Eating Clean...grocery shopping

Options
So I've really just started eating clean and I'm going to the store tomorrow...what should I get? :) Any suggestions are welcome! :)

Replies

• KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Shop from the surrounds of the super market...
  • KLaurean
    KLaurean Posts: 112
    Options
    I just had my first clean shopping trip earlier today. I highly recommend looking up Tosca Reno's shopping list.
    She also has a very helpful website called www.eatcleandiet.com (I wasn't sure if you had already been there or not)

If you have, here's a list of some of the things I bought today:
    Broccoli
    Spinach
    Romaine Lettuce
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Pears
    Apples
    Chickpeas (I made homemade hummus)
  • britterbrittney
    britterbrittney Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    NUTS (raw)
  • isabellammm
    isabellammm Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey! I went grocery shopping today, and though I tend to always buy healthy foods, I felt especially happy as I looked into my cart..
    I suggest spending the most time in the produce section.

Here are some things I got:
    -spinach -broccoli -yellow squash -beets -turnips -grapefruit -guavas -peaches -white mushrooms -baby carrots
    -rice cakes -skim milk -oatmeal

Some other healthy foods you might want to get are: green tea (speeds up your metabolism!), leek, raw almonds, fish or lean meats, tofu, and lentils/beans.

Hope this helps! : )
  • cassyparker
    Options
    I would get some oatmeal, ground flax seed, bee pollen, fresh fruit and vegetables, egg whites, ancient grains bread, almond butter, chicken breast (I buy the frozen boxes), low sodium chicken stock (it makes a good substitute for cooking spray and oils), bison meat if its available, salmon steaks, unsalted almonds and salsa
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I get these every week (take them cut up for my lunch at work):
    Grape tomatoes
    Celery
    Carrots
    Radishes
    Avocado
    Mushrooms
    Cucumber
    Red bell peppers
    Mixed spinach/baby greens

As needed for meals I'm cooking during the week:
    Cauliflower
    Broccoli
    Squash
    Sweet potatoes
    Onions
    Garlic
    Zucchini

I choose what looks good and is on sale (enough for a couple of small servings a day:
    Peaches/Nectarines
    Apples
    Pears
    Cherries
    Blueberries
    Oranges
    Grapefruit

I pick up what's on sale to cook fresh or put in the freezer:
    Salmon
    Chicken
    Beef
    Pork chops

Greek yogurt
    Milk
    Eggs
    Cheese
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is one thing I just can't live without. <3
  • Glamour60Xtreme
    Options
    Oh thank you so much everyone! I can't wait to go shopping now and I def. need to try some Avocados :)
  • Tiffuni
    Tiffuni Posts: 9
    Options
    Wow those are great ideas. Your a great group. :) Do any of you have ideas for a super picky eater like me?? I like simple simple things half that stuff i have never even heard of... embarassing i know..... but what the heck is a leek?!?
  • wendybird2
    wendybird2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    One of the best things I did for my Clean Eating conversion was subscribe to a local farmers' co-op. Every week I pick up a back of fresh, seasonal produce from local farmers. Then, for the rest of the week, I LOVE the challenge of figuring out what to do with it! For instance, once I got a lb of turnips. What the heck? What do I even DO with those? It's easy...just do an internet search for ^"clean eating" turnip recipes^ to get ideas. I found a ton of great ideas to convert those intimidating turnips into a delicious new dish that I had never tried. I made "peppery baked turnip fries" from a recipe I found on food.com. I threw one into a pot of "Seven Vegetable Couscous" off the Clean Eating Magazine website. I grated one up with some cabbage and carrots for a clean Pad Thai recipe.
    Don't even get me started on rutabega. I had no freaking clue what the heck that even was when I started. But if you peel it and chop it into cubes, it tastes great raw on a salad!

I love Clean Eating Magazine and their website, The Gracious Pantry (clean eating blog), The Joy of Clean Eating (another good blog), the Eating Well website, and Food.com.

