Oatmeal

Options
Question about oats. Does anyone know why they make some people crash and others not. I use to have overnight oats but they would make me crash. So i switched to a high fiber cereal with milk and nuts and the cereal does not make me crash and it has more carbs. I want to go back to my oats but i can not handle the crashing. Is there a way to stop it from happening or is it just my body.

Thanks

Replies

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    What type of oats were you eating? I find steel cut oats to have the longest satiety. These are usually cooked overnight in a slow cooker or rice cooker, rather than just refrigerated.

Also, adding an unflavored unsweetened protein powder can really help (that's what I do with rolled oats). I add about 7-8 grams of protein.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you’re using presweetened instant oats, the sugar therein is likely the culprit. Check the label.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I do steel cut oats cooked with hemp, flax, and hemp protein powder then sweeten with stewed blueberries and date syrup. If I have highly refined/instant oatmeal I get indigestion and crash badly
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Question about oats. Does anyone know why they make some people crash and others not. I use to have overnight oats but they would make me crash. So i switched to a high fiber cereal with milk and nuts and the cereal does not make me crash and it has more carbs. I want to go back to my oats but i can not handle the crashing. Is there a way to stop it from happening or is it just my body.

Thanks

What do you put in your overnight oats? You're adding protein and fat to the high fiber cereal when you add milk and nuts. Do you add any protein and fats sources to your overnight oats, or is it predominantly carbs?
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Thanks

Hi, what does 'crash' mean? Thanks!
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

Thanks

What do you put in your overnight oats? You're adding protein and fat to the high fiber cereal when you add milk and nuts. Do you add any protein and fats sources to your overnight oats, or is it predominantly carbs?

This
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options

Thanks

Hi, what does 'crash' mean? Thanks!
    I assume they mean suddenly feel very flat and exhausted.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I have been eating uncooked Quaker brand rolled oats with a little store granola, banana strawberry and milk six days a week for breakfast for 25 years. I think the oats digest more slowly uncooked.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Without the strawberries and milk this morning's "oatmeal" would only be 146 kcal. So to prevent running out of gas I'll eat more food. Fruit and milk help. Might also have a breakfast sandwich or a Hobbit's second breakfast.
    tj6fx3noxjfa.jpg
    Here's a breakfast sandwich with mushrooms on the side.
    i7my7glra7lk.jpg
    phnszsm0dis0.jpg
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Try savory oats with maybe an egg or cheese added.
    I mix shredded zucchini, cheddar, salt, and pepper in mine and am able to go 5-6 hours without crashing.
    As far as what macro combination helps u feel full, that’s gonna be different for everyone.