? About logging exercise

Options
My Garmin counts my steps when I exercise (elliptical). I can’t tell if I’m double counting calorie burn when I then input that I have exercised. Anyone?

Replies

• fit19gramma
    fit19gramma Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just posted a similar question. I am a treadmill walker. I’ve been deleting the calories I get for steps and manually adding calories burned from my Fitbit app. No idea if this is what you should do.
  • MikeRobi81
    MikeRobi81 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If your fitbit is sync to MFP then your steps from them will automatically be added. Remember that calories burned from machines aren't always accurate. I don't sync any types of workouts, cardio or steps with MFP, its just extra calorie burnt.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    26pt7769 wrote: »
    My Garmin counts my steps when I exercise (elliptical). I can’t tell if I’m double counting calorie burn when I then input that I have exercised. Anyone?

Maybe yes, maybe no.

You haven't said if you are syncing your Garmin or just using it to get estimates which you add manually.
    Is this Garmin an all day tracker or a HRM purely for exercise use?

(Neither my cycling Garmin or my step counter are synced so I update my exercise manually and the steps are just for my information and not calorie estimates.)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I just posted a similar question. I am a treadmill walker. I’ve been deleting the calories I get for steps and manually adding calories burned from my Fitbit app. No idea if this is what you should do.

No.

You are logging what was already contained in that adjustment - and possibly losing or gaining calories that your daily activity should account for.

Those aren't calories for steps.
    They are the difference between Fitbit total daily burned less what Fitbit estimated you'd burn at your selected activity level with no exercise.

You could have no workout and big adjustment from being much more active.
    You could have hard workout and no adjustment from it wiping you out and being way less active.
    Or likely a combo.

But either way - leave the adjustment alone and don't log the workout.

Just make a wall post about your walk if you just must let your friend's list see your workout.