And, regarding staples, I love Greek Yogurt. I swap it in for recipes that call for buttermilk, mayonnaise and sour cream. I add a tiny bit of stevia and vanilla extract to make my own protein-loaded vanilla yogurt, and top it with fresh fruit. I also eat oatmeal almost every morning--1/3 cup oats + 2/3 cup water + half a chopped apple, microwaved 5 min at 60% power. Add a tsp of peanutbutter, some protein powder, chopped fresh fruit, and a splash of milk. Add a few TBS of chia seeds if you want. yum!
  • wendybird2
    wendybird2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for the leek question...leeks are rather wonderful veggies, but you have to clean them right. Check out photos & instructions for how to do it here: http://localfoods.about.com/od/preparationtips/ss/CleanLeeks.htm

And here's a recipe for "5 Onion Soup" from a recent issue of Clean Eating that I've been meaning to try:

5 Onion Soup

1 Tbs olive oil
    2 leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced (3 cups) and rinsed in cold water
    4 shallots, thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
    1 each white and red onion, thinly sliced (3 cups)
    2 Tbs white wine vinegar
    8 cups low sodium chicken broth
    3 sprigs fresh thyme
    2 bay leaves

In a large pot, heat oil on med-high. Add leeks, shallots and onions. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 min, unit onions have softened slightly. Reduce heat to medium, cover and allow onions to sweat and release water, about 15-20 min, stirring twice. Remove lid and continue cooking for about 10 min. Reduce heat to med-low and cook an additional 20 min, stirring and scraping bottom of pan with wooden spoon every 10 min, allowing onions to caramelize and turn golden brown (onions will be very soft and appear pureed).

Increase heat to high, add vinegar and stif until liquid is incorporated. Add broth, thyme and bay leaves and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer ~30 min.

Enjoy!
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    Oh thank you so much everyone! I can't wait to go shopping now and I def. need to try some Avocados :)

Avocados will change your live... I dice some up and have them with my eggs. I also top my sandwiches off with them... YUM!
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I would get some oatmeal, ground flax seed, bee pollen, fresh fruit and vegetables, egg whites, ancient grains bread, almond butter, chicken breast (I buy the frozen boxes), low sodium chicken stock (it makes a good substitute for cooking spray and oils), bison meat if its available, salmon steaks, unsalted almonds and salsa

bee pollen?
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am also wanting to know about clean eating. Where do you get raw almonds? All you see in the stores is roasted and salted or just plain.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Add a tsp of peanutbutter, some protein powder, chopped fresh fruit, and a splash of milk. Add a few TBS of chia seeds if you want. yum!

chia seeds? arent those the things you use to make your chia pet grow?
  • lre224
    lre224 Posts: 83
    Options
    I just had my first clean shopping trip earlier today. I highly recommend looking up Tosca Reno's shopping list.
    She also has a very helpful website called www.eatcleandiet.com (I wasn't sure if you had already been there or not)

If you have, here's a list of some of the things I bought today:
    Broccoli
    Spinach
    Romaine Lettuce
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Pears
    Apples
    Chickpeas (I made homemade hummus)

Thanks for posting this link! I found the site very helpful with meal ideas. It will help me with how my PT wants me to eat.
  • TamLind83
    TamLind83 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am also wanting to know about clean eating. Where do you get raw almonds? All you see in the stores is roasted and salted or just plain.

I know it's not as helpful since I'm not naming a specific store (since the one I get mine from is a local mom & pop store), but I am usually able to find raw almonds at stores that have a bulk bin area.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

Really? I'm Australian and can get raw almonds at my local big box style shop. (and isn't plain the same as raw?)
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options

I know it's not as helpful since I'm not naming a specific store (since the one I get mine from is a local mom & pop store), but I am usually able to find raw almonds at stores that have a bulk bin area.

I say to check the baking aisle. All of the nuts used in baking are generally raw. Also I get the raw pecans, walnuts, and almonds in big bags (each sold separately) at Costco. Trader Joe's has them, too. In fact I just found a website for Dr. Joel Furhnam. Interesting approach to eating, too. You can google his name and find him easily. He has recipes for salad dressing with raw cashews so I picked some up today at Trader Joe's.

Thanks for all the website listings! Can't wait to look at them!