Feeling down :(

Options
I'm feeling like complete rubbish at the moment. I started out the year so well and managed to lose 13kg over 4-5 months. I was super proud of myself and felt absolutely incredible! It was my lowest weight in years (I've been overweight since I was a child).
But then I went on holiday and stopped counting my calories. I fell into this habit of overeating, and when I got back I really struggled to properly count my calories. Somedays I managed really well, but then the next I would be eating far too much (mostly in the evenings) and feeling super guilty about it. Now 2 months on and I've gained 8.5kg back and I feel horrible.
I'm just sick of it and feeling really demotivated :(
Any advice/support?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    When you are doing well, are you eating a variety of foods that you enjoy? Do you allow for indulgences? Are you eating enough to lose at a reasonable pace so that you don't get burned out by undereating?

Really, the only thing we can do is to keep trying. Imagine how big I would be if I had never tried. And I say that as someone who has gained and lost 20 lbs. in record time three times in the last two years :( But right now, I am down 35 lbs (rather than just 20) and have been consistent for longer than any of the other recent tries.

One thing that seems to help me is fitness. Not (just) because of the calories burned, but because 1) it gives me something to do rather than eat out of boredom and 2) it gives me goals, a reason to stick to the diet. It gets easier to ride my bike, hike up the canyon, do push ups, etc. as I lose weight. The diet usually falls apart AFTER the fitness is let go. ie, earlier this year I hurt my back. Not only did I need a lot of rest, but I after a few days, I ordered pizza hut because I couldn't walk around the grocery store. Let's just say One Meal a Day eating did not work for me in that situation!
  • montyeva1114
    montyeva1114 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I completely understand and have been there. In fact I bet most of have successfully lost weight on a particular plan and later gained it back!!! I have. You are much more than your weight. Remember that and also remember that you have had success and have the ability to do this again. The good news is that you haven’t gained it all back yet. Start over. One day at a time. One meal at a time. Feel proud of yourself again. I’m rooting for you.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    Calculate a modest calorie deficit deficit, say .5 lbs per week and log everything no matter what. No throwing up you hands and not logging when you go over. Even wildly over. Make a good faith effort to count everything. You can adjust the numbers when you have control of the process.

And slow down. It doesn’t matter how fast you lose so long as you lose. It’s better to go slow and keep it gone.
  • CaityGracie67
    CaityGracie67 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I imagine the majority of us have ended up in some kind of similar situation- losing then gaining. Your support means a lot x
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Don't feel bad, you did what most successful maintainers do. You caught yourself early enough not to be back at your original weight. It's a valuable experience that you can learn from. A couple of years ago I regained about 18 kg. Here I am now, lost them and then some and maintaining. I knew exactly what derailed me back then, so I was ready when the same challenge presented itself again and was able to overcome it. You only have the best to look forward to.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,449 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I imagine the majority of us have ended up in some kind of similar situation- losing then gaining. Your support means a lot x

I lose a bit then static normallyi have given up by now but determined this time, hang in there you will succeeded.
  • willsundaydnd
    willsundaydnd Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I wouldn’t worry to much about it-setbacks are a part of life and it’s not easy to be disciplined all the time. I also overeat during the holidays, but over the years I have just realized that I may not be doing the best thing for my weight, but I am enjoying myself by having some treats for a while, and that I will get back on track as soon as I can but I won’t let guilt ruin my good time.