Facial swelling and bloating

Options
I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this or had any success addressing it. My face has a habit of bloating really badly, this can result either from binging (occasionally I really overdo it) but can also happen when I overly restrict calories (usually down to 1000-1200 after a period of binging). Sometimes also its not specific and usually is worse in winter. I had my thyroid checked around 4 years ago which apparently came back normal, I also have high cholesterol despite a BMI of 21.

The reason im posting here is I think food may have something to do with the issue and wondered if anyone else had remided a similar issue with dietary change. I did go to my doctor explaining the problem i'm also extremely tired, i'm depressed (actually this can get really bad) I suffer digestive issues and i cant loose weight easily..then nothing other than maybe low vitamin D shows up in the generic blood work so the answer is there is nothing wrong with you the rest of us deal with it so should you!

The face swelling thing is bad to the point of people noticing, those that arn't subtle about their comments say things like i look like a completely different person. SO has anyone experienced these symptoms and have you found a solution? AIP, paleo, avoiding certain foods, low carb (not keto as ive tried and it makes my depression worse), other tests, medication (i tried fluoxitine for depression and binging and it made the fatigue worse and didnt have much effect on anything else), supplementation has anyone tried anything thats actually worked?

Replies

• xplodemarketing
    xplodemarketing Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Are you consuming high levels of sodium?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this or had any success addressing it. My face has a habit of bloating really badly, this can result either from binging (occasionally I really overdo it) but can also happen when I overly restrict calories (usually down to 1000-1200 after a period of binging). Sometimes also its not specific and usually is worse in winter. I had my thyroid checked around 4 years ago which apparently came back normal, I also have high cholesterol despite a BMI of 21.

The reason im posting here is I think food may have something to do with the issue and wondered if anyone else had remided a similar issue with dietary change. I did go to my doctor explaining the problem i'm also extremely tired, i'm depressed (actually this can get really bad) I suffer digestive issues and i cant loose weight easily..then nothing other than maybe low vitamin D shows up in the generic blood work so the answer is there is nothing wrong with you the rest of us deal with it so should you!

The face swelling thing is bad to the point of people noticing, those that arn't subtle about their comments say things like i look like a completely different person. SO has anyone experienced these symptoms and have you found a solution? AIP, paleo, avoiding certain foods, low carb (not keto as ive tried and it makes my depression worse), other tests, medication (i tried fluoxitine for depression and binging and it made the fatigue worse and didnt have much effect on anything else), supplementation has anyone tried anything thats actually worked?

Jeez, what an awful doctor. Get a new one, and possibly a referral to an allergist.

Meanwhile, do learn how to advocate for yourself. Here's something to get you started: https://themighty.com/2018/05/tips-advocating-for-yourself-at-doctors-office/
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Oh jeesh, hon, hugs. I am so sorry. I do not know the answer, obviously, but tests and things to try? This is what I'd suggest.

1. Get a new doctor if there is any way possible, because they are obviously not good for anyone not in a tiny range of average.
    2. Celiac disease testing might be helpful. Here's possible symptoms of celiac disease: digestive issues, extreme fatigue, depression, difficult either losing OR gaining weight, vitamin deficiencies (there's a few hundred, all told, and some are rarer, so bloating may be in there - it impacts a LOT of bodily systems). These are literally some of the most common, basic symptoms, too, so...your doctor fails utterly if they never even suggested getting tested for these. The tests look for reactions to gluten that you are eating, however, so you have to keep eating gluten before testing for it to be accurate.

3. Testing for auto-immune diseases/disorders, period. While there an be a lot of wide ranging symptoms for auto-immune disorders, fatigue, gut issues, and depression are very common to many of them. Inflammation of the brain has, in recent studies, been suggested to contribute to depression. Auto-immune diseases increase inflammation in the body, so it's not surprising depression would be common to many. Another oddball commonality in auto-immune disorders is vitamin D deficiency. Research hasn't shown if it's more an effect, or if there may be something else in the body causing low vitamin D that contributes to causing auto-immune disorders, but there IS correlation. Honestly, I would jot down your symptoms (including the bloating, possible even specific location of bloating), and then google them along with words like auto-immune and/or disorder, symptoms, disease. And literally see what comes up.

