Exercise-induced asthma & jogging?!

Options
I need some help/advice!

I was diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma as a kid, but I mostly chalked it up to "I'm overweight and that's why it hurts to run." Well, 20lbs later I realized that my lungs burn more than ever when I try to jog very far, and that it is, indeed, not my weight causing the problem. (Which SUCKS because my legs can go so much further than my lungs!) Up until now I was doing fast-paced walking - about a 4 on the treadmill - for about 40 minutes a few times a week, but I'm about to lose gym access so I'm figuring out how to do this 'jogging outside' thing. I really want to be able to jog but I can only get about a block before I have to walk again. :/

I don't have an inhaler, since I haven't tried to run since I got out of high school haha. (And the only time I ran there was when they made me!) I don't think I need one, as this literally ONLY happens when I try to jog. Is it a matter of just working my way up to being able to jog longer distances, or am I stuck with fast walking for the rest of my life?

Replies

• Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    You should have an inhaler just for when you want to jog, don't let it stop you, I have the same thing...
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Is it just extreme burning? Cuz my lungs burn like crazy when I jog! I feel like that's the only thing holding me back from running what normal people run. Anyway, it should get better the more you jog, although you might find a distance that you can't go much more than. When I started jogging I could barely run a block or a quarter mile and now I can run over a mile without stopping, outside. I did get up to 3k on a treadmill last winter but I started having leg/foot problems so I cut back a lot and now I just run 1.5 mi every day.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am 34 now...diagnosed with Exercise-induced asthma when I was 12. I no longer have an inhaler. You have to know your limits and work within your means. Try building up to jogging longer distances but if you find that you are having a hard time...slow down and pace yourself.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I have exercise-induced asthma and am training for a marathon in November. It was something I developed about 3 years ago and realized it (as a very fit individual) walking up outdoor flights of stairs during a cold winter day when I couldn't breathe. I've trained myself to not need my inhaler, and don't bring it on most runs unless the humidity is really bad.

Just start out running really slow, but I would recommend getting an inhaler first. If you really want to run, you're going to have to deal with the breathing being hard and break through the mental and physical barriers, but you can do it. I know a lot of endurance runners who do have asthma and most of them (like myself) have made it a non-issue most of the time. Anxiety will trigger a lot of it, so sometimes I have to talk myself down from having an attack. It's mind over matter once you get used to the difficulty breathing initially and learning how to breathe.

But go see a doctor, get an inhaler and steadily build yourself up to being a runner!
  • TNGirlyGirl
    TNGirlyGirl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm also asthmatic -- and only have problems when I run. After 20 years of never running, I started up this summer. I've been working on interval training for running, and do a combined walk/run about 5 times a week. I carry an inhaler "just in case" and really pay attention to my breathing -- it's not worth an attack to make it a bit faster or a bit farther.

For me, it has gotten a bit better -- I can now jog about 1/2 mile before I need to walk for 15-20 seconds, then I can run again. The faster I run, the shorter my runs can be, though, so I'm limiting myself to a jogging pace for now. (When I started, I couldn't make it more than a block). I'm slowly building my lung strength and stamina, but I realize I may never be able to run really fast or for long distances without taking a "breather" or using my inhaler.

Good luck!!
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    I had exercise induced asthma but my dr. gave me 2 inhalers (1 to use BEFORE exercise, and an emergency one if i have issues) ask your dr. about a preventative inhaler type of deal. I've outgrown mine i think but if you still have the problem it could be well worth your while!
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I, also, have exercise induced asthma. I just take a shot of the inhaler before I exercise and I'm usually just fine.
  • mum23boys
    Options
    I am 34 now...diagnosed with Exercise-induced asthma when I was 12. I no longer have an inhaler. You have to know your limits and work within your means. Try building up to jogging longer distances but if you find that you are having a hard time...slow down and pace yourself.

I totally can relate and agree with you! I too was diagnosed with Exercise-induced asthma as a young teenager. I used the inhaler while a teen, but when I got into running (at 30) I found that if I slowly increased my running, I didn't need to use it. I do have one for days when I really want to beat myself up on the treadmill or outdoors, but even still it does not happen often where I find myself reaching for it. As the weight has come off it's gotten easier on my body too. Good luck and remember to take it easy at first to get your body used to jogging!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    get an inhaler!! it's worth it.

