Looking for motivation from people who lost the weight after being overweight since childhood!

Options
I get a lot of my instructors to encourage me, I have friends at the gym. However, most of these people grew up thin, and then gained in college or while raising families. I have never been thin or fit or an average weight. I’m not obese. I just feel that people who were fit at one time have an advantage with losing. My fat cells only know fat. There is no memory of a smaller size. I would like to hear from people who were big, and are now smaller that did it with diet and exercise. I love all stories of motivation, but it’s hard to relate to people who at least at one point were smaller. I was never small, fit, in shape ever. I ve failed multiple times. I’m apple shaped so that’s another disaster. I eat a paleo diet, I’ve lost slow and steady- but need to tone and figure out the best way to do this from a person who has done it-
Thanks!

Replies

• RaulSkv
    RaulSkv Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It took time for me to work on my health but once I got going I ran! Haha. My highest when I graduated in 2012 was 285. Now I am finally at 200. Throught that time I did fluctuate alot it wasn’t until almost 2 years ago I realized my health really matters the most. I am on a plant-based diet and working out.
    What I remind myself with when I don’t want to go to the gym is be the person your younger self always dreamed of being. Happy with how I perceived myself. Hope my small story helps :)
  • jzancola
    jzancola Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Like many of you I too have been over weight since I was young. When I reached my 20’s I decided to make a change and succeeded long enough to attract a mate.....lol . Once I was married I was not active at all and it didn’t take long to become heavy again. I have been married 41 years now and I have been yoyoing for decades with some sort of success but lately there has been no motivation until yesterday. Being only day 2 I am sceptical of the journey but if I make it to day 7 it will get easier.
    I’ll keep you posted.
  • mariececilia10
    mariececilia10 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It can be liberating to know that fat cells have no knowledge or memory, so your thin friends do not actually have this advantage over you! What they do have are lifelong habits of eating a certain number of calories that allows them to maintain a lower weight. You can do exactly this. It will be harder for you only because your lifelong habits have you maintaining a weight that is higher than you desire. But you are 100% in control of your habits. Stick to a reasonable calorie deficit and eat foods you like. A food scale is priceless when it comes to weight loss. Stay on the boards and read as much as you can. There is so much invaluable advice from really knowledgeable and experienced people who are graciously willing to help others out.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    My first diet was at age 12. Throughout school and adulthood I was always overweight. I finally lost it at age 61. I have been maintaining for 2 years. It can be done. My total weight loss from high weight (pre MFP) was 108 pounds. I only mention the amount I lost to illustrate that I was not just 10 pounds overweight or something like that. I lost the weight through diet and exercise alone. I was sedentary before losing. If I can lose it in my senior years anyone can.
  • Mythrain1
    Mythrain1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It can be liberating to know that fat cells have no knowledge or memory, so your thin friends do not actually have this advantage over you! What they do have are lifelong habits of eating a certain number of calories that allows them to maintain a lower weight. You can do exactly this. It will be harder for you only because your lifelong habits have you maintaining a weight that is higher than you desire. But you are 100% in control of your habits. Stick to a reasonable calorie deficit and eat foods you like. A food scale is priceless when it comes to weight loss. Stay on the boards and read as much as you can. There is so much invaluable advice from really knowledgeable and experienced people who are graciously willing to help others out.
    i was always taught fat cells have memory.
    Also, many people do not have lifelong habits of good eating. Majority of people I know ate constantly through life- not gaining much weight. They also didn’t exercise much. I eat well. I do a paleo based diet with no sugar or white flour. I’ve always been a healthy eater- and I don’t overeat. It’s just harder for me to lose. I wS looking for advice from people who struggle like me- not to be told I have bad eating habits. It is absolutely impossible for a “once thin, gained some weight, trying to lose it” type person to understand my story.

• sexynurse801ms
    sexynurse801ms Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's not that far cells have memory, rather it that you have a certain number of fat cells that remain even if you lose weight. They just shrink during weight loss. Unless you have them removed with liposuction.
  • donnadee1984
    donnadee1984 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    RaulSkv wrote: »
    It took time for me to work on my health but once I got going I ran! Haha. My highest when I graduated in 2012 was 285. Now I am finally at 200. Throught that time I did fluctuate alot it wasn’t until almost 2 years ago I realized my health really matters the most. I am on a plant-based diet and working out.
    What I remind myself with when I don’t want to go to the gym is be the person your younger self always dreamed of being. Happy with how I perceived myself. Hope my small story helps :)

How did youre skin cope? X
  • QuinntessentiallyMe
    QuinntessentiallyMe Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Was morbidly obese since I was 4 years old. Type 2 Diabetic at 27, had to walk with a cane in my 30s. Turned it around 2 years ago, and with common sense diet and exercise. Dropped 115 lbs and 16 sizes. No longer Diabetic, healthiest and fittest I have ever been, and smaller than I was in 4th grade. Anyone is welcome to look at my profile, see my pictures contained there, and friend me if they wish. :-)
  • JasonRVA
    JasonRVA Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I too was overweight most of my life, over 200 in the 8th grade, oh so many years ago. I've posted part of this elsewhere on my 50th birthday, and I'll share it here again.

I started my weight loss journey almost 8 years ago when I was over 350 lbs (my scale just said ERR). There have been many ups and downs along the way, as there will always be, that's the way life works.

My first real full set of blood tests 5 years ago was a real shock (I had already lost 50 lbs). My average estimated glucose was 315, and my HbA1c was 12.6. Most of my other tests were in the red as well. 2 week ago my updated tests show my average glucose at 137 (under 116 is optimal), and my HbA1c is now 6.4 (under 5.7 is optimal), and I've lost about 125 lbs to date. I still have work to do, and will always have to be vigilant, but I feel so much better. I've also been able to quit one of the two diabetes medicines I was on, working on the other.

My ultimate goal is curing my diabetes, no more meds, and 199 lbs. The scales mean much less now as I build muscle, but hitting that middle school weight would be amazing!

Just remember, 20, 30, or 40 years of abusing your body won't get cured overnight, but persistence and hard work WILL pay off, don't give up, get back up every single time you get knocked on your butt and fight back!

• Mythrain1
    Mythrain1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I was an overweight child, an obese teenager, and a morbidly obese adult.

I am currently a normal weight and athletic woman who is training for a 40-mile hike in Scotland.

It turns out that all the things I used to say about physical differences making me inclined to gain weight, or making it easier for others to lose it, were a bunch of rubbish. The problem was that I ate way more than I realised, and consistently more than all those other people. It really was all calories in vs calories out.

In my case, that's because I get food cravings when I'm bored and I am psychologically inclined towards binge eating. Those are issues I'm still struggling with. But at least now I know what the root cause of my weight gain tendencies actually are. The crud of excuses I used to layer on top just got in the way.
    I have my diet under control. It was my first step- eliminating sugar and white carbs. In fact, it was the only thing that really ever took weight off. I can always get more strict with my diet but it’s pretty good. My middle is less bloated but ultimately is still overly large compared to my legs. For example, I would probably wear a size 10 jeans if I was proportionate. Because I’m so big up top, I need to wear a 14 so it buttons- then I have saggy butt pants and look a mess. Leggings look nice on me- but because I have to pull them to cover belly- I’m just left with an unattractive camel toe.

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Mythrain1 wrote: »

I am currently a normal weight and athletic woman who is training for a 40-mile hike in Scotland.

It turns out that all the things I used to say about physical differences making me inclined to gain weight, or making it easier for others to lose it, were a bunch of rubbish. The problem was that I ate way more than I realised, and consistently more than all those other people. It really was all calories in vs calories out.

In my case, that's because I get food cravings when I'm bored and I am psychologically inclined towards binge eating. Those are issues I'm still struggling with. But at least now I know what the root cause of my weight gain tendencies actually are. The crud of excuses I used to layer on top just got in the way.
    I have my diet under control. It was my first step- eliminating sugar and white carbs. In fact, it was the only thing that really ever took weight off. I can always get more strict with my diet but it’s pretty good. My middle is less bloated but ultimately is still overly large compared to my legs. For example, I would probably wear a size 10 jeans if I was proportionate. Because I’m so big up top, I need to wear a 14 so it buttons- then I have saggy butt pants and look a mess. Leggings look nice on me- but because I have to pull them to cover belly- I’m just left with an unattractive camel toe.

I was built alot like you before I lost weight. Apple shape they call it, lol. I'm not perfect now but certainly alot better. My stomach was the last place I lost. Don't know why but it just seems like that's the way it is for some of us. Take hope that it will happen and be patient. I lost in my face, then my breasts, then my arms and legs, then my behind then my stomach... But it DID finally happen.
  • mariececilia10
    mariececilia10 Posts: 77 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    i was always taught fat cells have memory.
    Also, many people do not have lifelong habits of good eating. Majority of people I know ate constantly through life- not gaining much weight. They also didn’t exercise much. I eat well. I do a paleo based diet with no sugar or white flour. I’ve always been a healthy eater- and I don’t overeat. It’s just harder for me to lose. I wS looking for advice from people who struggle like me- not to be told I have bad eating habits. It is absolutely impossible for a “once thin, gained some weight, trying to lose it” type person to understand my story.

Eating healthy and eating at a deficit are not the same thing. If you weigh more than you’d like, you need to eat less. And as for you assuming I’m a “once thin, gained some weight, trying to lose it” type person who doesn’t “understand,” I’m actually a 26 year old woman and was either overweight or obese from literally the day I was born when I weighed 10 lbs, and reached my highest weight of 205 lbs twice. I’ve been maintaining a BMI of 21 for almost 2 years and I eat Cheetos, ice cream, and drink diet soda daily. I have a terrible diet and I know this, it’s something I’m working on, having battled a range of eating disorders, including anorexia and on the flip side of that binge eating. So when my “type” of person takes time to write out a thoughtful and encouraging message to help YOUR “type” of person, who is struggling with something I’ve also struggled with for my entire life, wanting to help you, maybe spend less energy making assumptions and more energy taking the advice from these boards and stop making excuses as to why you can’t lose weight.

ETA: I’ve had all the PCOS reasons to not lose weight as well since being diagnosed at 14.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options

Eliminating sugar and ‘white carbs’ only affects weight loss if it results in an overall reduced calorie intake. Carbs aren’t some kind of magic fattening stick. That was one of my excuses as to why weight loss was difficult for me, too; and I was kidding myself.

I feel you on awkward shape, though my problem is the opposite; I have huge thighs/hips and a small, high waist. I literally cannot find trousers that don’t squash my thighs, bag around my waist, or give me a horrible two-tummy bulge.