Weight Loss, Blood Pressure, Thyroid, and So On

Options
So, not looking for a diagnosis but just experience. I am going to my endocrinologist on Monday so the thyroid questions will likely get medical answers next week.

I'm a 55 y/o woman, sedentary right now due to tenosynovitis of the posterior tibial tendon (been sedentary for a year). Over the past year or so, I put on close to 20 lbs mainly just eating whatever the heck I wanted. I got tired of feeling like a blob so the day after my colonoscopy this year (June 1st to be exact), I got back on track with eating. I mean, I was seeing that my BP was going just outside the normal range for the first time in my life and I generally was feeling bad. I figured the weight loss could only help my ankle issue. I am 5'7" and weighed about 162 lbs at the time (not excessive) but, honestly, there were times that the scale was close to 165. Highest weight ever in my life. My larger clothes weren't fitting and I had about 2 outfits to wear to work.

I input my info into MFP to lose 1/2 pound per week. It came back with 1450 calories which was really depressing. But I did it. 95% of my days are within range. Honestly sometimes I'm under. I've had just a handful of days that I went over. I still always feel hungry though.

Well, it's been a success. I am now down to 148 lbs (14 lb loss in roughly 80 days). While my loss was not linear, it certainly averages out to more than 1/2 lb per week. All my clothes fit, I generally feel better. But I do have days, like today, where I feel a little off. Decided to check my BP today: 95 over 65, give or take, over a few readings. I tried to take it standing up and my home machine just errors out, which I don't think is a good sign. In the last week or two, if I'm bending over to do things and come up, I might get a little "head rush" but not always. Just weird.

I started feeling like maybe, now that I've lost weight, I might actually be hyperthyroid. I know that can happen but I think it takes a good amount of weight for your usual dosage to get affected. Really, this could be the reason why I'm feeling a little off. I've had increased heart palps for sure which is telltale sign for me of overmedication. So that is going on. Again, that will checked on Monday.

I guess I'm looking for feedback from others who've lost about 10% of their body weight on how it effected your BP and, if you take thyroid meds, did you have to adjust? I should be happy about the BP, but honestly, it freaks me out a little.

Replies

• AlisaRN
    AlisaRN Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm following just to find out too. I started at 173 and have no thyroid. I'm 161 now and hope to lose about 25 lbs more and am curious as to what to look out for. I have labs due in a month or two.
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,854 Member
    Options
    After I lost over 50 pounds last year my thyroid medication was reduced. I used to take 150 mcg and now I am at 137 mcg, even with a little weight gain back since the holidays. My blood work showed perfect thyroid numbers 2 weeks ago. I was also taken off of 4 of my Type 2 diabetic medications. I still take Metformin, however, and I still have at least 40 more pounds to lose. As you may know, thyroid medications have to be adjusted slowly, so as you lose weight you may need extra blood testing. While its nice to have the higher dose since it aids in metabolism (you can lose weight faster with stronger thyroid medication) you & your doctor will have to do what is healthiest for your thyroid, including reductions. You will feel a little off until you do. Congrats on the weight loss. Wishing you great health & continued success!
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    AlisaRN wrote: »
    I'm following just to find out too. I started at 173 and have no thyroid. I'm 161 now and hope to lose about 25 lbs more and am curious as to what to look out for. I have labs due in a month or two.

I don't have a thyroid gland either. Lost mine at age 30 because of thyroid cancer. I've been lucky that my meds were stable for a very long time (usually at .137 for 20 years). When I went through menopause, my dose needed fairly drastic lowering (I'm down to about .100 mcg daily). Thyroid hormone binds to circulating estrogen so when estrogen reduces you need less thyroid medication, who knew? Now, that I've lost about 12-14 lbs, I think I might be a little hyper.
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10% (>26lbs) and am on synthroid--hashimoto's hypothyroidism plus thyroidectomy last year, yay! I've been on the lookout for hyper symptoms, but haven't felt any just yet. when I hit the 20 lb mark I contacted my endo to let her know and see about getting my levels checked. she agreed, so I'll be getting that done next month.

it's a good idea to get checked, especially if you're feeling symptomatic. definitely let them know about the heart palpitations, BP, and dizziness!
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Obviously this is all a conversation for your doctor, but what you're describing - low BP, head rushes when getting up sometimes, etc. - may be dehydration, and is possibly also just not having enough food. You know how they say, don't eat salty foods because you'll bloat and it'll make your blood pressure go up? The reverse is true too, dehydration makes your BP plummet. It's very easy to not take in enough liquid while dieting - you feel less thirsty because you're eating less sodium, and so on. Hence MFP's idea of putting a hydration section into the daily diary.

