Sore ankles from jogging

Options
So about two weeks ago I started jogging rather than walking, for the first week all was going well but now whenever I'm jogging my ankles start hurting. It doesn't seem to be muscular either.
Has this happened to anyone else?
Is this going to go away?

Replies

• buller03
    Options
    How long has it been since you ran regularly?
    How much are you doing now?
    Are you increasing time/distance gradually?

Running is something you need to build up slowly for muscles but more so the joints.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Happened/s to me yes. It goes away with rest and when all the muscles and tendons strengthen it gets better, but it could be made worse by badly fitting running shoes.

If you haven't done so, it's a good idea to get a gait analysis done so you get the right kind of shoe. Otherwise, it could be ankles, then knees, hips, shins, etc (speaking from sad experience)

Enjoy the running though!
  • AngelaKelly02
    AngelaKelly02 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you ran regularly?
    How much are you doing now?
    Are you increasing time/distance gradually?

Running is something you need to build up slowly for muscles but more so the joints.

It's probably been about 3 years, and even 3 years ago I was probably only running 3-4 times a week.
    I've been doing 20-30 minutes 5 days a week.
    I haven't really increased time/distance at all. Perhaps distance has increased as I've increased the speed (I use a treadmill).
  • AngelaKelly02
    AngelaKelly02 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Happened/s to me yes. It goes away with rest and when all the muscles and tendons strengthen it gets better, but it could be made worse by badly fitting running shoes.

If you haven't done so, it's a good idea to get a gait analysis done so you get the right kind of shoe. Otherwise, it could be ankles, then knees, hips, shins, etc (speaking from sad experience)

Enjoy the running though!

Well I shall definitely consider investing in better footwear! Thanks :)
  • buller03
    Options
    It's probably been about 3 years, and even 3 years ago I was probably only running 3-4 times a week.
    I've been doing 20-30 minutes 5 days a week.
    I haven't really increased time/distance at all. Perhaps distance has increased as I've increased the speed (I use a treadmill).

Well, the good news is that I would expect sore ankles at that frequency after a long lay off and little recovery time, so this is perfectly normal.

Even though you might be *able* to run that much, you're likely to injure yourself (been there!). I would first take a few days off, at least one day after you feel fully recovered. Then run 20 mins twice a week. After two weeks increase to 3x week. Then slowly increase the time on your feet by no more than 10% each week.

Its tempting but high volume running like 5x a week can take its toll. When you get upto 3x a week, think about trying to increase the quality rather than focusing on quantity. By that I mean try including some intervals or hills to get more out of the time on your feet.