Hi. My names Rachel and Im a Fattie Pattie...

Options
Recently I gave up smoking and have taken up eating. On the plus (excuse the pun) side Ive also taken up excersizing (already sprained my rotator cuff, any excuse to stay off the rowing machine!). Not alot mind you but more than my usual nothing. Ive been lucky enough to have been an average size/weight for the past ten years so this healthy living is very new to me. Counting calories, sweating...unheard of in my house! Im also too terrified to find out how much wine Im allowed to consume now. I dont usually have a limit...

Scary times I tell ya!

Anyhow, Hi! Ive found this site very useful thus far and not depressing as I suspected it was going to be =)

Replies

• audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    ya Im fat too cuz I like my beer! Its a light beer but still! I need to eat more and thats just scary!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    When I quit smoking I found that sucking cinnamon sticks was a nice way to occupy my hands and mouth without eating too much. Good luck with the smoking, even if you gain a few pounds in the short term, the health benefits are fantastic. I encourage you to exercise - it will help your brain adjust to life without nicotine.
  • sunshinel397
    Options
    Aahhh. I am quitting smoking again and am stressing about the weight I might gain on top of the weight from the last quit. Very frustrating. Good luck with your quit and your calorie counting!
  • auskelly
    auskelly Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i know that feeling, i gave up for 3 and a half months and gained 10kilograms HUGE, then my grandfather died and i took smoking back up but became depressed so i ate my way to another 9 kilogram gain. :( im too scared to quit again in case i gain even more weight. so im trying to get back to 70kilos where i was before i quit, and then quit again and continue losing weight cause by then it should be routine . not fun :/
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    this is the reason i cant quit smoking, it does however hinder my exercise lol, i still get out of breath easily, but if i quit smoking yet im scared of what i will eat
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    When I quit smoking I found that sucking cinnamon sticks was a nice way to occupy my hands and mouth without eating too much. Good luck with the smoking, even if you gain a few pounds in the short term, the health benefits are fantastic. I encourage you to exercise - it will help your brain adjust to life without nicotine.

Now THERE'S and idea I hadn't thought of!! Thanks! I'll have to try that! I'm thinking of quitting, but scared of the weight gain. I've lost 19 so far, and I LOVE it!! I feel better already, and have 81 more to go. I don't want to rebound.

I know there are emotional issues that go along with quitting smoking. Right now I'm working on the emotions behind eating for comfort. Once I slay those demons, I'll work on the quitting smoking ones. I'm also considering getting an electronic cigarette just to see if that would be of any assistance.
  • TruckerChick
    Options
    I quit smoking in January after having lost about 50 pounds. Gained back 15 pounds. Was a little bummed but I knew I'd be able to lose the weight come summer time. THEN my aunt got real sick and I quit my job to take care of her and spent the next 5 months sitting on my *kitten*, more or less, and gained 35 pounds!!! I'm so disgusted with myself!! But ... I never smoked a single cigarette while I was taking care of my aunt! That was HUGE!!! So now that I've got the whole non-smoking thing beat, I know I can beat the weight thing too!!! :happy:

Good luck to you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • WachyBoo
    WachyBoo Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks for the support! Ive taken to not smoking like a fish to water. Love not smelling like an ashtray (not that I noticed myself but other smokers, peeeeewwwwweeeee), having extra dollars in my pocket (till I spend it on food) and generally feeling much better about myself (I can see Im going to turn into one of those righteous better than tho pricks who us smokers hate).

Its the eating that will cripple me. Im really well behaved in the morning and at work, its dinner time and later in the evenings that will push me to tip the scales. Would be easier if I didnt have a family to feed I suppose? I would get burned at the stake if I started serving salads and other healthy options. I need to stop being lazy and cook myself a separate meal to the "others". Bust out some organisation skills!