How to set up MFP?

Options
I work a desk job and am sitting most of the day. I workout 2-3 times a week for 1-1.5 hours. I'm 27, 5'6 and 185. I don't know if 1200 calories is enough or not enough?

Replies

• ashleyeatsbetter
    ashleyeatsbetter Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 kcal what MFP suggested when you entered your information? Did you say you want to lose 2 lbs a week? I would recommend changing it to 1.5 lbs, or even 1 lb.

If that's MFP's recommendation, it is expected that you would consume additional calories to account for energy used in workouts.

Do I just eat back whatever I burned at the gym exercising?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 kcal what MFP suggested when you entered your information? Did you say you want to lose 2 lbs a week? I would recommend changing it to 1.5 lbs, or even 1 lb.

If that's MFP's recommendation, it is expected that you would consume additional calories to account for energy used in workouts.

Yes, although depending on where you're getting your estimates for calories burned, you may want to eat somewhat less than the estimate. I find machines (like treadmills) often give inflated estimates of calorie burns. A lot of people choose to only add 50% to 75% of the estimated burned calories to the number of calories they eat. (I always allowed myself to eat 100%, and it didn't slow my weight loss, but I chose MET-based estimates for calorie burns in lieu of the machine estimates.)
  • ashleyeatsbetter
    Options

Yes, although depending on where you're getting your estimates for calories burned, you may want to eat somewhat less than the estimate. I find machines (like treadmills) often give inflated estimates of calorie burns. A lot of people choose to only add 50% to 75% of the estimated burned calories to the number of calories they eat. (I always allowed myself to eat 100%, and it didn't slow my weight loss, but I chose MET-based estimates for calorie burns in lieu of the machine estimates.)

Okay I think I can do that! I use a fitbit when I workout so I'll just eat back half of whatever I burn!
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm 33, 5'7", 92 kg (about 180 lb) and get all my exercise from walking 1-2 hours every day. I eat at least 1850 calories a day and lose half to 1 kg (1-2lb) a week. Your mileage may vary but I would really, really struggle on 1200 calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    How far are you from your goal weight?

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • ashleyeatsbetter
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

Do basically I could just eat the calories it's giving me and not workout and lose weight.. But if I hit the gym, track my calories with my fitbit and eat part of those back?
  • ashleyeatsbetter
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    How far are you from your goal weight?

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

I want to lose like 50 lbs! To be around the 135 lb range
  • chrishamilton894
    chrishamilton894 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sorry mate but 1200 cal in my opinion is too low. Your metabolic rate would be slowing down and you would start to plateau. I’m in the same boat with the same stats. I try to to consume between 1500 and 1800 calories a day. I workout 3 times a week for 2 hours a session. I’ve lost 21lbs so far. I aim to lose 2lbs a week. Try increasing your calories by 300 👍
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    ThatJuJitsuWoman Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Are you male or female? My husband and I are the same height (5’8) but there’s a massive difference in the number of calories mfp gives us. He is way above 1200 calories, even when he sets the loss to 2lb per week.
    I have been losing weight steadily at around 1600 calories, and I eat 100% of my workout calories. I’ve done a few days at 1200 as an experiment, but I wouldn’t be able to stick to it for long.