Counting those calories when all you really want to do is hang out with Wantu Gourge!

Options
I am fairly new on this fat loss quest, this being only day 5, but already |I got a taste of my friend Mr. Gourge! Let me tell you a little bit about my friend Wantu Gourge. Wantu is a bit complex as a person, providing some good and bad qualities. Mr. Gourge never fails to fill a short-term need for me. Whenever I let Mr. Gourge come over he always gives me a big burst of pleasure, overloading my taste buds with whatever flavors I desire, with the pure freedom of a little boy splashing in the mud. I can indulge in countless sugars, saturated fats, salts, anything I want! The party can go on for hours before Wantu gets tired and wants to go home. Here is where Mr. Gourge can get cranky! He will not hesitate to make you feel so stuffed you cannot sit down with comfort. Oh, but worse comes...then he will sneak into your head and begin to make you feel guilty for eating so much food, even though he urged you the whole time. Wantu can make you feel ashamed, weak, hopeless. Even when he goes home he does not stop. Mr. Gourge shows up on the weight scale, in the mirror, on the blood pressure machine, anywhere he can get his hands on. So, really, why do I invite Wantu over to my home when he causes so many long-term problems and provides only a fleeting moment of pleasure?

This is where Wantu is his most sinister! Even though you know that inviting Mr. Gourge over, even for just an hour, will give you many problems down the road, it is still just so hard to say no when he imbeds himself into your very subconscious! I will catch myself craving Mr. Gourge's company even while in the middle of healthy long-term eating, as I watch my excess fat melt away, and my well-being and self-confidence improve. For instance, just last night Wantu made an uninvited appearance. A friend of mine made a joke about Oh Henry and Mr. Big chocolate bars, and this triggered my desire to invite Mr. Gourge over for a visit. I resisted the urge to call him but I can't deny the desire to do so was there. If only I could make Mr. Gourge seem even less attractive, than maybe I would not get such strong desires to have him over. Perhaps, by reading about the long-term effects of too many Mr. Gourge visits I can learn to dislike him. I guess since Wantu does provide so much pleasure and momentarily takes away my urge to have him over all the time, I could allow for a game of cards here and there. But, the problem with Wantu is that if I have him over one night, he wants to come over every night! Oh, Wantu Gourge, why do you have to be so difficult?

I would enjoy hearing about everyone else who has that annoying yet somehow desired friend named Wantu Gourge, and how they keep him in line 8). Thanks and may you continue to keep Mr. Gourge in his proper place!

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,232 Member
    Options
    Nothing changed for me in a meaningful way with this until I went to therapy and worked out the issues that caused me to binge.

Since I have done that, I have no urges to binge, no emotional eating, no out of control issues. I still eat more than I should on occasion-but it’s always under control and a conscious choice to do so.

Good luck to you in whatever path you choose.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Mr. Gourge and I had an abusive relationship a few years ago. He demanded my life morning til night, even if I was sick from his actions. Fortunately, we were able to break up with the help of my therapist and stress and anxiety management techniques.
  • JJGottaLoseIt
    JJGottaLoseIt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Nothing changed for me in a meaningful way with this until I went to therapy and worked out the issues that caused me to binge.

Since I have done that, I have no urges to binge, no emotional eating, no out of control issues. I still eat more than I should on occasion-but it’s always under control and a conscious choice to do so.

Good luck to you in whatever path you choose.

That is very encouraging to hear Duck that this battle may not always need to go on!
  • JJGottaLoseIt
    Options
    Mr. Gourge and I had an abusive relationship a few years ago. He demanded my life morning til night, even if I was sick from his actions. Fortunately, we were able to break up with the help of my therapist and stress and anxiety management techniques.

I am glad to know that if these urges do continue I do not have to necessarily live with them!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

I am glad to know that if these urges do continue I do not have to necessarily live with them!

He still comes by on occasion, but I always remember how I felt during those times, and compare it to how I feel now, and I know that the short-term satisfaction is not worth it at all, and pain will come afterwards. Even when it's not abusive (i.e. overeating instead of binge eating) I never feel good afterwards, just on a physical level. With overeating I don't feel guilt like I do with binge eating, but both of them end up with a stomachache.
  • JJGottaLoseIt
    Options

He still comes by on occasion, but I always remember how I felt during those times, and compare it to how I feel now, and I know that the short-term satisfaction is not worth it at all, and pain will come afterwards. Even when it's not abusive (i.e. overeating instead of binge eating) I never feel good afterwards, just on a physical level. With overeating I don't feel guilt like I do with binge eating, but both of them end up with a stomachache.

That is a very mature way to look at it! It is not like it may cause you problems 10, 20 years down the road, and it may, but the negative effects can hit very quickly, like with what you mentioned, a stomach ache, or even bloating, fatigue, acid-reflux, etc. Thanks for putting it into perspective.
  • JJGottaLoseIt
    Options
    I was really hoping to hear more about peoples struggles with the urge to eat too much...I know many of us struggle with that. I look and see that discussions like, 'would you date the person above' and ,'would you get out of bed with the person above' are big sellers but I mean come on, lol, this is a fitness site not a dating site...then again, the gym can be a meat market at times ha ha.