Doing this for my little girl

Options
So I woke up a few days ago and decided that after 31 years I am tired of pretending to be "comfortable" with my weight and how I look. All these years I have been so good at putting on this confident persona that people always comment is so inspiring. I have been the big girl who is soooo happy being the big girl that I almost convinced myself. Then I went to the park with my little girl who is 3 and realized that I was too big to go down the slide and it hurt me to my heart that I could not play with my daughter.

I called and made an appointment with a bariatric surgeon but thought that I would give it one more try before I made this move to surgery.

So here I am.....new to the "healthy" eating movement...normally I just stop eating or do a severe NO carb plan that consists of peanut butter and cheese with 2hrs of exercise a day (and to be fair i lost a HUGE amount of weight) but as soon as I eat a crouton I gain it all back and more!

SO.......I am going to try the calorie reduction method with normal moderate exercise and see how much I can lose before my pre-op appointment and if the weight loss is significant enough then maybe I can forego the surgery all together!

I am looking forward to sharing this journey with all of you.....granted you are complete strangers...but hey that makes you completely unbiased right? :bigsmile:

Replies

• startingnow2009
    Options
    So I woke up a few days ago and decided that after 31 years I am tired of pretending to be "comfortable" with my weight and how I look. All these years I have been so good at putting on this confident persona that people always comment is so inspiring. I have been the big girl who is soooo happy being the big girl that I almost convinced myself. Then I went to the park with my little girl who is 3 and realized that I was too big to go down the slide and it hurt me to my heart that I could not play with my daughter.

I called and made an appointment with a bariatric surgeon but thought that I would give it one more try before I made this move to surgery.

So here I am.....new to the "healthy" eating movement...normally I just stop eating or do a severe NO carb plan that consists of peanut butter and cheese with 2hrs of exercise a day (and to be fair i lost a HUGE amount of weight) but as soon as I eat a crouton I gain it all back and more!

SO.......I am going to try the calorie reduction method with normal moderate exercise and see how much I can lose before my pre-op appointment and if the weight loss is significant enough then maybe I can forego the surgery all together!

I am looking forward to sharing this journey with all of you.....granted you are complete strangers...but hey that makes you completely unbiased right? :bigsmile:
  • startingnow2009
    Options
    I almost forgot my ticker.....I LOVE this and cant believe I forgot it!!

157021.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. You will love this site if you don't already. I love this site, it is so motivational, supportive, helpful, and everyone is so nice, and friendly. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.
  • startingnow2009
    Options
    Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and good for you-taking the first step is always the hardest, but you'll find lots of people here to give you support and a shoulder to lean on when you need it!!! I applaud you for trying to lose weight on your own instead of going for surgery-sometimes the quickest way isn't the best, and I hope you reach all your goals!!!:drinker: :drinker:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    welcome a board- You can do it- Don't think bariatric surgery is going to solve your problem I know people who have had it done and yeah they lost it but since they didn't get the way they eat under control they packed it back on- Which just proves there is no quick fix to weight loss except portion control/moderation and becoming active.
    Not to mention your stomach is a muscle that can shrink and expand so cutting it to a smaller size doesn't mean it will stay that way- So I am glad you chose to do it this way rather than the other alternative.
  • startingnow2009
    Options
    I feel like I need to clarify something....I am still on track to have the surgery i just wanted to see if I can do this as well. As someone mentioned the surgery wont work unless you change your eating habits and I feel like this journey will allow me to get in the healthy mindframe prior to surgery so that the change in eating wont be a traumatic experience LOL.

either way I already feel so welcome here thanks to all of you!!! I am truly looking forward to sharing this "loss" with all of you and helping you to reach your goals as well!!

Check it out...in 2 days I have lost 2 lbs!!! probably just water weight but I will take it man!!!

157021.png
  • jvandertuin
    Options
    You can do this! I was in the same boat...I had no energy to play with my boys and would read while they played in the park. I have always been active and want my boys to be active so they learn that being healthy is fun and does not consist of playing video games and leading a sedentary lifestyle.

By being healthy, you are doing so much for your little girl. My boys see their Dad go for a 10 kms run and they come with me to go to the gym (they are 3 and 6). To them, they've seen physical activity and accept it as a lifestyle and they can't wait to go for a "run and be fast like Daddy and be strong like Mommy".

Remember, weight loss is not quick. You didn't put it on over night, you can't take if off overnight. Being healthy means a gradual loss and changing bad habits and learning good ones. I've lost 16lbs on my own since December, but this site makes it much easier.

You can do it...for yourself and your little girl! The journey begins with one step...take each step and know you are doing one of the most important things in life.

Good luck!
  • startingnow2009
    Options
    Sounds like you completely get my situation love! Even down to the reading while she plays!! I feel like such a schmuck!!

Today seemed a bit easier.....I ended the day with a +563 calorie consumption...meaning I had an EXTRA 563 calories that could have been eaten today.....and I am on a daily goal of 1300. Must be doing something right since I wasnt hungry AND I was staying within the parameters of MFP journal goals! :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

157021.png
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you completely get my situation love! Even down to the reading while she plays!! I feel like such a schmuck!!

Today seemed a bit easier.....I ended the day with a +563 calorie consumption...meaning I had an EXTRA 563 calories that could have been eaten today.....and I am on a daily goal of 1300. Must be doing something right since I wasnt hungry AND I was staying within the parameters of MFP journal goals! :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

157021.png

Oh honey, eat!! You eat every single one of those calories alloted to you! It is just as detrimental to your health (and weight loss) to not eat. It slows your metabolism down so that to continue to lose weight, you have to continue to eat literally like a bird.

Hehe, now for the welcoming part:

I'm so glad you joined us! You sound like you have the right motivation behind you and the right knowledge and support (that you can get at MFP) this will begin a lifelong journey towards health. :flowerforyou:

**Edit

Pretty please go through the links on this thread. :bigsmile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

I want EVERYONE to be successful, and there is a process that works. So many people on MFP have proved it. :drinker:
  • jvandertuin
    Options
    Absolutely...don't starve yourself, I did/do and it doesn't work. Feel free to read my latest blog, because it obviously doesn't work. You eat ALL of those exercise calories or you will gain. Heed my advice! It seems counter intuitive, but it is so true. I knew about not eating enough, but didn't take in what I preach. Absolutely read what allenm posted about newbies. It is VERY true.

You can do it!
  • startingnow2009
    Options
    I have to say when I first looked at the amount I had left I was shocked too but then I looked at what I ate and truly feel like I did ok.......I guess the site gave me more calories allotted because of how much I worked out today.....That part I dont quite get...if I work out GREAT right...why tempt me by telling me I can eat ANOTHER 1k calories?? seems counter productive......

I promise you though I am eating I am soooo eating!! :bigsmile:

157021.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I have to say when I first looked at the amount I had left I was shocked too but then I looked at what I ate and truly feel like I did ok.......I guess the site gave me more calories allotted because of how much I worked out today.....That part I dont quite get...if I work out GREAT right...why tempt me by telling me I can eat ANOTHER 1k calories?? seems counter productive......

I promise you though I am eating I am soooo eating!! :bigsmile:

Oh good! :bigsmile: Don't get the exercise calorie part though? See below:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Look at how helpful I am. :blushing: :laugh:

I'll go away now, I just love passing along good info. :embarassed: