65 female workout routine

Options
I have been working out since Jan. Wondering what else I can add as I find switching it up helps from keeping it boring. I usually start out on gym day with stretches, then do the treadmill using the Aaptiv keep up the pace alternating run walk series, then do strength training for about a hour and a half. One day legs, next arms and abs plus I have added the medicine ball to help with my poor balance. I try to do about 15 to 30 minute Tia Chai everyday and at least twice a week do a 10 to 20 mile bike ride. I tried yoga and it almost did in these poor joints and I don't have a pool at the gym so water aerobics are out. I have lost almost 100 pounds. I will be retiring soon so will have time to add something. Course walking the dogs every day is a given. So, given my age what would be something else fun to add?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Given your age, anything you think is fun would be good to add. If you have osteoporosis/osteopenia, you might want to use caution about things that could involve falls on hard surfaces, or ultra-high impact. It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that age per se is a limitation: It isnt. Disability (of whatever type, minor to major) can be a limitation for some activities, and certain disabilities are more common (or higher risk) with age, but IMO way too many people fall prey to low expectations (of themselves or others) purely on the basis of age. (I'm 63, BTW.)

Sounds like you're doing great.

Personally, I like on-water rowing best, but that's not an option for everyone. (I started in my mid-40s, but know several people who started in their 60s or beyond.) Canoeing and kayaking may be more accessible, either renting or borrowing boats from friends. (There are classes in both, in/around most cities, or camps.)

Some other options might be fitness classes (some of my friends love Zumba, but there are lots of different options), games (pickleball, ping-pong, bowling, golf, whatever). Dance of various kinds is available (anything from line dancing or clogging, which can be done solo; to more formal things like tap or even ballet; to partner dances like square dancing, swing or ballroom if you have a partner). Some martial arts (besides Tai Chi) could be manageable, depending on your personal fitness or robustness level. Weapons arts (staff, sword, etc.) can be fun.

I've been thinking about exploring pole fitness or aerials of some kind, if I find a suitable intro; or paddleboarding (the only human-powered boating-like thing I know of that I haven't tried yet - though I did try paddleboard yoga a few weeks ago ;) ).

One thing that seems to have helped my balance (bizarrely) was making it a point, when waiting in line at the grocery or wherever, to stand on one leg, just picking up the other one subtly off the floor, like maybe 1/2 inch (optional to be dramatic about it ;) ). As that got easier, I would start moving the "up" foot around, in cases where it wouldn't look unacceptably eccentric. There are also balance boards, BOSU, or that sort of thing.

Personally, I think yoga and stretching are beneficial, but it sounds like you may've gotten into a form of yoga that was a little too intense for where you are now. It should not be that extreme.

Don't forget about relatively physical activities that are not usually thought of as "exercise", like gardening, carpentry, home projects, playing certain musical instruments, etc.

It sounds like you've taken on a bunch of new and very useful stuff already . . . so be adventurous, and have fun!

:flowerforyou:
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I love kayaking but there aren't many places around here to go. I was thinking about trying that balance ball at the gym at the risk of falling and making a complete fool of myself, next time I got with my friend I will try it. Yoga was fun until I felt my knee explode and it took a couple of weeks before I could get that under control. I tried the easiest for seniors class but by week 2 my shoulders and knee where shot so my first motto is first of all do no harm, and it was harming me. I think weapons arts sounds fun. Thanks for the suggestions. I want my exercise to be something I look forward too.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I can vote for pole dancing, it's an amazing all over workout
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Dance? there's so many styles to choose from. It's as gentle or energetic as you want.
    You sound really adventurous, like you'd be up for something a bit different and exotic. Belly dancing, or burlesque, or flamenco...

• megamom
    Options
    Dance? there's so many styles to choose from. It's as gentle or energetic as you want.
    You sound really adventurous, like you'd be up for something a bit different and exotic. Belly dancing, or burlesque, or flamenco...

Well, I still have the belly for it, LOL.
  • megamom
    Options
    ef0od9iigdk2.jpg