Why not more men in Group Fitness classes?

Options
dckim
dckim Posts: 311 Member
I regularly attend cardio/kickbox and bodyworks/abs classes at my gym (LA Fitness, in So Cal) and usually I am the only dude (sometimes 1 - 3 more).

I feel self conscious and when I walk in I can almost feel the evil eyes - "oh a man is breaking up our little party". Otherwise I enjoy the classes and the instructors are cool. Any comments/advises? Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm a girl, and I like seeing guys there. It's a nice change, and nice that they're getting their workout.
    So, be proud!
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    When a guy walks into a fitness class I'm taking, I don't give evil eyes. I really don't think anything about it at all!

It's normal to feel self conscious when you are the minority, but maybe no one is really thinking anything bad. I mean are you grunting loudly throughout the class? That's the only thing I can think of that would make one give evil eyes! :)
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    That's exactly how I feel when I go to the free weights section of my gym to do a workout...but I do it anyhow and have realized that no one is really looking at me - I just happen to be between them and the mirror sometimes!!
    If you enjoy the workout, go for it , I say.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I don't take them because of the evil eyes from all the people outside the room thinking, "What is that guy in there for?" I also was forced to try an aerobics class in high school. I never could catch onto the routine, and by the time I was close they changed to a different exercise. I never felt coordinated enough to take the classes, and I really didn't enjoy the one I took, (except for the view of all the females in the class). :)
  • dckim
    Options
    When a guy walks into a fitness class I'm taking, I don't give evil eyes. I really don't think anything about it at all!

It's normal to feel self conscious when you are the minority, but maybe no one is really thinking anything bad. I mean are you grunting loudly throughout the class? That's the only thing I can think of that would make one give evil eyes! :)

I try to be as quiet as a mouse and be respectful (wipe the sweat off the floor, open doors, help w/ putting back weights, no wandering eyes). Trying to earn some points... :wink:
  • dckim
    Options
    I don't take them because of the evil eyes from all the people outside the room thinking, "What is that guy in there for?" I also was forced to try an aerobics class in high school. I never could catch onto the routine, and by the time I was close they changed to a different exercise. I never felt coordinated enough to take the classes, and I really didn't enjoy the one I took, (except for the view of all the females in the class). :)

Cardio/kickbox is pretty intense. In my classes the uncoordinated and fat ones (me :blushing: ) are in the back and the hot fit ones are up front. Also, I sweat so much, the girls give me extra room. In bodyworks/abs class, I try to just look at the floor or ceiling. :tongue:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

I try to be as quiet as a mouse and be respectful (wipe the sweat off the floor, open doors, help w/ putting back weights, no wandering eyes). Trying to earn some points... :wink:

try not opening the door and putting back weights for the girls. do a search. it really ticks some of them off.

I say just walk in there like you own the place. its you time to shine.
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options

try not opening the door and putting back weights for the girls. do a search. it really ticks some of them off.

I say just walk in there like you own the place. its you time to shine.

Yep! What Bill said..... If you act confident and happy to be there, AND don't let yourself be used ... no points necessary.... they should come around. If you appear to be "trying" to fit in or help out, they may continue to walk all over you. You have every right to be there, and they shouldn't be treating you like that at all.

Unfortunately, I've seen this before. Thankfully, it isn't something that happens at the gym here in town. In classes, everyone acts like they are a big family. They support each other... no matter the age, sex, color, or ability.
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    Dude... I posted a rant about this on my wall last Friday. I do Zumba... I've probably done it 6-8 times now. Last Friday, after we finished, I told the girl next to me something like I was so happy I didn't hurt her because of all of my un-coordinated movements. She looked at me like I was crazy! Like, "oh, are you talking to ME?" kinda look! :grumble:

I'm always the only guy in the Zumba class. There was only 1 time when another guy was there and he was really nice. I am too but dang, I'm NOT there to pick up or hit on a woman! Get over yourself, ladies! If you actually look at my SHIRT (and by the way you said it, YOURS too) you can tell that we're working/sweating our butts off!

I too feel like the women think of me as on outsider... like they wanted to have an all girl party but some dude showed up un-invited. :angry: Plus, I live close to a sorta rich place so the women there are better than me, by default. :laugh:

</rant>
  • dckim
    Options
    Dude... I posted a rant about this on my wall last Friday. I do Zumba... I've probably done it 6-8 times now. Last Friday, after we finished, I told the girl next to me something like I was so happy I didn't hurt her because of all of my un-coordinated movements. She looked at me like I was crazy! Like, "oh, are you talking to ME?" kinda look! :grumble:

I'm always the only guy in the Zumba class. There was only 1 time when another guy was there and he was really nice. I am too but dang, I'm NOT there to pick up or hit on a woman! Get over yourself, ladies! If you actually look at my SHIRT (and by the way you said it, YOURS too) you can tell that we're working/sweating our butts off!

I too feel like the women think of me as on outsider... like they wanted to have an all girl party but some dude showed up un-invited. :angry: Plus, I live close to a sorta rich place so the women there are better than me, by default. :laugh:

</rant>

I feel ya... brother. I think some women just don't want to be seen w/o make up and drenched in sweat.
  • Floobaloob
    Floobaloob Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Where I go it's the other way around. That might be because the only fitness class I go to is Super Circuits which is one hour of hell that turns you into a shaking mess sitting in puddles of your own sweat by the end.
    There's usually way more guys than girls - last time about 30 guys and 4 girls, but often its much more even.

