Regained most of the weight :(

Hey guys

So during the years 2016-2017 I lost 47lbs to be exact, over a course of around 8 months. I went from very overweight to healthy and I was feeling great. However I guess I was so comfortable with my weight that I fell off MFP and stopped logging. As a result I’ve gained around 32 pounds back over 2 years which is so depressing :( it really has taken a toll on my mental health even though I know I’m in control of it all??? But I’ve been trying to get back into it all for months now, logging and exercising but I’m finding the same workouts SO much harder, I can’t keep with it for as long as I used to (Hiit running be walking for an hour) I find it difficult so I lose motivation. As for diet I try to maintain my deficit but lose motivation after like 3 days, I never used to be like this! I keep on losing the same 4 pounds ish since I’m struggling with motivation - but any tips on how I get back on it and how to stick with it and not lose all motivation because I’m finding exercising way harder than before and sticking to a deficit :/

Replies

• Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Motivation is great but self-discipline is what gets you results long term. Once you have yourself under consistent control even when you aren’t motivated is when you’ll seeking lasting change. Best of luck on your journey
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,232 Member
    Would backing off and starting with smaller goals help? E.g., instead of trying to resume your old exercise schedule, devise a "starter" routine and then build it up as you feel stronger and more fit. Ditto with your food intake. Build some successes and then adjust.

I would also suggest joining an ongoing group for continued support and accountability. One I find really helpful is The Ultimate Accountability group (search in Challenges). It focuses on process (meeting your personal calorie budget, exercise of just 20 min per day, logging daily), not pounds lost. It is very supportive with both new and long-term members.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,420 Member
    I’m on my second time around losing weight with MFP. I lost 39 lbs in 2013-14, then regained it all - I thought I had it “figured out” and stopped logging too. Last year, I decided to try again bc I was so sick of still being obese. One thing that helps me, and I know it doesn’t help everyone, is that I do daily weighing on the scale. I stopped daily weigh ins, and it seemed like, poof, here’s another 5 lbs gained when I would step on the scale. I’ve also accepted the fact that I will have to do some type of logging, either with MFP or something else, for the rest of my life. I have a very disordered view of food (BED) and now I understand I will probably be in therapy for the rest of my life, too. Best of luck to you
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    The calorie deficit is of course what you need to lose weight, but I suggest you try some alternative ways of getting physical activity. A boring workout is just a horrible slog and it is highly unlikely you are giving it your best work, so it's probably not as productive as it could be. If you are a gym member maybe try some new classes. Maybe consider hiring a PT for a few sessions. Check out local park runs. See if anyone runs a dance session you could join. Try rock climbing. Ice skating. The list is endless and it helps so much if you can find something you enjoy. For me it was boxing (which was totally unexpected).
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I am guessing that if you are finding your workouts difficult now it has to do with the fact that you haven't been exercising and you have gained some weight. So if my assumptions are correct I have two comments. One is that you need to go back to a starting program and work your way up again the other is an observation that at the higher weight you are at right now you are going to burn more calories than you did at the lower weight. I noticed this myself when I started walking daily. In the beginning at 235 pounds I got alot of calories for a 30 minute walk. Now at 145 I walk about 2 hours for the same burn. So on the up side you can relax and work a bit less until your stamina builds and you will still get a great calorie burn. Everyone else touched on all the things I would say. Take your time and try not to look back. You are not alone but instead of thinking that you failed think of what you have learned and take comfort in the knowledge that you already proved you can do it. Sending you a big virtual hug. <3
  • corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    Besides seconding what has already been said, maybe looking at it in a different way. Meaning, of course you want to lose all you regain but focus on making healthy habits for life, put less focus on losing x amount of pounds in x amount of time. If you do the right things long enough, you'll get where you want to be. I feel you, I got to my goal weight when I was in college and thought I was done with dieting and exercising and put back on the lbs and a whole bunch more. So basically what I'm trying to say is keep your nose to the ground, put in the work and be patient. You did it once, so you know you can do it again.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I had also regained a significant amount of weight after a successful attempt at significant weight loss. It took me a long time to start losing again, and a big part of that was that I had to learn what actually worked well for me long-term, and what things were actually hindering my long-term success. I was spending too much energy "pushing through" to try and get the weight off rather than establishing habits that might make weight loss slower, but were more up my alley, habit-wise. I reworked things so I didn't have to think about them and instead just did them out of the comfort of habit.

