Help with the girls! (Women Only)

Options
Eve53
Eve53 Posts: 178 Member
So, today I started a run program that someone recommended to me. www.c25k.com . It seemed really interesting, and like something I could do. I wanted to start walking and eventually get into running anyways, and this is a good plan to get me there. So I went out all excited about my walk/run, and the walking went pretty well... but when I started running I ran into some problems. EVERYTHING MOVES!

I'm pretty big in the chest area, I kinda knew that was going to be a problem. So I wore a sports bra and hoped for the best. Well it didn't help that much, I was still all over the place and not only that but everything else moved too. My stomach was jiggling and making it hard to keep my pants up and my shirt down. I felt so uncomfortable, not only physically but I was super self conscious too.

My friend says I need a new sports bra, she recommended this one bit.ly/S3G6b but I don't have that kind of money, like ever. Is there any low cost alternatives, or any other things you girls can recommend that will make me more comfortable when I'm running? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Have you tried wearing a bra and 2 sports bras? I have a few friends that have done that to keep the girls down. It might get hot, but you could try wearing one of those tight fitting camisoles? You could probably find one at a reasonable price at Target or Walmart! I've found that the 3/4 yoga pants work great when I'm feeling a bit insecure with the shorts too!
    Best of luck to you! Keep it up and don't let this discourage you from running! Kelly :flowerforyou:
  • Eve53
    Options
    I didn't wear shorts, I wore sweats. Maybe I should invest in some stretch pants. I know they have them cheap at the dollar store. Next time I run I'm going to try the extra bra's. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Yes, try the yoga pants/spandex they are usually tighter at the waist and stay in place better. They also help hold thing in place.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    double up on sports bras! i do two sports bras (2 pack at sams club for $20ish) and a workout tank with shelf bra.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    A sports bra with a structured workout top will be enough. I'm a g cup and that's enough to control my womanly bits.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i wear a sports bra with underwire and a sports crop top (no underwire) at the same time. It hold everything much better.

i've dropped a lot of my boobs whilst losing weight, but i still need to wear the 2 bras. I done boxing the other day with only one bra on, and he made us do star jumps, and i realised that, yep, even at D, I'm still needing 2 bras.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I LOVE moving comfort sports bras ... everything stays in place and I am a happy camper!
  • chinamonkey
    chinamonkey Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have to say i feel your pain - literally!

I tried running with 2 bras and a "shock absorber - level 4" sports bra - the sturdiest in the uk market - and the boob pain was unbearable! Im an H cup but at the time was a FF

Also - i think im going to go on dragons den or something - they should make a sports bra for bums and tums!

I think i need the humber bridge engineering team on my girls!

good luck, i hope you find something that helps xxxx
  • Hatshepsu
    Options
    Eve:
    It WILL get better. I've joined here recently (Aug) as well, but took this weight off before I had a kid and complications from recovering from giving birth. When I first started to exercise at 232 lbs I thought I would try Aquafit. The idea was: no one can see me underwater and it will be a nice, soothing workout surrounded by cool water. Right? Wrong! I was in SO much pain--everything moved and therefore everything either hurt or ITCHED (does anyone else get that crazy ITCH in the thighs, boobs, tummy when their really moving?). So the empathy, my dear, is there. :)

But I didn't want to post until I had as much information as possible. I read over C25K this evening and then went on a huuuge research on the web binge based on your post. First, I think those of us who are out of shape when/if we start a running program like this have to really take his advice to heart: SLOW the whole process down.

As for the "girls". I wish I could just get you the perfect sports bra that would start to help. The problem with this, of course, is cost and fit. Is there any way you could put aside something like $1-2 a week until you have about $40 to spend on a bra? And maybe make a bra-fitting in a decent store as a reward for meeting a Mini-goal? If so, maybe you can afford something that will make you FEEL both inward and outward better when you are attempting to exercise. I'm not sure your size, but I'm a 38FF currently and I know that I have to invest some $$ in a bra in order for it to support my "girls" well and to make sure that I'm not hurting my back when I'm doing heavy exercise. I also found the following ideas online:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/207932-the-best-sports-bras-for-big-breasts/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/527350-pain-in-large-breasts-running/?utm_source=popup&utm_medium=1
    http://caloriecount.about.com/big-boobs-make-running-painful-ft83475

I found the part about back exercises interesting, as my physiotherapist gave the the SAME advice earlier this year--I've got to get back to my back exercises! :)

Also, ebay does actually have an Intimates section where you could look for something affordable and good quality (eg. super supportive) in your size, perhaps?

http://fashion.ebay.com/womens-clothing/Intimates-Sleep/11514

But as I started this reply: this gets easier. If you're set on running, certainly keep trying, but if not: walk. Walk lots and walk enough to get your heart rate up--that's all the cardio that some of us well-endowed girls need. Then look around on these threads or other places online for a simple set of Strength exercises to improve your muscle tone. Once your muscle-to-fat ratio goes up, some of that painful jiggling will start to fade. Seriously, it will. And good luck!
  • KatScarberry
    KatScarberry Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm large in the chest area too (by choice, not naturally) - and my "girls" ended up getting a lot bigger after the birth of my two children. Needless to say when I run, so do they!!! I usually use two sport bras and sometimes even a regular bra, depending on which kinds of sport bras I'm using. I don't know if you have any New Balance stores around you, but if you do I just bought a sport bra there a few weeks ago and I absolutely LOVE it. I can wear it alone & the girls pretty much stay in place!!!

Best of luck to you!!!

:happy:
  • roxygrissom
    Options
    Maybe a large ace wrap on top of your sports bra?
  • Eve53
    Options
    Roxygrissom - Oh that's a good idea! It might be a cheap alternative in the meantime while I'm saving up for some more bras!

Hatshepsu - Thank you for your advice, and thank you for actually taking the time to look into it. I am taking it slow for sure, I couldn't even do the recommended 60 seconds of running, I usually got to about 30 seconds and gave up and eventually I just gave up on the running all together. But I will get there! It may take me longer than the program suggests, but that's ok, I've got all the time in the world.

Some of you women are making me cringe, I feel so badly for you. I'm not nearly as big as some of you (in the chest area that is) and yet here I am complaining. But you've given me hope, if you can do it so can I! I'll just have to pack on the bras!
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    my husband just started doing the c25k, and he can't jog for more than 30 secs either but everyday he said its been getting a little bit easier.. anyway keep it up!!

re: the girls when i first started i would wear a normal underwire bra, then a cheap sports bra i had, then a tight shelf cami. i tuck the cami into my yoga pants so it doesn't ride up as i jog, and i flip the fold down waist on my yoga pants up for more tummy support, so i don't jiggle so much :) then throw a shirt on top!

if you find you keep running, save up and get a nice sports bra. i love title nine! i just bought an amazing one for 40 bucks and my DD's don't go anywhere!