Long Bike ride breakfast

Options
I'm finally healthy enough that we can start back on our long bike rides. I've been working with a nutritionist, and I'm curious about what others eat before they ride. I don't ride hard, usually 11-12 miles per hour, and have been riding 22-25 miles, with a stop in the middle. Today we're likely riding 25, but likely not stopping until we are home. We would like to be able to ride The Loop, a bike path here in Tucson that circumnavigates the city. The total mileage for just the loop part is 55 miles. I'm looking for suggestions about meals before riding, as well as snacks to take for the long ride.

I have been working out with a trainer for roughly a year, and my stamina and strength have definitely increased. I've lost 40 pounds, but still need to lose at least 20 more; less if my skeletal muscle mass increases considerably (it's already increased quite a bit as it is!).

So throw me your suggestions, please.

Replies

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner rather than a cyclist, but before a long run at the weekend it's always porridge.

I top it with fruit and a spoonful of nut butter. Easy to digest, delicious, will keep me going for hours.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I am also a runner rather than cyclist, but before a long (2+ hours) run I have oatmeal and a banana. During the run I use honey stinger energy chews and tailwind (as most other things like Gu and Gatorade make my stomach churn).

For shorter runs (less than a couple of hours) I don’t really do anything special.
  • Butt_Snorkeler
    Butt_Snorkeler Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Unless your area is quite hilly, I wouldnt think a sub 12mph ride would require any kind of prepping. Just take carb heavy nutrients with you to re-energize. Treat yourself to a nice meal afterwards
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My go to breakfast before a long ride is mostly carbs, with some protein and low fat.
    Typically a protein shake made with skimmed milk and about 80g of either muesli or granola.
    I find that easy to digest and tops up my glycogen levels nicely.
    (Porridge is another option in cooler weather.)

During a very long ride I stick to a fairly regimented routine of a self-mixed sport energy drink and every hour eat a small malt loaf or cereal bar. I aim for a minimum of 60g of carbs an hour for rides over about 100km.

If a hot or humid weather also think about your electrolytes.

Other popular foods as fuel are bananas, dried fruit, carb gels/gums and of course cake, always cake!
    Little and often is generally better but that's quite personal - I've seen people doing a 24hr race purely fuelled on carb gels and other stop for a huge meal.

But can't stress enough you don't try a new fuelling and hydration routine on your big ride, practice and perfect on your training rides.
  • fourtotwentychars
    fourtotwentychars Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This morning I had the usual muesli and coffee before I went for a 75km ride, so no special breakfast.
    If you're riding for longer than 45 minutes to an hour you'll probably need to eat something during the ride. Bananas are good, but also energy drinks are useful. Anything with easily-digested carbohydrates in; today I took a half/half mixture of water and grapefruit soda.
    You do sweat a lot more than you realise while cycling: try it on an indoor stationary bike without a fan blowing in your face and see. So to avoid dehydration you need to drink frequently, and before you think you really need to (the same goes for eating: don't wait until you're hungry). If you don't you risk muscle cramps as all your electrolytes end up in your shirt. You can get electrolyte tablets to dissolve in plain water if you don't like sports drinks, and they help to avoid cramp (especially the ones with magnesium).

In summary: Eat a normal breakfast, take bananas and possibly a drink with carbohydrates in, start eating after 45 minutes or so, drink plenty of fluids, and avoid cramp by replacing electrolytes that you'll lose sweating (bananas are good for that too).
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I don't think your ride requires too much prep. Eat your usual breakfast, if you normally have breakfast. If not, that depends. I can do 30 something mile ride in the morning with just coffee, and sometimes a spoonful of yogurt to offset the heartburn that i can get from coffee on an empty stomach without eating. Other times, i eat regular breakfast, which could be oatmeal, yogurt and fruit plus coffee. Definitely make sure you bring plenty of water. If you are just starting out and it's an intense ride and a long distance for you, bring snacks. Something that won't melt in your pockets, granola bar, nuts, prepackaged jellies are ok. Cookies even. Banana, but not too ripe one. Normally one doesn't need any extra food gor a good, fast, intense ride that will be couple of hours long. Just hydrate appropriately.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Unless you're riding later in the morning, 10 or 11 maybe, I wouldn't eat anything and plan on eating brunch afterwords. If you're riding later in the morning then eat whatever you'd normally eat. Maybe bring something like a Clif bar, a banana, or some gummies (things that won't melt or get smooshed) with you just in case. But I personally would probably would do that ride without food.

That said, if I'm exercising in the morning it's very rare that I'll at beforehand unless it's a very very long ride.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I like fig bars, apples, & oranges and a protein bar for snack during my ride, but my max has been 30. Some triathletes swear by salted boiled potatoes & PBJ sandwiches cut into quarters.
    For breakfast I'll have eggs & english muffin or oatmeal & yogurt, then a banana within 30 min before my ride.
    What do the people you're riding with eat?
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Pre: banana + Coffee with sugar
    During Ride: Rice Krispy Treats, Gummi bears, and gel packs.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    + lots of water
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything before my 20-35 mile rides. I just have a nice meal after. I haven't found that I lacked energy during them or needed anything. But to be safe, it can't hurt to bring a small pack of nuts or granola bar.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,906 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter much what you eat before the ride ... it matters more that you eat during the ride.