I have heard that at 'softer' fitness classes - step aerobics, core balls, stretch to harmony and zumba usually have more girls than guys
    And the 'tough' ones - boxfit, kettlebells, total body workout and super circuit have more guys than girls
  • BuffTexan
    Options
    I feel ya... brother. I think some women just don't want to be seen w/o make up and drenched in sweat.
    Well if we lived closer I would be right next to YOU man! We both know why we're there, that's all that matters. :wink:

[edit]
    But we'd have to position ourselves next to that really hot chick... you know ... the one with the shorts? :laugh:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Where I go it's the other way around. That might be because the only fitness class I go to is Super Circuits which is one hour of hell that turns you into a shaking mess sitting in puddles of your own sweat by the end.
    There's usually way more guys than girls - last time about 30 guys and 4 girls, but often its much more even.

I have heard that at 'softer' fitness classes - step aerobics, core balls, stretch to harmony and zumba usually have more girls than guys
    And the 'tough' ones - boxfit, kettlebells, total body workout and super circuit have more guys than girls

At our center, it's just about all women, all the time. Even the toughest boot camp/circuit type classes are almost all women. The only classes with a significant male presence are the spin classes. For some reason, the guys here just don't want to be in a group.
  • dckim
    Options

At our center, it's just about all women, all the time. Even the toughest boot camp/circuit type classes are almost all women. The only classes with a significant male presence are the spin classes. For some reason, the guys here just don't want to be in a group.

I think the fitness class is geared more towards women vs weight training area (especially the free weights) is for men. Also, instructors are 99% women. At my place there is one guy instructor (step plus abs). We have boot camps/circuits but schedule prevents me attending.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I never give evil eyes- just a "holy crap, there's actually a guy doing Zumba with us?????" surprised kind of look. But who cares. Once the class gets going everyone is focused on themselves and doesn't look around at anyone else anyways.
  • BuffTexan
    Options
    Once the class gets going everyone is focused on themselves and doesn't look around at anyone else anyways.
    Exactly! Thank you!

I was the only guy tonight, no big deal 'cuz I burned close to 1000 cals! And once again, women didn't even say "hi" (before or after). It's just what I've come to expect from those classes now so it's not bothering me as much as the 1st couple of times.

Funny thing is, they probably think, "oh there's that guy that's so stuck up and doesn't say hi to anyone." :laugh:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I love love love when men come into my group classes (I'm a bodystep and bodypump instructor). I used to be 50/50 on my Wednesday morning 5:30 AM pump, but now I'm down to 2 guys. It makes me so sad. I have a couple of guys that occassionally brave the world of bodystep and I get SO EXCITED!!! When I travel for work I look for clubs that have male instructors just to get an taste of testosterone in the group fitness arena (there are only 2 male instructors period at my gym), particularly for cardio. I actually will chase guys down and ask them where they've been and when they're coming back and tell them I miss them. You can come to my class anytime!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Once the class gets going everyone is focused on themselves and doesn't look around at anyone else anyways.
    Exactly! Thank you!

I was the only guy tonight, no big deal 'cuz I burned close to 1000 cals! And once again, women didn't even say "hi" (before or after). It's just what I've come to expect from those classes now so it's not bothering me as much as the 1st couple of times.

Funny thing is, they probably think, "oh there's that guy that's so stuck up and doesn't say hi to anyone." :laugh:

Get in with the instructor and you'll be in with the participants.
  • dckim
    Options
    I love love love when men come into my group classes (I'm a bodystep and bodypump instructor). I used to be 50/50 on my Wednesday morning 5:30 AM pump, but now I'm down to 2 guys. It makes me so sad. I have a couple of guys that occassionally brave the world of bodystep and I get SO EXCITED!!! When I travel for work I look for clubs that have male instructors just to get an taste of testosterone in the group fitness arena (there are only 2 male instructors period at my gym), particularly for cardio. I actually will chase guys down and ask them where they've been and when they're coming back and tell them I miss them. You can come to my class anytime!

Right on! I have tried 8-10 different instructors, and the regular ones know my name. Some are friendly and encouraging. Some aren't. Very 1st time I attended the bodyworks/abs class, I raised my hand and asked "is this a women only class?" Some chuckled... :tongue: The instructor said "absolutely everyone is welcome". :happy:
  • BuffTexan
    Options
    Get in with the instructor and you'll be in with the participants.
    Funny you should say that! Tonight, the instructor asked if anyone had a HRM on and how many cals they were burning. One lady and I stepped up to show her, I was right next to the instructor. She all but practically ignored me after holding a conversation with the other gal. She looked at me, I gave her my cal burn, and she just mumbled, "wow that's a lot." :grumble:

I'm not looking for anyone to roll out the red carpet for me or any other man that shows up but dang, be nice at least! I'm starting to get the "big picture" now. Maybe it's time to find a more "man-friendly" class. That's too bad because I really enjoy the calorie burn from this class.