Ready to change life, not just my weight!

Options
Hello everyone,

I am new to MFP but very excited and hopeful. My mom was placed in ICU on Friday for her uncontrolled diabetes. This put my butt into gear... I want better for myself. I want a LIFE! I was diagnosed with PCOS which makes weight loss pretty tough but I am determined to tackle it! Please let me know if anyone else has PCOS and is trying this out! I have zero self esteem at the moment but thanks to an amazing husband I have lots of support. I want to feel beautiful for once in my life. Nice to meet everyone :)

Replies

• Michelle9939
    Options
    I also have PCOS. I need to lose weight and live life healthier so I don't become a diabetic. When I was pregnant with my youngest, I developed gestational diabetes. Right now I have about 54 pounds to lose.
    I hope your mom gets better.
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS, had two surgeries within a two year time period for my ovaries and multiple cysts. It is a struggle to lose weight... and given the fact that I run half marathons all the time, people wondered how I could do that and still be overweight. I learned our bodies process differently, despite the amount of exercise. I have been having great success so far with MyFitnessPal and doing Shakeology simultaneously... (no, I'm not a Beachbody coach, etc - just blessed a good friend turned me on to the product). I've lost 4.5 pounds this week and I'm hoping this combination will kick the habit once and for all of the PCOS weight yoyo. :smile:
  • megg0889
    Options
    Nice to have someone who can relate! I also don't want to become diabetic and I am needing to lose weight before trying to conceive. I am a full time nursing student about to graduate so I know the importance of a healthy lifestyle.... just haven't followed one until now :(
  • bearsfan68
    bearsfan68 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Good luck on your journey!
  • megg0889
    Options
    Congrats on your success Faeriegirl74!! 4.5 in a week is fantastic! My first goal is 50 lbs by March 1st, 2012. My pinning ceremony from nursing school is March 2nd and my graduation from college is March 3rd.
  • thepearlgirl
    Options
    so glad you are here. i also have pcos and actually had to have a hysterectomy several years ago due to all the tumors. i am doing the atkins diet which i just started hard core. i have read a lot on pcos and diabetes as i am borderline there too. a low carbohydrate diet is the way to go with either or both of these two ailments. i am eating lots of turkey and seafood with lots of salads and veggies. i am absolutely missing my carbs and sugar pretty badly right now; however i intend to see this through as i want to have a healthy life! i have lots of dreams and goals i want to accomplish. i am not looking at this as a diet but more of a lifestyle change for a healthier and happier me. i wish you the best and i will be here to celebrate your victories with you!

love, peace and much happiness!
  • thepearlgirl
    Options
    i feel so rude. i meant to say that i am sorry to hear about your mom too and that i really hope she gets better and will take care of herself. maybe you will be an inspiration to her!
    love and peace!
  • megg0889
    Options
    You are all so nice here @thepearlgirl- thank you so much about my mom. I am worried but it has encouraged me to change myself. I don't want to have excuses anymore, I just want to DO IT! I have started the American diabetic diet with 1800 calories. I am not diabetic but this is a great diet because it's low carbs and low sugar! I am actually staying around 1500 calories instead of 1800. I am relearning everything about my eating habits. I am also missing my carbs and sugar a little but I think of everything I am risking if I chose to eat that cookie and it's just not worth it lol.
  • bonitasprings
    bonitasprings Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had PCOS for years. They went away by themselves. I was told that could happen.

I love this app too and the community part is a huge help to me. Keep posting and good luck!

And prayers of a healthy turn around for your mom :)
  • Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Best wishes for your mom's speedy recovery. I just had to add that I disagree with you about wanting to feel beautiful for once. I know it's difficult to believe but you actually are beautiful now. Your profile pic is lovely. Good luck with your journey to a healthier you!
  • minadee
    minadee Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You and your Mom will certainly be in my prayers. I have a family history of diabetes as well and am here to try to break the cycle. Good luck to you!
  • PearlMarie_3gen_11484
    Options
    I have pcos as well. I've had it since I was thirteen. It's tough losing weight with it, but I've lost fifty three pounds so far. My husband and I want more children but this extra weight makes it challenging. Best of luck to you and feel free to add me if you like.