I have a post up talking a little about what I've learned. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10759145/for-those-who-have-lost-and-gained-and-are-losing-again-what-ive-learned/p1
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    I feel your pain. We’re here for you!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Instead of diving straight back in to what you perceive worked last time, be patient and work your way back in there. Pick one habit and go at that for a couple of weeks, then add another. Like maybe for the next few weeks, the only thing you'll do is make sure to eat fruit or veg with every meal and get your five a day. Once that's become more usual, start looking at other things, like has your soda or alcohol consumption crept? Then address that. Then start to plan meals in advance with an eye to balance and variety within a generally idea of healthy. You know what your log is going to say and you know how you ate last time, but you didn't stick to it after, so maybe using some slow months to ease in and find sustainable general changes here and there, you'll be able to come to a place of longevity with it rather than it being a project that has an end date.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    That was my history for years and it wasn't until I decided to stop dieting that I was able to lose the weight & keep it off. Still track my food every day and exercise every day. You can do this. Take it slow and get back to what worked for you.
  • lrsirius
    lrsirius Posts: 328 Member
    I find it helpful to “outsource” my motivation, by that I mean I read, watch, and listen to health, nutrition, and exercise info, and weight and fitness transformation stories (especially helpful while on the elliptical), as much as possible. When I keep the idea of being a healthier version of myself front and center I am less likely to give up. Yesterday I listened to a TED talk (Sandra Aamodt), a neuroscientist that mentioned studies confirming your experience of regaining and finding it more difficult a 2nd time (or more) around is reality for most of us; the brain drives our body weight “set points” which alter every time we gain weight (but not when we lose it). It was an interesting talk and made 15 minutes on the elliptical fly by.

It may be beneficial to find or reaffirm your “why” and make it a mantra and repeat it to yourself a few times before you decide to shorten your walk or not log your lunch. Thanks for sharing and the best of health to you.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    lrsirius wrote: »
    I find it helpful to “outsource” my motivation, by that I mean I read, watch, and listen to health, nutrition, and exercise info, and weight and fitness transformation stories (especially helpful while on the elliptical), as much as possible. When I keep the idea of being a healthier version of myself front and center I am less likely to give up. Yesterday I listened to a TED talk (Sandra Aamodt), a neuroscientist that mentioned studies confirming your experience of regaining and finding it more difficult a 2nd time (or more) around is reality for most of us; the brain drives our body weight “set points” which alter every time we gain weight (but not when we lose it). It was an interesting talk and made 15 minutes on the elliptical fly by.

It may be beneficial to find or reaffirm your “why” and make it a mantra and repeat it to yourself a few times before you decide to shorten your walk or not log your lunch. Thanks for sharing and the best of health to you.

I love to involve myself in the community to keep myself in the right mindset too. I love ObesetoBeast and JordanShrinks on youtube, they're a great source of helping me relate to people who have had similar struggles as me but are successful long term.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    I find creating habits and the discipline to stick to them far more useful than motivation.

I'm sure not motivated to work out now. Yet, it's lunchtime, and I created a habit to workout at lunchtime, so I'm going to exert some discipline, push away from the computer, and go smash some weights.

I know I will feel much better once I get going.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Agree that motivation can be hard to come by, even when you have a darn good reason to do the things you need to do.

Commitment, however, will make you do it, regardless. Just like going to work (how often do we actually want to go to work?!?), despite not wanting to, we get up and do it anyways because we have to. It may make your workouts or tracking feel like a job sometimes, but on the other hand, you'll get them done.

Find some reason, besides just weight loss, to provide some motivation. Perhaps signing up for a 5K or Tough Mudder, or whatever else might be something you could/would do that would benefit from you getting up and putting in the work. For me, it's my racing goals for next year. Doesn't make the day to day any more fun, can't say I always feel "motivated" but I get up and do it anyways because I know that in order to reach those goals, I HAVE to put in the work now.

"Embrace the suck" sometimes is my only motivation LOL - it's going to suck, it's not going to be fun, but I'm going to do it anyways. Not the most motivating speech out there, but it works for me lol!
  • lrsirius
    lrsirius Posts: 328 Member
    edited August 2019
    On another MFP thread I came across an interesting site that had this to say about motivation-

“... I get gazillions of emails and questions from people asking me for the solution to their lack of motivation – well, f*** you. There is no solution.

Did I hurt your feelings? Well, f*** your feelings.

Here’s what nobody tells you about motivation: the more you look for motivation, the less motivated you become – because you don’t do anything.

Action begets motivation.

And unless you – yes, you – don’t start taking the steps toward making a positive change, no other person or thing can help. If this isn’t what you want to hear, then feel free to close this page and go back to living in denial. For those of you who are ready to accept this and want to make a change, let’s get started.”
    http://physiqonomics.com/fat-loss/

Harsher than it needs to be but “Action begets motivation” is a great point.