Clean Eaters (I need help!)

Options
I have recently adopted the eating clean lifestyle. I have been reading about its health benefits for a few months and weight loss is not the only reason I have decided to take this on. I have always had intense migraines (since I was a baby), so intense that I am constantly in and out of the emergency room. Medicines don't even seem to help. Well, eventually we had discovered that some of them were being triggered by Nitrates (a preservative and also used as a flavoring). Now that I am older and reading this information I think that if that one single preservative was causing so many problems, other preservatives must being doing the same.

So here are my questions:

1. Almond Milk- Which brand is best for eating clean? (I enjoy Almond Silk Unsweetened, but when I read the label I wasn't sure if it was still considered "clean")

2. Liquid Egg Whites- I've read about Tosca Reno boiling her eggs and eating mainly the whites, is there a reason she doesn't use liquid egg whites?

3. Protein Powder- Which brands are the cleanest?

4. PB2- What are your thoughts on PB2? I started eating it because it doesn't have much fat, but should I be sticking to the peanut butter that isn't dehydrated?

Sorry to write a novel!

Replies

• NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I also just really focused on on clean eating, so I'm excited to see what others have to say. I can't offer much in answer to your questions. I just picked up a book (clean eating recharged) to read the basics. Turns out that for the last few years, I'd been mostly eating clean without calling it that. concentration on whole foods that come from nature, not a factory.....minimally processed. I'd say I was doing that about 75% of the time, and for the last week or so (since getting and reading the book) I've focused on it more.

I prefer coconut milk to almond milk....just a preference. I am (for now) staying away from protein powders b/c they don't fit with my whole food mindset. I think I can manage enough protein via food. We'll see.

If you want, add me as a friend and we can learn together.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I'm still learning. I'd like to know others' answers as well.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I'm still learning. I'd like to know others' answers as well.
  • BossSauce69
    Options
    I don't know much about this either, but I'm interested. Besides what pops up on google, what have you been using for a resource?
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I use the blue diamond almond milk. protien powder no I eat enough
    protien without it,, I use fresh eggs I dont like the slimmy texture of
    liquid egg whites and I love PB2
  • heidisbeeman
    Options
    I prefer Almond Breeze Unsweetened... NutriBiotic Vegan Rice Protein is the cleanest protein shake I have found (if you can get past the taste), and I stick with organic / all natural peanut butter (I am a peanut butter junkie!!!).

Otherwise - I am very interested to hear any other input on this topic since I am still learning as well :smile:
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I can answer a couple of your questions:

1. Almond milk - I use blue diamond unsweetened. I don't like the silk because of all of the added stuff. Idealy you should make your own, but practical-wise, make sure there are no adverse additives and you should be fine. Have you tried coconut milk? I use organic coconut milk for my protein shakes.

3. Protien powder - There are many options, whey, egg, beef, etc.. I use whey mostly and the brand I buy is J Robb, it's a little pricey, but it tastes great and not sweetened artificially. It doesn't have aspartame, ascelfame, or growth hormone. There are many protein powders available, just make sure that the ingredients are "clean."

I am trying to better at clean eating, so it's a work in progress.
  • babylovedoll
    babylovedoll Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I too have dreadful migraines (I mainly get them from to much MSG, smells, loud noise, ect.) recently about 3 months ago, I got my first round of Botox and so far it seems to be helping. About every 3 months you're suppose to go back for shots of Botox and I can't wait to go again, since June my headaches have gone from about 6 a month to 2 a month. Maybe Botox is something you can talk to your Dr. about. Loving not having migraines!
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    Bump
  • KLaurean
    KLaurean Posts: 112
    Options
    I don't know much about this either, but I'm interested. Besides what pops up on google, what have you been using for a resource?

I just read The Eat Clean Diet Recharged by Tosca Reno, but google has definitely been a godsend.
  • KLaurean
    Options
    I too have dreadful migraines (I mainly get them from to much MSG, smells, loud noise, ect.) recently about 3 months ago, I got my first round of Botox and so far it seems to be helping. About every 3 months you're suppose to go back for shots of Botox and I can't wait to go again, since June my headaches have gone from about 6 a month to 2 a month. Maybe Botox is something you can talk to your Dr. about. Loving not having migraines!

