I have bad runner's knees.

Options
mama1888
mama1888 Posts: 6 Member
I love going on walks n hikes. But it hurts so bad to step up n down.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool or a bicycle?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a doctor for the purpose of getting a diagnosis and potential treatment options (ie physical therapy exercises).
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I was always told to ice and elevate. Never helped.

I had a doctor suggest heat and elevate... It worked!

Of course it comes back in time, but when it does, I heat and elevate for a couple of days off and on, try to stay off of it. Sometimes, I wear a knee brace when I do have to walk around or put weight on it.... Pain and swelling goes away for a long time. Sometimes months to years.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Ice and Elevation are part of P.R.I.C.E first aid treatment and it's only really designed to help with the symptoms of the injury (reducing/preventing swelling and reducing/managing pain) and to prevent further injury. It's not really designed to treat the actual injury itself.

Protection - Stop additional injury (eg. immobilise in a sling)
    Rest - don't use the injured body part. Give it time to heal
    Ice - to reduce swelling and control pain
    Compression - give additional support and helps limit swelling
    Elevation - keeping the injury above the level of the heart can help to limit swelling.

No doubt icing may assist with reducing any pain and discomfort and help deal with any swelling that may occur but it's not going to fix any underlying issues.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Runners knee can be an ongoing condition. Symptoms can get better, but seems like I'm prone to it once I've had it (cartilage problems in knee, kind of like my shin splints... Pain always returns eventually). I was offered knee surgery and turned it down.

My suggestion (HEAT and elevation) isn't a cure, my suggestion is a "treat the symptoms." I was at a pain center complaining about my knee, when a doctor suggested the heat instead of ice. Ice has never helped my knee at all.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    My knees are rubbish since I fell ice skating with my daughter so I alternate my exercises to take the pressure off def no jumping Jack's for me in fact no jumping at all.
  • RunFastLiveLong
    RunFastLiveLong Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This is pretty common. Depending on HOW bad it is, I found that core exercises are super helpful. Slow recovery and building strength. Often it is lack of core strength rather than issue with knees.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Have you gotten a diagnosis of the exact problem? "Runner's knee" is not one condition; it is a catchall term for a variety of knee issues. Ideally, you would see an orthopedist, and possibly get a referral to a physical therapist depending on the diagnosis.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 505 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I agree with seeing a doctor or orthopedist. Knowing what is wrong with your knee and so then you can deal with either healing or dealing with your problem.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider is getting fitted for proper shoes.

When I started on a running program years ago I'd come home with horrible shin splints and end up with a bag of frozen peas on my left leg and frozen corn on my right. Someone recommended that I go and get my gait assessed and get proper shoes and that fixed the problem right up.

Not sure if it's applicable for knee problems but I imagine it couldn't hurt. getting shoes might help align your lower body better and put less stress on your knees.
  • Beenbizzy2
    Beenbizzy2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Rest, rest, rest. I think with most knee issues it's overuse and vertical pressure. Take some time away from walking (1 week) to see if it improves. You can still do a helpful exercise by sitting on seat and extending one leg at a time till straight, hold for 10 seconds. Repeat 10 times and do 3 sets with rest in between. If things don't improve you may need medical intervention.
  • shewhoismany
    shewhoismany Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I found a great improvement in my knees when I changed my running shoes. Going from a cheap pair of department store sneakers to a professionally assessed and fitted running shoe made a huge difference.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I had that issue too, even gave up running for a few years and turned to cycling instead but recently have taken it up again, just a few days a week and having no issues.

Also it could well be your shoes.

Have you tried Rocktape - Kinesology tape - I've heard its terrific for supporting the knees.