Weight and Clothing Size

Options
I hope it is ok to ask this as it really bothers me. I am a female weighing between 110-113 lbs at 5' 5.5". I have been this weight range for about five years, and before that was very underweight for six years.

I wear a size 4 in pants and jeans. My body is very tiny towards the top, in chest and arm area, but I carry more weight in thighs, butt, low abdomen. I could wear a child's top and have almost no breasts. I have friends who weigh as much as 30 to 40 lbs more than I do who wear a size 2 or less in pants. Almost everyone who is my weight wears smaller size pants than I do.

I am moderately active with dance, ballet, cycling, lifting weights and calisthenics, hiking, canoeing etc. I workout about an hour and 20 minutes per day five days per week on average. I do however have an 8 hour a day desk job.

Why do I need a larger size pant than others who weigh a lot more than me? Is it due to body fat or is it bone structure? Though I am 47, I am also in surgical menopause since age 33, but even before that, when my normal weight was around 120 as an adult, I wore size 6-8. I was under 100 lbs before I could fit into a size 0. When I would lose more body fat, I would lose it everywhere and would look skeletal on top, so I am not sure that I could reduce fat in just lower area.

I am just curious if anyone else experiences this? Is it normal to vary so much in size of pants for people of the same weight?

Replies

• mbonacci12
    mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your body shape. I am smaller on top than the bottom. But the sizes vary by designer/brand widely. I have clothes size 4 to 8 that I currently wear.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is normal.

Just because two people weigh the same on a scale doesn’t mean they carry the weight the same way. Your friend may be more (or less) muscular than you. Or you may just be genetically blessed to have larger legs and a smaller torso.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Different bodies hold on to weight and size in different places. My hips and butt have always made shopping difficult, no matter what size I am! Even several sizes down from where I was a year ago I have to wear the same type of shape as I did then as I'm the same shape, just a smaller version of it.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've lost a lot of weight this year. My bust is now down to a size 6 / 8 AUD/UK, my hips are around a size 8/10 but my waist is still around a size 12. It's frustrating because it means I still don't quite fit into conventional sized clothing but our bodies are weird and inexplicable :P
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    men have it sooo easy when it comes to clothes shopping - waist and length - yes, i know women have hips as well - but you would think it could be done...

did with shirts - collar size and sleeve length; add boob circumfrence and voila
  • Pricklypineapple422
    Pricklypineapple422 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    cbihatt wrote: »
    beckyrpl wrote: »
    Don't go by sizes of clothes - I'm 5'2" and weigh about 116 lbs - I have sizes in my closet - all that fit me well - from a 2 to a 10. Due to vanity sizing, the size on your clothes is meaningless right now. Clothes manufacturers realize you're more willing to buy a garment that is a lower size, so sizing is now really skewed. It could be body shape - I am very small on top, a bit bigger through my hips and belly (this is especially true since I've gone through menopause). Relax, look in the mirror, focus on the good.

I read somewhere once (maybe here on MFP) that vanity sizing is not actually a thing. The explanation has always stuck with me. Apparently clothing manufacturers make a size 12 to fit the average sized woman. So, as the average size woman got larger, so did a size 12. Other sizes are cut larger or smaller than the size 12, accordingly. I guess that’s why they use an arbitrary number instead of measurements. But, it’s not a huge conspiracy to make us feel better or worse about ourselves.

Vanity sizing refers to the change in size of clothing over time, and the thought that people are more likely to buy clothing and feel good about themselves when the size is a smaller number, regardless of their body size. Vanity sizing has changed pants sizes, for example what used to be a size 6 is now a size 0 at some stores.

While people who wear larger sizes typically see no issue with this, the people at the small end of the spectrum lose out because they can't find clothes that fit them, because what once was a 0 is now actually sized to a 6.

Anyways, back to the original question, it is impossible to compare your pants size with another woman's unless you are trying on the same pair of jeans or the same brand/style at the same time (not years apart, because the sizing changes). I can't even compare what I wore as a teenager to what I wear now because the sizes are not the same.

It sounds like you work out regularly, eat healthy, and you are technically underweight - so you don't have room to lose any more weight. I would work on learning to love your body how it is, because you have worked hard to maintain a healthy body and your body allows you to do all of these activities you enjoy. Maybe try to change your thought process when you start to think about what sizes other people wear.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I find that cut and sizing varies hugely, especially depending on where the clothing is made. I am 5'10" and weigh 180lb. I usually fit comfortably into a UK size 16 (bottom half) and a 14 or less (top half). I carry the weight on hips and backside. Clothing from German or Scandi labels is fine. French or Italian - forget it.
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Add me to the chorus: it's just your body type/bone structure, NOT fat. You don't have any fat to lose with your stats. I am inverted triangle shape, wear a size 6 top and size 4 bottoms. 130 lbs, 5'5".
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,973 Member
    Options
    Body type and shape will vary widely as does one clothing manufacturer to another, one country to another.

I'm relatively proportioned, but have no waist (curvy is a term no one will EVER accuse me of LOL), and broader shoulders. I do weight lift, but am not heavily muscled (no body building or anything like that). 5' 7" currently 147 pounds.

I am comfortable in a size 6-10 on bottom, and tops are generally Medium. Some tops will fit me great most places but cut off circulation in my arms (if I can even squeeze my arms into them). Bottoms my thighs can be tight once they fit my waist/hips, especially closer to my goal weight (not because I have thick thighs, but just because I'm active and actually work out and have some muscle).

I still have another ~15-20 pounds to lose, even at my thinnest I was a typically in sizes 4-6 depending on the brand. If I was wearing smaller than that I KNEW it was "vanity" sizing.

If I ever want to feel bad about my size, I just need to try on some European/Italian-brand/made clothes LOL.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Body shape matters but so does clothing cut. Mid rise, low rise, high rise, ultra rise, modern cut, classic, skinny, boyfriend, and whatever other random words being used as labels. Honestly-what does boyfriend cut even mean?

I go look for pants in some magic combo of rise/cut/shape/material/size that actually fit my body shape. I might wear 3 or 4 different sizes (of the same brand) because of varying cuts/styles.

I pick which one looks best to me.

I have clothes in a size 2 to size 20 that all fit.