I have a few rare disorders, so does one of my kids. Nearly all of our diagnoses literally got diagnosed because we asked to get tested (as opposed to the doctors suggesting it) and we got most of our information from either support groups or from doing exactly the above advice, then going to the doctor and asking to be tested (and had our guesses validated with testing). We had a couple things we tested for that we didn't have, but so far, out of 7 disorders we have collectively turned out to have (confirmed via testing), all 7 of them were ones we asked for testing for. Only 1 of them did the doctor suggest testing for (when our purpose for coming in was to GET testing after online research).

4. Allergies - allergies can cause gut issues and bloating, even if they aren't bad enough to cause itching and hives, sometimes. Might be worth getting food allergy tested. Also might be worth doing an elimination diet (Dr. Joneja has a fairly well recommended book called 'dealing with food allergies' that talks a lot about food allergies, testing, and so on - she also deals with an allergy-related issue called histamine intolerance, and diets for that, in articles online that can be found). We don't have accurate testing for almost all food intolerances, or chemical sensitivities, so almost all of these can only be found through elimination diets.

Some common intolerances/sensitivities I know of that can cause gastro distress and/or bloating:
    lactose intolerance - lactose free diet required
    fructose malabsorption - requires a low FODMAP diet
    sulfite sensitivity - this is a bleaching agent and a preserving agent. It is commonly used to bleach salt to a white color, bleach pistachios shells, preserve lemon and lime concentrate, dried fruit, wine...
    intolerances to various thickeners - xanthan gum is the big one that people are known to have trouble with, and with its popularity in GF foods, it's become more popular in the mainstreem foods, too. But guar gum and various starches can sometimes cause intestinal issues, as well.
    annatto - it's an orangish-yellowish seed that is used as a dye. Can be found in all sorts of foods and is a common thing to be intolerant to. Can be found in all sorts of things, like butter, cheese, brownish or yellowish liquids like coffee creamer, etc... It can be tricky to hunt down, because there are some things where, if it is in low enough amounts in the USA, it won't have to be mentioned on the label (I believe some butters are in this category, to keep the yellow color uniform).

Most of these types of things have support groups or websites that you can check out to get an idea of what foods might be problematic, if you are looking to see if they match with anything you are eating and having trouble with.
  • scientist_mad
    scientist_mad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you have to deal with a doctor who seems to be blowing you off (happened to me.. nearly died - I changed doctors). I agree with the people here who are encouraging you to learn how to advocate. It is hard to do because it requires some extra work on your end (it is hard for me, anyway... it annoys me that I can't completely entrust the doctors I see with my care, but then again... they don't have to live with the consequences of what they tell you like you do).
    I am NOT a doctor, but my input would be to ask if you have considered seeing a cardiologist? A friend of mine was suffering from swelling (face, feet..), and assumed it was due to his weight because there were correlations that implied that, but it turned out to be related to a heart problem.
    I hope it all works out!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You need a different doctor. An allergist is a good idea. Don't mess around with potential allergies--some can be very dangerous.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I certainly agree with the others about seeking a new doctor/allergist.

I would also recommend seeking out a therapist to deal with the severe depression and potential eating disorder issues (with the binge/restrict cycle). At a 21 BMI, it doesn't sound like you need to lose any weight, so I think getting help with the depression as well as the issues related around your relationship to food/body image will be beneficial. I am not sure how much if any of it plays into the swelling issue, but it certainly seems like it would be beneficial in addition to pursuing that with your doctor.
  • squidgybunny_276
    squidgybunny_276 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies. It is good to hear from others that it is not something I just have to accept, I think a part of knows its not "normal" to feel so bad on an almost daily basis, i'm sorrry for those who have had similar experiences. Reading the article on advocacy i realise i may have put too much faith in just one doctor who didnt have the time/inclination to take me seriously.

Definately going to try to see a new doctor, make a proper list of symptoms and take in research on allergies/autoimmune issues mentioned on here so I can try to persuade them to at least run thorough tests. Last time i'm not even sure what exactly they tested for. Getting a printout of the results is also a good suggestion. Fingers crossed this time they'll be able to look in more detail or at least refer me to an expert who can.

I cant believe i didnt think more of allergies, i've heared of celiac or lactose intolerant but i didn't know about of some of the food alergies mentioned on here. Will check this out (hopefully with some professional help).
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My face does this. I am severely lactose intolerant and can’t take in much sodium at all without bloating and my face always is a good indicator of where my body is at. My dr’s advice was “just don’t eat it” which I don’t but sometimes it’s hidden and I regret it. The other day I had lactose as someone messed up my latte order. I stopped halfway through but was sick for days and my face was so puffy.