Nevertheless, for a 50 mile (80 km) I'd have a couple pieces of toast with something yummy on them. Then I'd bring some good quality, reasonably high calorie, granola bars.

Don't forget your water bottle!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    As someone who has taken up cycling recently I would disagree with those who talk about very little prep. I depends on so many factors. Elevation, surface, type of bike / tyres, wheel size and your height / weight.

I do agree with those who suggest go early, no food, take buts / banana / granola bar in case of low energy but that is just what suits me. I haven't gone longer than an hour yet so take from that what you will :)
  • LovelyRodriguez
    LovelyRodriguez Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    AZTeri2016 wrote: »
    I'm finally healthy enough that we can start back on our long bike rides. I've been working with a nutritionist, and I'm curious about what others eat before they ride. I don't ride hard, usually 11-12 miles per hour, and have been riding 22-25 miles, with a stop in the middle. Today we're likely riding 25, but likely not stopping until we are home. We would like to be able to ride The Loop, a bike path here in Tucson that circumnavigates the city. The total mileage for just the loop part is 55 miles. I'm looking for suggestions about meals before riding, as well as snacks to take for the long ride.

I have been working out with a trainer for roughly a year, and my stamina and strength have definitely increased. I've lost 40 pounds, but still need to lose at least 20 more; less if my skeletal muscle mass increases considerably (it's already increased quite a bit as it is!).

So throw me your suggestions, please.

I am encouraged by your post, cleaning off the bike today
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I agree with many of the above posters. Unless it is a VERY hilly and/or a ride with a massive headwind, you really don't need to do much prep. I would bring lots of water, a banana and have my "normal" meals before and after. I haven't ridden in many years, ( I miss it sometimes) but when I did - I was obsessed. Did 40 fast miles most weeknights and two centuries every weekend. It is when you get up toward the 100 mile ride mark - that's when there is some prep involved. This is my opinion only. Everyone is different and I'm certainly not an expert...AND I was admittedly much younger back then. It may be a different story if I was doing it now at 64...LOL
  • AZTeri2016
    AZTeri2016 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I ended up having oatmeal, an apple and peanut butter. The route we took is hillier, a 429’ elevation gain, most of that in the last mile of the front half of the trip. We are working towards doing a 60 mile ride that will have hills. This time we didn’t stop and rest aside from a few minutes. I made it through the whole trip without feeling off; I’m so glad to finally be riding again. And water - oh trust me, I drink water. A kidney infection and stone earlier this year see to that! We actually get water from Costco that has electrolytes added for that specific reason.

After I got home I had a protein shake with yogurt, berries, almond milk, Isopure protein powder. Then lunch which was a salad with grilled chicken. Dinner out - salad and one small slice of pizza. I ended the day with 300 or so calories left over. Which leads to today - I’m positively famished! Just had yogurt, fruit, 2 eggs and a piece of chicken and trust me I could still eat a cow. But because today is my one rest day, I have to stay in my calorie range so it’s going to be challenging!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    on days you have long workouts - i would really focus on hitting your calorie goals (including those you burned while working out) - its really easy to get yourself into a state of undereating in scenarios like that and (in my experience) once you are in the hole, its hard to get out of it
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I ended up having oatmeal, an apple and peanut butter. The route we took is hillier, a 429’ elevation gain, most of that in the last mile of the front half of the trip. We are working towards doing a 60 mile ride that will have hills. This time we didn’t stop and rest aside from a few minutes. I made it through the whole trip without feeling off; I’m so glad to finally be riding again. And water - oh trust me, I drink water. A kidney infection and stone earlier this year see to that! We actually get water from Costco that has electrolytes added for that specific reason.

After I got home I had a protein shake with yogurt, berries, almond milk, Isopure protein powder. Then lunch which was a salad with grilled chicken. Dinner out - salad and one small slice of pizza. I ended the day with 300 or so calories left over. Which leads to today - I’m positively famished! Just had yogurt, fruit, 2 eggs and a piece of chicken and trust me I could still eat a cow. But because today is my one rest day, I have to stay in my calorie range so it’s going to be challenging!

I can definitely relate to being hungry the day after an especially long or hard ride. If i do my usual 30 something miles, I'm good. For some reason, even extra 10 miles will put my eating/ hunger levels into super drive. And usually it hits me the next day. I try not to go too crazy, but I don't log, so just minding portions and trying to figure out what is it that my body craving and lacking with the least amount of damage could be challenging. Most times i succeed at figuring it out. Usually it's extra protein and fat that settles my hunger, and sometimes i succumb to cravings for sweets. But i learned to just allow myself to eat if I'm hungry, and it's been working for me. Glad you had a good ride.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Assuming we're talking about early enough in the morning that a normal breakfast isn't ideal, I usually go with a bagel to tide me over but I also fuel with Gatorade and Gu for runs or Stropwaffles during the bike.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,906 Member
    Options

Did you eat while you were riding?