Hahaha.
    I actually did the whole botox thing myself (I haven't noticed much of a difference, but I love using the excuse "it's for my migraines")
  • shantie10
    shantie10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I LOVE PB2!!!!!! I love to use it with my celery!
    I also do the Herbalife protein shakes and make them into smoothies with blended ice and frozen berries....I have tryed to many different protein powder and Herbalife is the one my entire family loves...hubby and kids!!
  • Nana_Anne
    Nana_Anne Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    good luck on "clean eatting" ........oh boy don't get me started ;-) We get bombarded with chemicals in all areas. BPA the FDA (HA! they are not on your side) has finally said the food industry needs to look for another alternative. As the law stands ALL acidic products canned must have a BPA linning. Eden Beans do not but their tomato products have to. Think about getting organic and doing your own canning contact you jar maker...all those lids contain BPA. Then there is sodium laurel sulfate, ever wonder why you can't swallow toothpaste? "Kiss My Face" toothpaste does not have the chemical so you don't have a danger if swallowed. Watch grass fed beef that they are not useing corn to fatten them up before slaughter. I buy Azure out of Oregon. You'll have to look where your at. When in question email the companies and they will gladly answer your question. I tend to stay away from GMO fruit's and Vegies (non-organic) Even organic you have to watch the country that the food comes from because a USDA stamp means they are approving but the country where the food is grown all has different standards. Such as me personally I don't buy "mexico organic" me shakes head, ever met thier government? A good movie to watch is "Food Inc' and maybe the movie "Tapped" you can watch online with netflix instant play. You have plastic codes to deal with too. I only use #5 if I have too. At first food shopping took me hours then my basics were down I could expand. I buy my organic coconut oil from Mountain Rose Herbs online. A gallon after shipping is right under 50. Plus my all time favorite over the counter vitamins and powders ect...are not regulated. Independant lab studies showed major descrepancies in them. Actually the more expensive brands had more problems. I don't buy liquid eggs since where I am the eggs are cheeper to just remove the yolk :-)

I know my answer isn't your question but look some of these up on the headaches :-)
  • Nana_Anne
    Nana_Anne Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I had no clue I could edit :-)
  • KLaurean
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!
    This makes me even more excited about eating clean!
  • AndreSF
    AndreSF Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I prefer Almond Breeze Unsweetened almond milk or the same by Trader Joe's. Egg whites, actually, any brand as long as it's 100% egg product, but on occasion I do go for egg beaters for the taste :)
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I have recently adopted the eating clean lifestyle. I have been reading about its health benefits for a few months and weight loss is not the only reason I have decided to take this on. I have always had intense migraines (since I was a baby), so intense that I am constantly in and out of the emergency room. Medicines don't even seem to help. Well, eventually we had discovered that some of them were being triggered by Nitrates (a preservative and also used as a flavoring). Now that I am older and reading this information I think that if that one single preservative was causing so many problems, other preservatives must being doing the same.

1. Almond Milk- Which brand is best for eating clean? (I enjoy Almond Silk Unsweetened, but when I read the label I wasn't sure if it was still considered "clean")

2. Liquid Egg Whites- I've read about Tosca Reno boiling her eggs and eating mainly the whites, is there a reason she doesn't use liquid egg whites?

4. PB2- What are your thoughts on PB2? I started eating it because it doesn't have much fat, but should I be sticking to the peanut butter that isn't dehydrated?

Sorry to write a novel!

In my opinion, I find that egg beaters/liquid egg whites are full of chemicals. I'd rather eat an egg or separate my own...
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Clean eating has also significantly helped with my weight loss and digestive issues :)

For almond milk, I drink President's Choice organic un-sweetened almond beverage.

For liquid egg whites, I just separate the yolk from the eggs from my free-run hens

I still don't trust protein powders...so I can't comment on them, as I don't think many are all that clean.

Also not so sure about PB2. I've heard all about it, but it just doesn't sound right. So I stick with natural organic peanut butter...that only has one ingredient.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

Sorry to write a novel!

there is no right or wrong with "clean" eating. do what works for you - simple as that.

To be honest though, there's no benefit to eating egg whites without the yolk, as the proteins in the white are made to break down and be absorbed with the fat of the yolk, and without that yolk, your body doesn't assimilate the whites as well. Secondly yolks are delicious and thirdly they help lower cholesterol. They're a perfect food. Eat them.

Almond milk is generally made with all sorts of additives so the only truly "clean" almond milk is home-made. But if you're gonna do boxed stuff, find some without carrageenan.

Again, with protein powders look for things that don't have additives on the label. I've used egg protein in the past that had just that ingredient. It's out there, but you have to sift through all the stuff with flavors and preservatives.

At the end of the day, do what WORKS for you and makes you feel better. Simple as that. Don't get unnecessarily restrictive if it's going to be too hard to sustain.