Food to bring to work?

Options
I just started working full time, so I'm stuck at work from 11:30-8, and I can't afford to buy Subway everyday anymore...
The conundrum I have is that I have no access to a mini fridge or a microwave, and I can only bring in a small insulated lunch bag (versus a large cooler or something), so I cannot heat anything up or keep anything really refrigerated (such as yogurt or something).
Unfortunately, this really limits my food choices.. I can only survive on turkey sandwiches for so long, so does anyone have any other ideas? :)

Replies

• JeanWalker109
    Options
    I pack an insulated lunch bag w/an ice pack. I sometimes have a sandwich & different fruits for snacks. Other times I have a frozen meal or something. For a drink, I feel a water bottle with ice & by the time I'm thirsty, some of the water has melted. I'm sure you'll find a solution.

Congratulations on the new job!

*smiles*

Jean
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Get a mini cooler you can put an ice pack in it. Than you can take a salad or yogurt. I use one every day.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    lots of cut up veggies like peppers, cucumbers, carrots.. they keep u full and really dont go bad if not too cold.. also apples bananas and kind of fruit really.. or some nuts like almonds..
  • ascoope
    ascoope Posts: 42
    Options
    Turkey Jerky! Low in calories and fat, high in protein.
    Fruits like apples, pears, nectarines, grapes, etc.
    Carrot sticks, celery sticks, cucumber soaked in red wine vinegar.
    Laughing cow cheese and brown rice crackers.
    Kashi bars, or Larabars.

You could heat up soup and then keep it in a thermos? Would that stay hot long enough?
    Salad with tuna or chicken, you could keep the dressing on the side and then keep it cool in your lunchbox with one of those icebox things.
  • Hollie_downunder
    Options
    My staple work food is cottage cheese on crackers, with canned tuna and baby spinach leaves :)

simple, easy to make and great for you!
  • mablache206
    Options
    cherries and nectarines are great this time of year. ( or a container of other cut up fruit) I also bring tuna (pre mixed with a teaspoon of mayo and mustard) and wheat thins. in the fall and winter, if you have a microwave, get those mircrowave ready soups, just pop the top and go. (a baggie of tortilla chips if you need carbs).

works for me. :o)
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    My food diary is open if you'd like to check it out. Everything I bring to lunch is stuff I throw in a little insulated cooler.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    i have this really cool salad container that i used to bring to beauty school......its a large cube and on the top inside of the lid it has a little freezer pack, and then on the top of the lid has a little spot with a fork and knife....then also on top has this little compartment that you can put salad dressing in and all you do is twist the cap and the salad dresseing dumps into the container

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=salad+container+with+dressing+dispenser&gs_upl=0l0l1l324l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1536&bih=723&wrapid=tlif131458159902310&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2843164007579496821&sa=X&ei=ovRaTtjcEc7ciALx1LnJCQ&ved=0CG8Q8wIwAg#

I would of course use it for other things like left over dinners and such, i like eating cold chicken or ham...

My dad has this cooler he takes to work that isn't very big, but we have a huge icepack we put in it and he has a sandwhich, cheese stick, fruit, yogurt, salad and veggies, a diet soda, juice, and on the outside has little snacks like raisens or rice cakes
  • alexwalper
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll definitely try out some of these ideas this week..
    The jerky is a great idea; that never even crossed my mind. I'll pick some up for sure!
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    The jerky is a great idea; that never even crossed my mind. I'll pick some up for sure!

the only problem with jerky is it is high in sodium :(
  • ascoope
    ascoope Posts: 42
    Options

the only problem with jerky is it is high in sodium :(

That's why I get original flavored turkey jerky- it's only 270 per oz as opposed to normal jerky at 590 per oz.
  • deathantaxes
    deathantaxes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend looking into a bento box for hot things; my ex-coworker swore by them. My new job is a mile from my pad, so I only take small snacks and eat lunch at home now. Good luck!
  • Munched
    Munched Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi there, sorry to hear about your difficulty! I can't suggest anything much that has not already been said but could you talk to your employer about getting a little microwave or fridge? Perhaps you and your colleagues could all club together to buy one? I doubt your the only one at your place of work who would like to take their own food to eat. I live in Scotland and have no idea what makes employers in other countries sit up and listen but "Health in the Work place" is a hot topic here! Maybe taking that line would help. Have no idea of your circumstances so hope that this has not been too rediculous a suggestion!! Good luck!
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    you can put green smoothies in a thermos. complete meal, easy to make and take with you.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about yogurt being at room temperature. It's so full of good bacteria (and sealed) that the spoilage bacteria don't even get a chance. I sometimes make my own yogurt and it sits out at room temperature for 14-16 hours.
  • RocknnRobin
    RocknnRobin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    there's some great suggestions here. :smile:

Don't forget the good ol stuff that doesn't require refrigeration.

Individual cups of applesauce
    sugar-free pudding cups
    V8-Juice cans
    peanut butter
    high-fiber crackers
    (sardines if you like them)
    olives
    pickles
    pickled hot/sweet veggie mix
    "smoked" meats—like vacuum packed salmon

Oh and if you absolutely need to have something like mayo on your sandwich, carry a few individual foil packets in your lunchbag. You can find condiments in individual packets at warehouse stores and restaurant suppliers like Gordon Food Services, ect.