Squats With Smith Machine

Options
My gym only has Smith machines, no barbells. I see a lot of people, especially women with their feet out in front of their body and lean back into the squat. Is this another variation or bad technique? My knees aren't the best and was wondering if there is any benefit to this?

Replies

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Don't quote me but I believe that targets the glutes more than conventional squats, pretty much like doing chair squats
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    Don't quote me but I believe that targets the glutes more than conventional squats, pretty much like doing chair squats

Oops, I quoted you. 😬

That type of squat emphasizes quads more than glutes.

OP: If you have knee issues that are aggravated by conventional squats, this might be an option; but I would try sit to stands first or even a wall squat (which is similar movement to the Smith squat you are describing, but less cumbersome), and see how you do with the decreased knee angle.
  • ryanmichaelhorn
    ryanmichaelhorn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about your knees, it might be worth trying a knee support sleeve as well as getting in a few extra warm up sets with light weight before getting into your working sets.