Your best tilapia recipe

Options
I’m new to tilapia and cooking with fish.
Please post your favorite tilapia seasonings and recipes please? TIA

Replies

• privy95
    privy95 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I put a piece on a bed of baby spinach. Drizzle with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Use a shake of Tone’s Rosemary Garlic seasoning or Tone’s cilantro lime seasoning. Broil a few minutes until cooked through!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is a very lean and mild fish. I treat mine pretty simply. Butter, lemon, salt and pepper in a frying pan. Garlic, paprika olive oil, s&p in the sous vide, and the same in the smoker.

I think the important thing to remember is you probably want a little fat and a little acid and then you can just experiment.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Preheat oven to 400.

Put fish in baking dish.

Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika. Put a tspn of butter on top.

Bake for 10-20 minutes depending on thickness of fish. Squeeze 1/4 lemon wedge on top. Serve.

I don't eat tilapia anymore but this recipe is how I cook all my fish. A thick piece of Cod takes 20 minutes. Salmon takes 15. Tilapia might take 10.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Oh and remember that any fish that is frozen right before you cook it will likely end up boiling in some methods of cooking. In order to get fish to have a firm texture you need some dry heat. My sous vide set-up does not do this but then I use that fish like you would use a tuna packet and make a "salad" out of it.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,484 Member
    Options
    Throw some Tilapia in a dry skillet and heat until flaky. Douse in Frank’s red hot sauce. Serve in tortillas or over salad.
  • mom23boys2007
    mom23boys2007 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks all
    I had my first piece of tilapia tonight. It was frozen still in the middle so the texture was a bit off.
    I will try for salads in the future thanks for that tip.
  • chsberthelot7946
    chsberthelot7946 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Season with salt and lemon pepper wrap in bacon. Bake in oven until fish is flaky and bacon is done, take it out eat the bacon and throw away the tilapia. Lmao jj kinda
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Dip tilapia in egg and then coat with Panko bread crumbs seasoned with onion powder, chili powder and salt and pepper. Spray with nonstick spray. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes. Top with avocado and salsa. Or put pieces of tilapia (cooked the same way) in a corn tortilla together with shredded cabbage, avocado and salsa and squeeze fresh lime on top (fish tacos!).
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    I don't eat tilapia anymore either, but here is my mom's brilliant and easy Chinese contact fried fish. I've done this with defrosted tiliapia fillets. It's glam enough for a dinner party and it doesn't even show if you accidentally break the fish.

Finely chop a large handful of spring onions and finely dice a cubic inch of fresh ginger. Set aside. If doing this step a few hours in advance put the ginger at the bottom of a deep bowl, and then cover with the chopped spring onion. This prevents the diced ginger from discoloring when exposed to air.

When you want to eat, cook the fish until done (145F internal temperature or opaque when you make a cut in the middle). I microwave in a rimmed serving dish, but my mom poaches the fish.

Place the fish in a rimmed serving dish. Cover with the ginger and spring onions. Add a few large glugs of soy sauce, a squeeze of lemon or a glug of vinegar, a large pinch of sugar, and a glug of something alcoholic (sake, chinese rice wine, dry sherry, even a small shot of gin). Bring the dish to the table.

In a small saucepan heat a quarter cup of neutral vegetable oil until very hot. Use your nose as it should just start to smoke. Carefully pour hot oil over the herb mixture to blend the flavours. There will be a lot dramatic sizzling noises.

Serve with plain rice.