Advice for someone who runs/trains with her dogs?

Options
I always take my two dogs with me when I run in the early mornings. For one, it is great exercise for them, but it also makes me feel safer as I have to go through some pretty dark streets before I get to the college campus I run on. Their leashes are the retractable kind, so they can get a bit of a lead, and I'm used to them tangling me up a bit in the beginning (usually during my five minute walk/warm-up), but once I actually start running, they're usually great to stay by my sides, respectively.

My concern is I wonder how much their being with me affects my training? I'm super slow, so that's not a big deal, but the way I hold my arms and shoulders? And when I finally do my 5k in October (actually doing a one mile fun run first, then two 5ks, it's beginning to look like), what should I expect to be different without them? They are such amazing distractions from aches and pains and fatigue, because one minute we're going along smoothly and the next there's a squirrel and bang, they're off! So will it be an issue at all, or am I just worrying over nothing?

Replies

• NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I run with my dog all the time. I know it's not great for my form, but it IS great motivation. The faster I go, the faster he wants to go. I would go with the dogs, and worry about training separately.
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    When I used to run with my dog, I always felt fine. Than one day I went for a run without him and realized how much the dog actually pulls me along HIS run. So running without him made me push myself more because I wasn't used to having total control. If that make sense? lol
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Ok, first of all, they should not be getting a bit of a lead. YOU should be their leader, and by allowing them to go first you are communicating to them that they are in charge. That can lead to other problems. Also, if you train them to trot next to you, you will be able to hold the leash loosely, resulting in no change to your arms and shoulders.

I was taught in multiple puppy classes that when you walk or run your dog, YOU tell them when it's okay to stop and sniff, or go potty. They should not be halting suddenly to sniff or pee.

It really works, I speak from experience. I run with my young, wildly energetic Boxer several times a week. He trots on my left side, never pulling or going ahead of me. It's wonderful and so easy and peaceful.

Good luck! I heart dogs!!!

Edit: I see some people saying there is a difference when they run without their pooch. On the occasions I run without Cooper, it feels exactly the same.
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I have to leave my pups at home if I want a serious walk/run. I will walk them at their own pace, and then once they are done, I head out for my own. Otherwise, my shoulder will become dislocated because a doggy loves the smell of that flower ALL OF A SUDDEN!
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I usually try to walk my dogs separatly to running because my girl pulls so much and my boy lags behind. I have only recently started running with out them because I needed to see how I went and what the difference was. It makes a massive difference with out them. I ran harder and faster with out my dogs because it was just me. When I have them I need to find the middle ground between my girls who always needs to be in front and will run fast and my boy who lags behind
  • maryd523
    Options
    I have to leave my pups at home if I want a serious walk/run. I will walk them at their own pace, and then once they are done, I head out for my own. Otherwise, my shoulder will become dislocated because a doggy loves the smell of that flower ALL OF A SUDDEN!

Yep, that's exactly the problem. Your dog feels he is in charge during this walk. He'll do what he wants!
  • Stephanie08
    Options

Yep, that's exactly the problem. Your dog feels he is in charge during this walk. He'll do what he wants!

I respectfully disagree with you. My dogs know who's in charge, they come when called, they obey my command, they stop when told, they will move when I say "let's go", but I respect that each of my dogs have their own pace, and just sometimes need to be a dog.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Both dogs stay with me during most of the run, only pulling if my girl sees a cat or my boy sees a squirrel... yes, I admit they're not trained perfectly, but I'm finally getting them to sit and contain their excitement when I put their leashes on them, so one step at a time! That's training issues. Mostly I was wondering about training issues concerning ME. =) I'm not sure it is possible for them to be slowing me down much at this point, but I will definitely want to do a couple of runs without them, it sounds like, so that I'm better prepared for the races. I'd really rather just take them with me! =)
  • maryd523
    Options

I respectfully disagree with you. My dogs know who's in charge, they come when called, they obey my command, they stop when told, they will move when I say "let's go", but I respect that each of my dogs have their own pace, and just sometimes need to be a dog.

That's fine. You were the one who said you couldn't take your dog running because your shoulder would become dislocated. I don't have that problem. :)

Edit: I agree dogs need time to be dogs. That's why I take him to dog parks, or to play with friends, or swimming. When we are walking or running, I am in charge and he isn't. That means he doens't get to stop and sniff when he feels like it.
  • CountryGrrrrl
    Options
    Hmmm..... my 7 yr old black lab is more of a drunken sailor when I take me with, so she is not allowed anymore....too much time spent tripping and untangling, and I like to MOVE!! I would just say the best thing someone told me.... "whatever your arms do, your legs do, too". If your arms can still swing back and forth (not side to side), then it is not affecting your running pace. If they are side to side, or up and down, or all over the place while you hold the leash, then.... well.... as much as you love them, ditch them for your serious run.
  • maryd523
    Options
    Both dogs stay with me during most of the run, only pulling if my girl sees a cat or my boy sees a squirrel... yes, I admit they're not trained perfectly, but I'm finally getting them to sit and contain their excitement when I put their leashes on them, so one step at a time! That's training issues. Mostly I was wondering about training issues concerning ME. =) I'm not sure it is possible for them to be slowing me down much at this point, but I will definitely want to do a couple of runs without them, it sounds like, so that I'm better prepared for the races. I'd really rather just take them with me! =)

Yes, of course you want to take them with you! It's a shame to go running without your dogs who would a) LOVE to come and b) benefit from the exercise. My point is that if you train them to run WITH you, there won't be any difference when you have to leave them behind to run your race.
  • Stephanie08
    Options

If you really want to train YOU, then go only with you. Unless you can take your dogs with you during the run, then just practice at your own pace.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but when I take my three year old black lab on runs with me, I wear a belt, and loop the handle portion of her leash through the belt, then wear it around my waist. It keeps my hands/arms free in order to not strain them, let's her have a little slack, and works fantastic! She is great about keeping pace beside me; I think allowing her a little freedom in the sense that I'm not "holding" the leash per se works very well with her. I realize this won't work for every type of dog, but wanted to add it to the suggestion pot. Cheers :)