get too scared to push thru
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Do you agree?

Don't forget that your body needs to produce the milk in the first place. It doesn't get delivered by the supermarket, you know.
  • brittgreenlikethecolor88
    brittgreenlikethecolor88 Posts: 1,080 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Breastfeeding mama here too! How long ago did you have your little one?? I'm still nursing my 2nd little guy and he's about 13 months old now. Overall, been breastfeeding nonstop for over 2 1/2 years lol I waited to start losing weight until my youngest son reached my "minimum breastfeeding age goal." I wanted him to nurse AT LEAST 6 months. To make sure we reached this goal, I put off my desire to lose the baby weight. Just incase it dropped my supply. Be aware that restricting your diet can effect this. With you producing well over what your kiddo is consuming right now, it doesnt sound like that will be an issue lol But, still. Just keep it in mind.

With me, after the 6 months, I eased into tracking calories. I still give myself wiggle room with a few hundred calories since I'm still breastfeeding. I don't technically "eat back" my "bf"ing calories. Just use loose tracking . Weight is still dropping gradually and my supply hasn't been effected.

I have plans of more serious intermittant fasting after I'm finished breastfeeding all togther.

I guess what i'm trying to say is dont rush yourself "bounce back" from your pregnancy. It will happen! :smile: Congrats btw!!!
  • Mom4diet
    Options
    sam456 wrote: »
    I nurse my baby and when he stops or falls asleep I pump - as of now he eats about every 4 hours so I pump around the clock about 6 times per day typically 5 oz each time. In the early morning hours or if he goes too long I’ll pump more... he typically drinks about 20-25oz of what Ive pumped - depends on how long he nurses

If he nurses every 4 hours, when is he drinking the pumped bottles?
  • InspiredBrunette
    InspiredBrunette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Currently breastfeeding my 2 month old
    I gained 40lbs while pregnant and have lost 35lbs since then most of it kinda just fell off 🤷🏻‍♀️
    But I’m eating 1800 and have lost 1.6lbs a week I mostly just exclusively breast feed but pump 2-3 times a day for 10 mins
    I’m still over weight and plan to lose at least 30lbs add me breastfeeding mama’s
  • mebelfanti
    mebelfanti Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a breastfeeding mom too! I'm trying to go easy on myself in terms of weightloss since feeding my baby is the number one priority, but so few of my clothes fit and I'm just generally uncomfortable. Now that I'm back at work I need to do something so I don't have to buy a whole new wardrobe. I gained way too much during pregnancy and I need to lose about 50lbs to get to my pre-pregnancy weight. I just started logging on here again after taking about a year or so off, so feel free to add me!