Will NOT Eating the Calories I Burn w/Exercise Mess Up My Metabolism?

Options
My goal is to lose 140 to 150lbs. I've been losing 2.4 pounds very consistently by sticking close to the calorie count suggested by MFP. I'm going to start incorporating exercise into my daily plan (We purchased an elliptical) so I'm wondering if it's okay to NOT increase my calorie intake because of exercise. I've read conflicting articles regarding whether or not this would mess up my metabolism and at age 55 I really can't afford to make it any slower than it already is. So, should I add a portion of the calories burned to my calorie intake or keep my intake at the 1400 calories suggested. Which would be most likely to mess up my metabolism?

Replies

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I think it can help to look at it in a different way.

The calculations for how many calories you should eat are based on how many calories you burn daily, as a general rule. Your maintenance level of calorie burn, you know?

Because while it IS individual how much you burn daily, it can be averaged fairly well for most people as long as your weight and general daily activity level is known (sedentary, active, etc...). But it is simply made up of all the different calorie usages during the day.

X calories used to make heart beat for a day.
    Y calories used to digest food for a day.
    Z calories used to move your body around for a day (differs depending on activity level and weight).

'Exercise calories' is literally just a name we have given for additions to the 'calories used to move your body around' category. Mostly because if we are exercising, it's often not the same amount every day (otherwise, we could just change the activity level on our initial calculations and be done with it).

So it may help to remember that exercise calories are not some type of, hmmm, extra or special type calorie in the calculations, I guess I would say. You have a daily amount of calories burned, and that's really it. HOWEVER those calories were burned, it's still just one category.

So if you are looking at how much weight you are losing, and using calories to figure that out, the net loss of calories is really all that should be looked at to judge how it is going to affect you rather than trying to separate out your burned calories into differently judged sections. Now whether a higher or lower calorie net loss is better? The guys above have more information on that, IMO. I'm just mentioning this because I think it can be helpful to remember, when trying to work out how much to exercise or eat.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    What MikePTY said. Every word of it ^^