Sweet tooth

Options
I have a terrible sweet tooth. I have a hard time staying on my diet because of it. Looking for healthy options/recipes/ideas to satisfy my sweet tooth. Ty

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    What is your sweet tooth for exactly?

You should be able to fit your sweet treats into your daily calorie allotment.

Or, you can choose the route I took, which was to give up the sweets entirely. Within two weeks, I no longer wanted them. I'm super happy I made this choice. I'd rather eat foods I consider healthier than to have pure sugar.

It's a personal choice.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Does fruit satisfy it? Some find that they crave sweet stuff less if they have more fruit in their diet. Some find they crave very specific sweet treats, so finding a way to include those in moderation and within cals can help. Structure can help, like "I can have whatever dessert I want, so long as it's after dinner, within my cals, and the only dessert item I have today."
  • aliatorres1994
    aliatorres1994 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cakes, pies things like that. Not candy so much. I don't want to give up on it completely but i know there are healthy options out there. Ty
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    A fruit that is surprisingly sweet is cantelope. They remind me of creamsicles. 😊
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,726 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I have a Garden of Life weight loss bar, sugar free hot cocoa made from cacao or coco powder. Old fashioned oats with cocoa powder or french vanilla protein powder. Watermelon

Bhu bars have great options too

Using curry and cinnamon help my sweet tooth a lot too
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Nectarines!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Cakes, pies things like that. Not candy so much. I don't want to give up on it completely but i know there are healthy options out there. Ty

Look up Keto cakes, cookies, slices & pies recipes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Nectarines!

You beat me to it :)

I only buy peaches locally, but supermarket nectarines can be quite good.

OP - try upping your fruit and see if that helps.

I'm not able to moderate regular ice cream and do not care for the Halo Top types, so have been eating vanilla yogurt to which I add frozen raspberries or in-season fruit.

Last night I had a big bowl of yogurt and nectarines with a half ounce of almonds - yum! It hit the spot without too many calories or cravings for more.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Some protein bars are yummy sweet, like Pure Protein chocolate caramel. Fruit really satisfies my sweet tooth, especially fresh mango. I also like flavored Greek yogurt. Or plain Greek yogurt with mashed up blackberries and sweetener added (I use artificial sweetener).
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    Candy cakes and cookies were my downfall. I rarely eat any of them now, for fear of losing control, and prefer fruit. It will taste sweeter the less sugary foods you eat, until you reach the point that fruit is very satisfying. Oranges make me pucker now, they’re so sweet.

One neat trick I learned here is to mix sugar free cheesecake pudding mix with Greek yogurt and out it in the freezer for five minutes. (I use 4 grams of pudding mix per serving.). Top it with blueberries or strawberries and you’ve got a very rich, high protein, yummy low calorie dessert.

Or use chocolate pudding mix and put a sprinkle of chocolate hagelslag on top. (available at World Market for a quarter of the price on Amazon and a box lasts forever).

I served it to friends after dinner the other night and they loved it. They thought it was cheesecake and couldn’t believe what it was when I told them.

Experiment with the aquafaba meringue recipes. I use half the sugar most recipes call for and they’re still crazy sweet. And you can eat a dozen smaller ones and do virtually no damage while still feeling like you’ve indulged.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I agree with fruit (bananas!). But I've found that protein powder is sweet, satisfies my sweet tooth, and provides extra protein that keeps me full for a long time. You can make recipes with protein powder too, not just shakes. Do a search and you'll find a bunch of ideas. One of my favorites is "protein fluff."
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,659 Member
    Options
    Frozen seedless grapes are little sorbet bombs. Frozen watermelon chunks. Mashed frozen bananas.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,437 Member
    Options

Look up Keto cakes, cookies, slices & pies recipes.

Gotta be careful, though: If counting calories, some of the keto recipes are not at all low in calories.
  • SoleTrainer60
    SoleTrainer60 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My husband and I keep snack size candy bars in the freezer. Then when I am craving something sweet I have a tiny candy bar. 😊
  • Marisela170
    Marisela170 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I found that making my own cakes and snacks and whatnot but switching out all the sugar and unhealthy crap with foods that were healthier and naturally sweet helped a lot.