Training dog to run with me

Options
Hello. I currently run 3-4 days a week and would love to be able to get my dog out running with me since I’m a young woman who runs early in the morning / later in the evening when it’s cooler. I run both in the country and in the city. My dog is a 1 year old goldendoodle. We’ve tried running a few blocks with her then walking (repeat). She will do it 2-3 times and then lay down and not move. I tried bringing water along for her and that didn’t work either. I run super slow at a 11.5-12 min mile. It nerve racking because she will run around and play in the yard for hours, but won’t run with me. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to train her to run with me?

Replies

• glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Is she food motivated, or praise motivated? Is it always the same place on the route, or does it vary? What surfaces are you running on? Do you have dominance? Have you had her checked out at the vets, especially hips, elbows, feet, etc? Is she nervous around traffic, or wary of potential danger? What collar or harness are you using?

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you started her too fast on running and her muscles are sore. Did you build up her endurance for it?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    so a check with a vet isn't uncalled for. just like if you did sports in school, you had to get a physical.
    also, some dogs think running is dumb. playing is fun, running dumb.
    i did couch25k with my first dog. fartleks with my second. my foster dogs, i only take for 1-3 miles starting closer to 13min/mi.
    then you have to decide if you want them to run next to you or canicross style. it depends on the dog. my dogs are mostly working breeds.
    i chose canicross style because it gives them a job. they run in front and pull me. part of their job is to know: wait, walk, slow, left, right, get it(go faster). my leash reactive dog is now too focused on her job. my recovering feral is confident because she is literally running away from her problems. it teaches my foster dogs to run with a pack.
  • sheltondq
    sheltondq Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Is she food motivated, or praise motivated? Is it always the same place on the route, or does it vary? What surfaces are you running on? Do you have dominance? Have you had her checked out at the vets, especially hips, elbows, feet, etc? Is she nervous around traffic, or wary of potential danger? What collar or harness are you using?
    she is attention motivated. She wants both rubs, and treats. She really doesn’t want treats while out on runs or walks. We run/walk on asphalt/ sidewalks. Her vet said she is fine to run, and her genetic history is clear for any issues. She is ok around cars. She doesn’t like when cars beep their horns (people in my neighborhood like to beep as they pass, instead of wave like sane people). After cars pass sometimes she speeds up after them for a few seconds. She lays down in different places each time. And I have a harness that lays on their breast bone but is open except around her waist. She pulls when using a collar.

• sheltondq
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Perhaps you started her too fast on running and her muscles are sore. Did you build up her endurance for it?

So far we walk a mile regularly. But she barely runs 3 blocks.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    I'll say what it sounds like to me, but I wouldn't want you to accept it without seeing someone in the flesh.
    I think, as mbaker already suggested, she's just not into it. Poodles tend to take commands as suggestions unless you really mean it, and they're often so naturally polite that it's easy to miss dominance issues.
    If that's the case, you could assert your dominance and train her to comply, or you could allow her to opt out.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    sheltondq wrote: »
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

So far we walk a mile regularly. But she barely runs 3 blocks.

I know for me and my dogs running and walking are two very different things.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a rabbit? Works for greyhounds.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have a golden retriever. With his thick fur, he overheats quickly in the summer. When he lays down, it's because he's too hot. I don't run with him because I don't want to make him sick. Your dog is also very young. Generally with a large dog it is recommended not running continuously until they are at least 18 months old. Running puts stress on the bones and can lead to issues when they get older. But your dog also is basically a puppy still, so running continuously isn't play, it's work and not something she's going to want to do. She wants to sniff and pee and sniff and circle and pee some more. They have a short attention span. You might try walking a mile or so, letting her do her thing, then gradually change the pace and run more consistently.

This.

Also, the temperature at which a golden-related dog becomes uncomfortable is much lower than a human.

Most vets advise against having dogs exercise vigorously (or sometimes even walking) when temperature + humidity exceeds 150.
    I live outside Chicago. These days, even at 5 am, the temp is upper 60s and humidity is 95+. That is way too warm for a golden. We go out in short intervals so he gets some outside time, but he is gassed after 20 min. I misjudged this morning and we were out 30 and I practically had to carry him home.

In infuriates me when I see people out running with dogs on afternoon summer days. The humans strut along in their tank tops and baseball caps while their dogs are being tortured.

Just take it slow and let the dog tell you if they enjoy running or not.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I have a yellow lab. I don't know where you live, but down here in Texas we spend the month of August under a heat advisory. I'm talking by 6:00 AM it is already way too hot to be out running with a dog. I might take her out for a walk, but it will be less than a mile and I let her set the pace.
  • sheltondq
    Options
    We live in Va. so it gets hot, but the temp is not horrible in the morning, and I trim her fur in the summer. I’ll give her more time to grow up & talk to the vet again. Thank you for all of your recommendations.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I have golden doodles. They are not able to run like that - they aren't built for it and they overheat easily. Please please don't keep torturing your dog; she would probably try to run to please you but it will harm her. Straight out running is a lot different than chasing balls/running around the back yard.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    Just a thought... Have you got space and finance for two dogs? Two aren't much more trouble than one, in fact it's easier in some ways. If you do, you could head down to the local rescue pound and, literally, take a few out for a test run.

• glovepuppet
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    I have golden doodles. They are not able to run like that - they aren't built for it and they overheat easily. Please please don't keep torturing your dog; she would probably try to run to please you but it will harm her. Straight out running is a lot different than chasing balls/running around the back yard.
    I don't agree. With mixes, you don't know which parent the dog will take after most, but they're both solid gundogs, built for working. Poodles are fairly heat tolerant (though, as with any dog, you always have to monitor) and they're certainly built to run. In the 70s a guy used to run a poodle team in the Iditarod, and they beat plenty of husky teams. Goldens aren't quite as impressive, but they're still capable.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Just a thought... Have you got space and finance for two dogs? Two aren't much more trouble than one, in fact it's easier in some ways. If you do, you could head down to the local rescue pound and, literally, take a few out for a test run.

or some shelters have running programs for the dogs. so if your doodle isn't a fan, you help another dog get out.

i've run my girls in hot weather. but we run with access to water and the slowest person/dog sets the pace. (border/rough collie mix and lab/cattle dog mix) but we keep it under six miles. if when i ask if they want to go and they don't respond, i don't bring them along. they usually cut themselves off at 85f
    plus we have a puppy pool
    7qob7iev8igi.png

or we have a couple of dog parks that are more of trails instead of an open field, i run there and the girls play