Upper abdomen sticks out!!

Options
chasetwins
chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
Ok I posted this in the nutrition part because I read somewhere (another forum) that certain food groups can cause this. Kind of want to get MFP's thoughts on this.

Thanks to pregnancies (single and twins) - ectopic pregnancy removal and C section for twins - I will never have a completely flat beautiful belly. I am ok with that LOL

However my lower abdomen (below belly button) is getting pretty flat while my upper abdomen (just below belly button up to natural waist) sticks out a good inch or so more than my lower ?!?! Can I tell you how annoying this is?

I read on the forum that carbs can be the cause for this..?
First anyone experience this issue and correct it? If so HOW??? :) I know I can not spot reduce...but if I am losing belly fat..shouldn't it be across the whole belly?

And second - if no one has this problem do you believe that carbs can cause the upper abdomen to swell? If so what foods should I avoid??

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Poor muscle tone and stretched skin is more likely the cause. Losing weight (belly fat is usually the last to go), doing ab exercise (plank is an excellent core strengthener) and time are your best options.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    That's actually my body type, lol. My upper belly has always been bigger than my lower.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    In my experience it will come off eventually. I am JUST starting to look like I am not 6 months pregnant (DD sat way up high and it looked just like that). I looked at your diary and it seems like your carbs are at a reasonable low to moderate level so I would be surprised if it is that. You could play around with eating/not eating various grains and see if it does anything noticeable, though my guess is that you would already know if it was a problem for you because it can be pretty obvious (hard, tight bloating after certain foods).
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Me too!
  • chasetwins
    Options
    In my experience it will come off eventually. I am JUST starting to look like I am not 6 months pregnant (DD sat way up high and it looked just like that). I looked at your diary and it seems like your carbs are at a reasonable low to moderate level so I would be surprised if it is that. You could play around with eating/not eating various grains and see if it does anything noticeable, though my guess is that you would already know if it was a problem for you because it can be pretty obvious (hard, tight bloating after certain foods).

Thank you :)

Will give it some more time before I start getting all dramatic about my food diary haha Other than veggie / fruits I did not think I consumed a whole lot of "bad" carbs where it could cause an issue - and I agree with the high pregnancy..exactly how my oldest sat towards the end :)
  • christinemac17
    christinemac17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem!! In fact the majority of the fat that is on by body is all around my torso :( but... what I've noticed in my weight loss journey, is that some areas get smaller first. For example sometimes I swear my upper abdomen is getting larger, when in fact, my middle and lower belly is gettint a little smaller. Its like it starts to even/balance out as you continue to lose fat

However, I've read a lot about 'apple shapes' which I am, and maybe you are too? And we do much better with a lower carb diet than say an hour glass or pear shape. I've recently started the Whole30 with very good success, the first thing that has gone down (in 11 days!) is my stomach. I just know wheat particularly makes my belly bloat more

just keep up the good work and the fat will burn off (eventually)
  • GeminiDelight
    GeminiDelight Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    when this happens to me it is bc i am eating foods that are causing bloating. i dont know if that is your problem though. i have fructose intolerance. i get bloated if i eat too much fruit, wheat, sugar, or beans. sometimes i take a charcoal pill to reduce the gas but that gives me constipation. what happens to me is that i cant digest the sugars so they move through to my intestines not broken down. the bacteria in my gut then eats it. they poop out gas. i get bloated. but only the top of my abdomen.
  • chasetwins
    Options
    I do not feel bloated at all and bowel movements are regular (I Know TMI lol) -

I too feel like the upper got bigger.. looking at the lower..the lower is by far way smaller than it was 2 months ago but the upper just did not budge. Weirdest thing I have ever seen!! It annoys me because I can fit into a smaller shirt now but then I see the upper belly stick out in the middle and I will not wear them. I end up wearing my old baggy shirts to cover it :(

I think I am going to check it out daily and compare with diary maybe to see if foods do affect it like you said..if so those foods will be eliminated before going out LMAO ;)
  • GeminiDelight
    GeminiDelight Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    my bowel movements were still regular. :shrug:

it is just another opinion. i keep a detailed food journal. if i eat something i shouldnt, the bloat starts within 10 hours. it takes me 3 days for it to go away. i guess that is how longs it takes me to move it out of my system.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Could you have diastasis recti? A split of the abdominal muscles? Even a slight split or stretching can cause this effect. Google it and see if you do. The exercises to help improve it are different. but still doable on your own at home or the gym!

I have had a singleton and twins with both being c-sections and I too have this. Although it is not related to the c-sections....just the stretching of a large first baby and then two babies who were also pretty big considering. lol
  • chasetwins
    Options
    my bowel movements were still regular. :shrug:

it is just another opinion. i keep a detailed food journal. if i eat something i shouldnt, the bloat starts within 10 hours. it takes me 3 days for it to go away. i guess that is how longs it takes me to move it out of my system.

eeek! Definitely something for me to keep in mind :/ Thank you!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It's just the way your body has rearranged I suppose. I have seen this a lot on ladies and I just figured it was their specific construction.
  • ShutterBugMomof2
    Options
    Could you have diastasis recti? A split of the abdominal muscles? Even a slight split or stretching can cause this effect. Google it and see if you do. The exercises to help improve it are different. but still doable on your own at home or the gym!

I have had a singleton and twins with both being c-sections and I too have this. Although it is not related to the c-sections....just the stretching of a large first baby and then two babies who were also pretty big considering. lol

My daughter was 9 lb 10oz and when I measured myself I was 5 1/2 feet around. My starting weight was 160 gained 50 lost 40. My OB told me that she separated my abdominal muscles from the wall and they will never be flat again unless I opt for surgery. Mine looks like a hump then saggy, over stretch marked skin after that little hump. Hoping by the time I reach my goal things will even some what out.

