Over eating book recommendations

Options
Does anyone have any good nutrition books they’d recommend? Lately I’ve felt like every day is a bad day nutrition wise and I over eat and obsess about food. I work from home and have two small kids so I as soon as we have a meal it’s like I obsess over when/what we can eat next. I love to work out but I know you can’t out train a bad diet and it’s definitely starting to show on the scale. I’ve lost weight with calorie counting before so I know I can do it but I need to get my eating under control.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I haven't read it but I've heard amazing things about Guyenet's "The Hungry Brain" .. it sounds like it would be a good fit for you

https://stephanguyenet.com/thehungrybrain/

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    iusedqu1nn wrote: »
    Does anyone have any good nutrition books they’d recommend? Lately I’ve felt like every day is a bad day nutrition wise and I over eat and obsess about food. I work from home and have two small kids so I as soon as we have a meal it’s like I obsess over when/what we can eat next. I love to work out but I know you can’t out train a bad diet and it’s definitely starting to show on the scale. I’ve lost weight with calorie counting before so I know I can do it but I need to get my eating under control.

Do you feel bad physically? Is your doctor concerned about blood test results?

If the answer is no to both of these then your nutrition is at least in the ballpark of fine. Anxiety over nutrition is not helpful. If you want to be healthier and you are carrying extra weight you start there and getting rid of it will make you healthier all by itself. A college professor proved that you can improve your health markers with weight loss even eating a diet of mostly Twinkies.

Well rounded nutrition, imo, means getting sufficient protein and eating a variety of food. My blood is tested every 4 months and the doctor is pleased with my results.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I can't recommend books on overeating but would suggest that perhaps reading some of the success stories might help inspire you in a certain direction.

You are worth this journey. Do it for yourself; do it for your kids. 💟

Good luck!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you looking for? Tips on the mental side? Emotional? Nutritional? Amount? The tips and tools needed to be successful can vary greatly depending on what exactly you're struggling with, and why.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Eating the proper number of calories and getting proper nutrition are separate things.

As @NovusDies said, if you have no symptoms and no diagnosed deficiencies, your nutrition probably is not an immediate problem. You should check with your doctor if you have symptoms or want to be tested for deficiencies.

Weight management is 100% about how many calories you eat and how many your body burns. It is a separate thing from nutrition. If you want to lose weight, then the first thing to do is to make sure you are consistently in a calorie deficit. You can do this by weighing and logging all your food. After you have a handle on that, then I would worry about macros/vitamins/minerals unless your doctor says otherwise.
  • forknitsandgiggles91
    Options
    When in doubt, keep it simple. Lots of vegetables with a small portion of meat or legumes/rice. Season differently to mix it up. I like to look up "healthy swaps" or "meals under 300 or 400 calories" on Pinterest.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    This book on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for overeating was available in my library system, so perhaps yours as well.

The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person

Can thinking and eating like a thin person be learned, similar to learning to drive or use a computer? Beck (Cognitive Therapy for Challenging Problems) contends so, based on decades of work with patients who have lost pounds and maintained weight through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Beck's six-week program adapts CBT, a therapeutic system developed by Beck's father, Aaron, in the 1960s, to specific challenges faced by yo-yo dieters, including negative thinking, bargaining, emotional eating, bingeing, and eating out. Beck counsels readers day-by-day, introducing new elements (creating advantage response cards, choosing a diet, enlisting a diet coach, making a weight-loss graph) progressively and offering tools to help readers stay focused (writing exercises, to-do lists, ways to counter negative thoughts). There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if readers learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach. (Apr.)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    The Food and Feelings Workbook: A Full Course Meal on Emotional Health https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FJ64BW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_iLzxDb2HGKNXF
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    There are also Overeaters Anonymous groups literally everywhere. You could check that out if you are into a group type setting.