Coffee before workout: dangerous or healthy?

Options
diogomello12
diogomello12 Posts: 33 Member
edited August 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Someone care to tell me? :)

Thanks.

Replies

• xplodemarketing
    xplodemarketing Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You're fine... I wouldn't drink 10 cups or anything though.

I found when I drink caffeine before playing tennis or a run that I get exhausted quicker, but if I'm not doing HIT or just working out in the gym then I would prefer to have it.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    For me: dangerous = NO, healthy = NO, necessary = YES.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    None of the above.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    If it's a morning workout, then I'd go for option 3: 'essential'.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Unless you drink several cups, its an ineffective dosage unless you are very sensitive to caffeine. But its not dangerous.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Neither dangerous or healthy. It's fine to drink if you wish, but not nessecary to performance or health. If it gives you an extra boost in energy to get through that AM workout, go for it. Personally I feel like the excersise itself is almost as good as coffee... Almost. So for me coffee after is optimal, lol.
  • Butt_Snorkeler
    Butt_Snorkeler Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Dangerous in the sense that you might now have the extra urge to poop while out on your run. Prob why they call it "the runs"
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The other options are irrelevant or insignificant.

As a very low caffeine responder personally for me it would be irrelevant and I have to come off caffeine totally for about a week and take a large dose during a long distance ride to get any kind of effect at all.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    coffee is only dangerous if i dont drink it.

because then people will die.

especially the people at the gym. lord they annoy me.

Oh how I wish there were a “Love” button! I’m the same way! Dangerous for other people if I don’t have my morning coffee!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    With everything going on in the world to worry about i think this is you severely overthinking. I cant see how caffeine before working out could be bad unless possibly you have a preexisting heart condition in which case youd likely be avoiding coffee to begin with. In my possibly very uneducated opinion id drink the coffee...coffee is delicious and the energy boost helps my performance. And i have a heart condition. Following to find out if im stupid :p

im amused i got 5 likes on a post i called myself possibly uneducated lol. Glad no new info seems to have come to light and i can still enjoy my coffee -currently sipping one- thank gosh.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Dangerous in the sense that you might now have the extra urge to poop while out on your run. Prob why they call it "the runs"

Exactly this ^^^^ Which is why I pretty much run loops close to the house in the mornings. It's inevitable :/
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I typically have at least 2 morning coffees before spin class. I’m a bit of a caffè addict - I am guilty!

I’ve wondered the same. Haven’t had any issues this far and I’ve been doing it for years. Is it possibly harmful / I’ve actually read that it may boost your metabolism because your heart is beating faster, but it’s a good question as to whether it is overworking the system.

I dunno! But following the discussion!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee before I spin or on-water row, because I find coffee slightly (not dramatically) diuretic. I don't need to be getting an urge out in the middle of a river someplace, especially. Coffee after, and plenty of it.

Why would a reasonable amount be dangerous to a healthy person, though? Caffeine is the main active ingredient in a lot of pre-workout supplements!!?!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I’ ve had an extra cup of coffee before a gym workout and have not noticed a lot of difference. The answer to your question depends on your personal tolerance to caffeine. I think the latest USDA recommendation is 400 mg per day pax. YMMV.
  • NoHookUpZone
    NoHookUpZone Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I need coffee before I do anything or the public in general would be in danger