Our bodies are pretty amazing machine, and even with the wear and tear through kids and life. Next female appointment, talk to your lady doctor. She/ he will give you some options. :)
  • chasetwins
    Options

My daughter was 9 lb 10oz and when I measured myself I was 5 1/2 feet around. My starting weight was 160 gained 50 lost 40. My OB told me that she separated my abdominal muscles from the wall and they will never be flat again unless I opt for surgery. Mine looks like a hump then saggy, over stretch marked skin after that little hump. Hoping by the time I reach my goal things will even some what out.

Our bodies are pretty amazing machine, and even with the wear and tear through kids and life. Next female appointment, talk to your lady doctor. She/ he will give you some options. :)

hmmm I guess that is a good chance - the twins were both almost 6 pounds (I gained almost 100 with them!) full term preg. Will check into this!! :)
  • chasetwins
    Options
    OK I have a new question for the ladies that have diastasis recti

When you sneeze or bend over say the sink or tub...does it feel like something is twisted or stuck in your abdomen and then you can actually feel it release or unwind as the pain subsides???

Reason I ask this - I have this issue have told the doctors about it and they have NO findings..reading about the diastasis recti..it would make sense that this could be the issue. The organ gets stuck in between when i sneeze or move a certain way as I try to relax my body..it gets unstuck...
  • 2ht2hand1e
    2ht2hand1e Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    That's really interested that it hurts like that when you bend over and stuff. Could be diastasis recti I guess? I'd maybe get a second opinion on your pain from a doctor. I know for me that it does feel like my organs aren't all back in place yet. When I do certain exercises I can feel almost a cavity that makes it like a vacuum where I suck in air involuntarily. Its really hard to describe, and my description might not make sense lol. I was told that a way to determine if you have D.R. is to lie flat on your back and press your fingers into your abs right above your belly button while crunching. If you can fit one or two fingers in there, it's normal, but three or more indicates that your abs split. I don't think I have it, and it's fairly rare, but my skin is definitely stretched out. It's not pretty. A flat stomach used to be how I decided that I was thin and fit enough. I have to look at myself differently now.
  • ACrouch1357
    ACrouch1357 Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I was just searching this same exact topic. I've been noticing a lot of things about my own personal weight loss lately...

My body is the same right now. Upper belly looks bigger. I think my lower belly/gut has reduced in size and it makes the upper look bigger contextually. Maybe this is the same for you. Also, fat does indeed rearrange itself through weight loss.

Unfortunately no though, in my experience you can never expect weight to come off evenly. Not at all. Just gotta stick it out and it might even go last where you want and it sucks!!!!! Boo.

Also, side note to everyone:

Recently I did extra low carbs and lower than normal calories for me (1200 instead of 1500-1600), and I literally got so depressed and weak I wanted to die. Some things are not for everyone...
    I went back to at least 1500 calories a day and back to including bread and even beer in my diet in moderation and I feel like a super hero. We need fuel!!!! What's the point of dieting if you have no energy?
    I can now work out like a champ, am in a way better mood and am efficiently losing weight and feeling great. Be patient and do what makes you feel best!!! Your body is your greatest educational reference on weight loss. It's such a personal thing. Your physical and emotional response to this process will answer all questions in the end.

Good luck and stick with it!!!!! Yours and my upper belly will go away (eventually lol) and it will be awesome!!!!
  • successrevenge
    successrevenge Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Did you ever get this figured out? Some people say it could be a fatty liver, something not brought on by alcohol but by insulin resistance. I have the same issue. I stopped losing weight and have most of the symptoms. They say it takes anywhere from a month to 3 years to clean up eating the right foods (ie NO bread or sugar carbs) and possibly taking choline or eating foods that have choline in them such as whole eggs. Plus eat cauliflower and broccoli.
  • chasetwins
    Options
    Did you ever get this figured out? Some people say it could be a fatty liver, something not brought on by alcohol but by insulin resistance. I have the same issue. I stopped losing weight and have most of the symptoms. They say it takes anywhere from a month to 3 years to clean up eating the right foods (ie NO bread or sugar carbs) and possibly taking choline or eating foods that have choline in them such as whole eggs. Plus eat cauliflower and broccoli.

Hi, I personally have not however it seemed to of gone down quite a bit but I also lost a ton of weight. I still eat bread however my carbs are much lower and almost equal to protein intake. I eat broccoli and cauli way more than any human should lol.
    I also partake in more strength training than I used to. I am not sure what is to thank for the decrease.
    I still get the feeling an organ gets stuck when I sneeze or bend the wrong way however...and it is very painful!! Drs think i am nuts SMH
  • towerbell
    towerbell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello;
    I have the same issue, you are not nuts. I thought I had a hernia. When I would bend over, not all the time, but sometimes, it felt like an organ popped out of where it was supposed to be and was sticking out of my stomach. I have never looked to see if you can actually see something poking, but I would put my hand and try to push it back. It was scary and painful. I also have this upper belly, I never had this until the past couple of years. I'm gonna diagnose my self with diastasis recti. It's got to be that. I have always done sit ups, but stopped about 15 years ago when I hurt my neck and was in a lot of pain. I've been doing acupuncture and its worked wonders for me. I am off my narcotic after 15 years. It's totally crazy. I'm so happy about that, but so unhappy that my upper stomach which is all consuming and so uncomfortable. It doesn't feel like my body. Anyway, I'm gonna start doing exercises to correct this diastasis recti. I'll let you know if any work and if I feel any different.