Need a little help

Options
I had a tumor in my stomach and had a Subtotal gastrotomy. I’m having a hard time eating at all. I know that I am not get the amount of protein I need. Anymore the taste of protein shakes makes me sick! Is there anything I can do? At this point I might be taking in 500 calories a day, and that’s a big might!

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    How long have you been unable to eat? I would definitely check in with the doctor if it's been going on for any length of time.

In the meantime, I'd focus first on just getting your calories up unless your doctor says otherwise. Protein is important, but it's also important to just get enough calories. Here is a good list of calorie dense foods. Hopefully you can stomach some of them! https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Can you eat bland foods like rice and oats?
  • LadyHarless
    LadyHarless Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    2 weeks, I can’t get in to see him until the 6 of September.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    2 weeks, I can’t get in to see him until the 6 of September.

Can your doctor's office refer you to an RD who knows how to work with your medical condition?
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited August 2019
    Options
    As a quick solution, I bump calories up on diet by adding olive oil. Could add a few tablespoons to a bowl of chicken, beef, or bone broth.

When we were doing an elimination diet for my daughter's crohns, she was on a bland diet. Adding 2 tbsp of each olive oil, coconut oil, and real butter. I would bump my daughter's white rice to over 700 calories for one bowl.

After a couple of weeks of broth and rice, we started adding very small bites of shredded chicken to it.

I would also add coconut oil and real butter to her oatmeal. Then slowly started adding almond milk to her oatmeal, then drinking full glasses.

I worried about calories first, then macros.

Hope you get better!
  • LadyHarless
    Options

No to rice and oats, I have tried and they come back up. Broth I can handle.

Thank you guys so much for your help. I have some new things to try.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options

No to rice and oats, I have tried and they come back up. Broth I can handle.

Thank you guys so much for your help. I have some new things to try.

I'd try adding oils to broth and keep it liquid then. Could try some other higher calorie beverages. Some fruit juices, Kefir, and almond (or other nut) milks can get high calorie, can add cane sugar or honey to try and up calories in beverages, also.

All of these suggestions are of course, if tolerated by your system!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    One other suggestion... There are groups here for folks who have had Weight Loss Surgeries. I know you had a tumor and the surgery wasn't elective but I'm sure many of them have experienced what you are going through and might have some ideas. I would check in with one of those groups.
  • LadyHarless
    Options
    Thank you, I never thought of that.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Liquid jello for a little easy protein.