My BP was prior to my diet on the cusp of Stage 1 Hypertension, but it's come waaaaay down since I started dieting and exercising. On some days, if I work out and don't get enough liquids, it can actually be close to your numbers - around 100 / 70. Quite close to you, really. Especially during the fasting periods of my dieting day. Anyway, if I then eat and drink looooootttssss of water, it comes back into the normal, expected range.

So I would start there, hydration. Hydration may solve the BP issue and food and lots of water will almost definitely solve the head rushes, which I too sometimes get.

Of course, discuss all with the dr. I'm just sharing a bit of my own experience with similar symptoms, I am not a dr.
  • CMNVA
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Obviously this is all a conversation for your doctor, but what you're describing - low BP, head rushes when getting up sometimes, etc. - may be dehydration, and is possibly also just not having enough food. You know how they say, don't eat salty foods because you'll bloat and it'll make your blood pressure go up? The reverse is true too. It's very easy to not take in enough liquid while dieting - you feel less thirsty because you're eating less sodium, and so on.

My BP was prior to my diet on the cusp of Stage 1 Hypertension, but it's come waaaaay down since I started dieting and exercising. On some days, if I work out and don't get enough liquids, it can actually be close to your numbers - around 100 / 70. Quite close to you, really. Especially if I've been fasting, which I do a lot of these days. Anyway, if I then eat and drink looooootttssss of water, it comes back into the healthy range.

So I would start there, hydration. Hydration may solve the BP issue and food and lots of water will almost definitely solve the head rushes, which I too sometimes get.

Of course, discuss all with the dr. I'm just sharing a bit of my own experience with similar symptoms, I am not a dr.

Thanks, that's what I'm looking for!

It's hard to know what to do "food wise." Plenty of people on these boards are doing around 1500 calories a day and feeling great (or so I read). I oldish, sedentary, etc. and, really, 1500 calories should be a reasonable amount, but I guess everyone is different. What I will say is that I probably don't get enough fluid. I drink about 60 ounces of water per day and not much else. Between commuting and sitting in meetings at work, I can't be running to the restroom all the time and that's what it does to me.

The head rushes have been pretty mild. I mean, if I'm sitting or laying and I stand, it doesn't happen. It's weird. Like last night, my dog destroyed her toy so there was "fluff" all over the carpet. I was bending over, walking around and scooping it up. Once I stood upright, I got that feeling. Not like I was going to faint or anything...just a little rush. It happened earlier this week doing some similar type of thing.

Anyway, lucky for me my endo appointment had been scheduled and is happening on Monday so I'll get some answers there.

I've been sitting around teleworking today (not moving much). Had some scrambled eggs and two large mugs of hot tea for breakfast. My BP is hovering around 93/65. Just checked it again and I was at 88/66. Now, I'm not real sure how accurate my home monitor is.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    While waiting to get to your endo appointment, why not try a little experiment. Tomorrow, have a more solid day of food - like 1700-1800 calories, get some carbs in there (those retain water, unlike things such as scrambled eggs) and even some salty foods, and drink lots of water. I mean, don't drown yourself but really make sure you're fully hydrated. Then, in the evening some time, not too long after you eat, maybe an hour, take your BP and see what the results are.

Head rushes are weird. Sometime in the first month of my diet, I was in a grocery store. I had done a heavy duty cardio workout and hadn't really drank enough water. Also, I was doing very low sodium (1200mg/day) per doctor's suggestion and had completely debloated. And I was on an empty stomach too. So basically, there was nothing in my GI tract, solid or liquid. I knelt down to look at a great looking product - a "health" bar that was actually a chocolate covered wafer, and I was down there for a while admiring the genius of the marketing of that thing as a health product. When I stood up, I got a ferocious head rush. Really felt like I was going to faint, and it took 10 seconds or so to pass, but I was definitely worried during that time. Since then, I've been much more diligent about staying properly hydrated and making sure my diet efforts stay reasonable with the food, and haven't had any additional instances.
  • CMNVA
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Today I was teleworking so I guzzled a few extra glasses of water and after lunch (leftover spaghetti and tortellini) I did notice that the BP climbed a bit. I took myself out and treated myself to a Five Guys Little Cheeseburger and split an order of fries with my husband. Probably the 'junkiest' meal I've had in a while.

I really do think there *must* be something up with my thyroid levels. For the last 2.5 months, sure, I've been hungry a lot on 1450 calories but it had gotten more tolerable. The last couple days, the hunger has been more intense. Even after this hamburger a little while ago, I feel like I could just keep eating.

Anyway, off to check my post meal BP.