Hurricane Diet... No Elecricity!

Options
degobah
degobah Posts: 55 Member
Did Irene take anyone's power today? Where are you & what did you eat?

I'm in Long Island. 10:30pm and still no power. All I have left to eat (that didn't spoil) is whey protein shakes and bananas. I had 5 today squished together with a fork. Not so yummy without ice in a blender.

I keep having to charge my phone in the car. Sure hope power is back soon, as I doubt the food stores have much to offer. Unless the power turns on very soon... 10 lbs of chicken and 5 lbs of turkey burgers in the trash. Cant make pasta or rice. Damn my electric stove and microwave lol!

Replies

• aliciaday
    Options
    Coming from Florida where we get this kind of thing regularly:

Soups on a camp stove. Tasty, low cal.
    Stock up on things like trail mix that don't need refrigeration but have protein to keep you going.
    Water is always good, and protein shakes can be made with that, right?
  • AngelaWeber
    AngelaWeber Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    That sucks! I went food shopping right before Irene and bought non-perishables at the same time. I was kicking myself for buying the meats though, just in case we lost power. Luckily we didn't. You have peanut butter and bread? Healthy dry cereal?

Hope your power comes back on soon
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    she hit here yesterday...all day!! we lost power before breakfast so we went to golden coral(1st time in 5yrs) and loaded up.
  • MiaCasa
    MiaCasa Posts: 2
    Options
    Another tip from South Florida. Miss your morning coffee? Even with no electricity your coffee maker still works. Measure the coffee as usual but pour hot water (you heated over your camp stove) directly over the coffee in the filter. And while you're at it, hard boil some eggs and keep them on ice in the freezer (don't peek or you'll let in the hot air).
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    When my electric is out I use my gril. It has a burner on it as well as the actual grilling part. Otherwise, I honestly prob would have eaten pb sandwhiches or cold soup.
  • Teach4Hisglory
    Teach4Hisglory Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I must agree... We in Florida know what's coming when a hurricane is predicted, so we stock up on what we anticipate needing for a few days. (It's a good idea anytime... You never know what might happen.) I also pack my lunch (and often dinner), so I keep lots of nonperishable options (that fit my diet plan) on hand.

If you don't have meals prepared ahead of time, you may be out of luck (or you might just have to eat what you can and add activity). But, if you've got water and protein powder, you're in good shape. :o) Hang in there, and enjoy the simple things in life. (I always find a strange pleasure in knowing I'm without electricity - for awhile. It's like a mini camping vacation!)
  • CarmenSox
    CarmenSox Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I was in Wilmington NC when she hit...we were out of power from 9pm Friday till about 8pm Saturday.. NOT BAD... i have experienced way worse!!! Anyways.......WE GRILL! Some of our best meals are during hurricanes.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    13 days without electricity after Katrina. We ate alot of vienna sausages, peanut butter, and canned veggies. We were lucky that we had a gas stove but it was too hot to cook inside all of the time.

We slept outside in a tent just because it was cooler than being inside.

Hoping your electricity comes back on soon. Good luck
  • moprincess76
    Options
    there are power adapters that you can buy in any walgreens or walmart that plug into your car cigarette lighter that will convert over to plug in basic appliances.. ( coffee pot, toasters) even electrical coolers...
  • nursegessica
    Options
    Here in Mississippi we just grill everything in the freezer. There are always plenty of mouths to feed after a storm. We all support each other in the aftermath. I can remember back into the mid-1980's doing that in my grandma's back yard after Hurricane Elena (?sp), every couple years with tropical storms, and other big storms (including the ultimate ***** Hurricane Katrina). Best of luck to ya. Forget the diet crap until after the power is back on LOL. Hit up a neighbor or close friend for some food. Glad you made it through in one piece.
  • MaryRarick
    MaryRarick Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'd cook up the meat on the grill and throw a neighborhood BBQ! :)
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    you have to call the take out place that DOES have electric or drive over there LOL - I was just trying to think what I would do - I'd be in TROUBLE! my stove AND grill are electric - so now I'm going to have to go to the army surplus store and buy some MRE's (meals, ready to eat)
    i guess I'd get some cans of tuna, peanut butter & stuff (I don't buy a lot of canned food, fresh or frozen) and make sandwiches
    or, as I said, K-rations
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    OK, third times the charm. Lost electricity for 1/2 an hour, and it's been flickering all night. 90 percent of my area is out of power, but not us. Thank you God!

I live on Cape Cod and am used to storms. Kinda know how to prepare and what to do. First, do you have a grill? Do any of your neighbors? If not, do you have a wok? If you can make a fire you can cook. If you need a grid use the metal shelving of your stove on top of your fire. I know there's plenty of wood around! You should be able to boil water and cook with a good fire, and if you and some neighbors keep a communal one, you all can be cooking all day and night long!

You should have turned your freezer and fridge up to the highest level prior to the storm. Take something you want to defrost and put it in the refrigerator part. It is now an old fashioned ice box. Don't open the door unless you need to.

Pretend you're camping! Man vs Wild! and next time, prepare better.
  • degobah
    degobah Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Definitely some fantastic ideas!! Wish I posted this topic 4 days ago lol. Live and learn :) Im glad to hear everyone is ok.
  • vegetarian218
    vegetarian218 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I packed my freezer as full as it would go so that everything would stay frozen longer. Stocked up on non perishables: had plenty of cereal and rice dream (doesn't need to be refrigerated until opened), soups, peanut butter, etc. We made some home made bread to have around too. Made a batch of tea ahead of time. Had tons of drinking water. Power stayed on here for the most part but we felt prepared anyhow. I appreciate all the tips on this thread though! I think I'll check out camping stoves now...
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Thanks to Irene, the streets I normally go for running have no power, and there's tree branches liberally sprinkled everywhere. Very dangerous combination. Couldn't go out for a run tonight >:(

Food-wise, my house has enough to last a few days.