I have asthma (both exercise AND allergy induced.

I take 2 puffs on my inhaler BEFORE going for a jog. this helps a ton, and I don't even have to worry about the asthma catching up to me. & it takes away the stress of "omg, when will I have to turn around," etc

good luck!!! an inhaler is worth it, don't be "proud" about it :)
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I've had asthma (allergy, exercise, hell even sleeping induced) I would go to a doctor and get evaluated. They will get you that inhaler if need be :)
  • Laurarunnergirl
    Laurarunnergirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    First off, go see your doctor and see what he/she says...

I also have asthma (both exercise and allergy induced too), and my doctor instructed me to take a couple of puffs of my inhaler before I run, instead of waiting until I have an attack during my run. I do just that, in addition to taking my inhaler with me on runs just in case. Haven't had an issue since, and I've also noticed over the years that my lungs have become more acclimated to running (or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part).

Laura
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    2 years ago I ran a 5K on Thanksgiving morning, and i hadn't run for 2 months before the race. I had an injury and got busy with work, but I had signed up for it with my friend and decided to just do it. I pushed myself a little more than I should've, and it was a little colder than I wanted it to be. I never fully recovered and my breathing was strained, but seemingly ok. I went down to my mother's house for thanksgiving and just couldn't get comfortable. I tried everything and then finally I couldn't take it anymore. We went to the Emergency room and sure enough I had an exercise induced asthma attack. Totally bummed, I figured running just wasn't a good idea for me - especially in the winter.

Anyway, I'm on singulair now (pill form) and I run daily - long distances too and I'm increasing my speed all the time (pushing myself to the limit) and my breathing hasn't once been an issue. Sure this time I eased into it and built up my fitness level to support that type of exercise - but it did get drastically better. Just take your time and don't jump into anything you're not ready for. Listen to your body. But I HIGHLY recommend Singulair, if you haven't tried it before. Good luck :)
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    I use the inhaler.
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have exercise-induced asthma and am training for a marathon in November. It was something I developed about 3 years ago and realized it (as a very fit individual) walking up outdoor flights of stairs during a cold winter day when I couldn't breathe. I've trained myself to not need my inhaler, and don't bring it on most runs unless the humidity is really bad.

Just start out running really slow, but I would recommend getting an inhaler first. If you really want to run, you're going to have to deal with the breathing being hard and break through the mental and physical barriers, but you can do it. I know a lot of endurance runners who do have asthma and most of them (like myself) have made it a non-issue most of the time. Anxiety will trigger a lot of it, so sometimes I have to talk myself down from having an attack. It's mind over matter once you get used to the difficulty breathing initially and learning how to breathe.

But go see a doctor, get an inhaler and steadily build yourself up to being a runner!

/\/\This is me too!..

I hate to run in general so I avoid it at all costs! But I was trying back in the spring and my asthma immediately kicked in (funny it doesn't bother me doing zumba). I didn't have a good inhaler I had an over the counter emergency inhaler so I avoided using it. Until I started to have my first EVER full on attack which having had asthma for more than 10 years was a complete shock! Luckily I had just made it home when it happened and my SO was with me and calmed me down.

I ended up talking to my doctor and she gave me a new good inhaler and when I get back out running again (which is in my long term plan) I won't do it in high humidity because that is a trigger for me unless I have to and then I'm going to bring my inhaler with me - just in case!
  • adhillman01
    Options
    I'm in pharmacy school and our asthma instructor said that for a majority of people, 2 puffs of albuterol before you exercise should prevent an attack. If this isn't working there are several other longer acting medications that can help prevent an attack (Singulair like another person mentioned, but taking a long acting beta agonist like Advair can also help). I highly suggest seeing a doctor, all people with asthma should have a rescue inhaler around just in case. If you're just experiencing some burning, that may not even be an asthma attack. I've never had as asthma attack, but I know when I first started running I had a lot of burning in my lungs. It just takes awhile to get your lungs trained. Don't expect to be able to just run miles at a time when you first start. It takes training. You should experiment with walk-run intervals at first and slowly increase the time you spend running. Everyone here recommends Couch to 5K. I didn't use that. I just started out running for 3 minutes and then walking for 3. Then I slowly upped the time that I was running. Now I am training for a half marathon and can run for over an hour without stopping. Good luck and check into C25K, it sounds like a solid program.