Day after eating 1000 calories more :(

Options
So my goal is to eat 1250 but I ended up eating 2300 yesterday. Dinner was 1100 since I went to my friend's house for the get-together. I do feel bad but not sure if I should eat less the next day to compromise the overeating or just eat normally. Eating these many extra calories will affect my weekly average too :(. Please let me know how you guys manage this situation.

Replies

• frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. Today is a new day with a whole new calorie goal. Don't let one day sabotage your whole new eating regimen. You don't always have control of what is served. Do your best and then get back on track the next meal or the next day.

I have eaten way over my calories before. Then for the next couple of days, I tend to stay under my calories and drink lots of water. This usually wipes out the excess and I am back on track.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    If I have extra calories in any given meal, I just get back on track with the next meal. I have anxiety and depression and if I were to stress about one meal, it wouldn't be pretty. 😒
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    To be honest it depends on how I feel. Often if I have big calorie day I'm not that hungry in the days following. If that's the case I'll cut back. Use this experience to learn. Maybe think about how to handle it better next time or just chalk it up to a once in a while thing. When I was actively losing I used to have a "maintenance day" every three weeks or so. I did that because someone wanted to eat out or something like that and I didn't want my diet to run my life. However I made sure it only happened occasionally. I made it to goal and have maintained so it doesn't "ruin" everything. Life happens. Don't beat yourself up just try to limit these kinds of things so that overall you are in a deficit. If you really think about it you probably weren't that far off maintenance for the day so all you really did was slow your progress by a day. Hang in there, it gets easier.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    So my goal is to eat 1250 but I ended up eating 2300 yesterday. Dinner was 1100 since I went to my friend's house for the get-together. I do feel bad but not sure if I should eat less the next day to compromise the overeating or just eat normally. Eating these many extra calories will affect my weekly average too :(. Please let me know how you guys manage this situation.

If you are still new to this weight loss effort I suggest you completely ignore yesterday and proceed normally. I have accepted that my life has not stopped because I am losing weight and that means I will have some days over my calorie goal. The secret is to keep those days relatively few and when they do happen... enjoy them. You don't have to lose weight everyday just most days. In my first year of weight loss I was eating above my calorie goal for about 6 weeks of mostly nonconsecutive days. I still lost a lot of weight because for close to 90 percent of the time I was in a calorie deficit.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I just continue forward, not letting one day become two days, or a week, month or year. It happens to many of us. No longer will I allow it to become my way of life.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    One day of overeating has no bearing on your long term weight loss unless you let it become multiple days of overeating. Learn from the experience, log it, move on.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Best thing is to just crack on. Yesterday I was over by a lot because of a family birthday. Last Saturday I ended up drinking with friends. Despite that, I have still lost half a lb so I wouldn't worry. If you stick at this a long time then you can get away with having a splurge here and there :smile: