I HATE the word diet!!!!! HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
If someone that is “healthy”, “in shape”, or “skinny” eats clean that’s it no one makes a deal out of it but if someone that is trying to loose weight does the same they are in diet and the whole world needs to know. Why can someone start to eat healthy and clean and they just happened to loose weight in the process.

I know this might be a rant but everyday at work my coworkers will eat and then bring up how I can’t eat it because I’m in a diet or they would bring something for everyone but say something like “I know your in a diet so I didn’t get you anything and didn’t know what to get you”.

Soooooo annoying!!!!

I realized that I was eating like garbage and I needed to make a change of my eating habits which I did and weight came off but when someone asks if I’m in a diet I tell them NO, just eating better and taking care of myself.

Diet is something you do to loose weight then once you loose the weight you stop. I’m eating better now and forever.

If you still here thank you for reading and have a great week!!!!

Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    It would be nice if colleagues / family thought about what I wanted more often instead of constantly offering calorific surprises. Would you have taken the food, whatever it was, if it was offered?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    To be honest this is one of the things you'll have to learn to accept and deal with as you go through it. Don't worry about what anyone else says. Just smile and nod and focus on your own actions. It's not worth stressing over even a little bit.
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot “are you still watching what you eat”. Um, yeah and I probably always will to some degree or another if I want to maintain what I’ve lost.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    There's a reason the word 'diet' begins with 'die'....
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,317 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're frustrated. I personally don't hate the word diet or even the phrase "on a diet", but I know some people take issue. It also sounds like a big part of your frustration is that people are commenting on it.

Since they know about it, I'm guessing either you volunteered information about how you were eating, or they saw evidence of success and asked you about it. If it bothers you so much, just don't engage. You can always just politely say, "I'd rather not discuss this."

I love this:
    I try to not tell people, especially co-workers, that I'm watching what I eat. When they offer me food, I just politely say that I'm not hungry or just a no usually works. It's none of their business what I choose to put into my mouth.
    And this:
    MikePTY wrote: »
    To be honest this is one of the things you'll have to learn to accept and deal with as you go through it. Don't worry about what anyone else says. Just smile and nod and focus on your own actions. It's not worth stressing over even a little bit.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I never tell anyone I'm trying to lose weight. If they ask why I’m not indulging in something I just say I don’t feel like having any right now. Sometimes I say I just don’t care for the food. Not much they can say to that.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    What words people choose to describe things is something we have to live with because we have no control over. If you don't agree with the choice, just don't use it. I don't use "weight loss journey" or "lifestyle change" because I don't feel this is the correct word choice for what I'm doing, but I know exactly what others mean when they use these words. I, incidentally, don't mind the word "diet" because to me it means reducing calories to a deficit, which is a temporary state that lasts until I hit my desired weight, after which comes maintenance, which is why I use it to describe what I'm doing.

Don't make a fuss about your food, and eventually, people will stop making a fuss about it too. I know it can be annoying, but someone thin eating a certain way, especially if they've always eaten that way, is nothing new. Someone overweight eating a certain way, especially if it's recent, is different and exciting and worth making a fuss about. That's how the human brain works. Trust me, it will die down eventually when it loses its novelty. For now, all you can do is just not to bring it up yourself, and to deflect if someone else brings it up. Don't take it to heart, people are just being people.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Diet is the food you eat, or a weight loss regime.
    I remember years ago, Richard Simmons calling a diet for weight loss, a live it.
  • schwest76
    schwest76 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don’t like that word either. I like to call it a lifestyle change. To me, diet implies misery and something super restrictive. Just my wording preference. I also don’t tell a lot of people about my weight loss journey because I don’t want any comments or judgey looks.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I just never told anyone I was on a diet or trying to lose weight. When people asked about my obvious weight loss and asked how I got there, I just said I was eating the same stuff sometimes and healthier foods more often. If they pressed for more details, I'd say something along the lines of, "Gee, it's kind of a boring subject for me. Just eat less and exercise more is basically it." Then I'd say "How was your weekend?" or "Want to go to Zumba with me?" or anything I could think of to change the subject. And instead of acting all weird about food, I'd take a bite or two of what they offered, said it tasted great but I was full and couldn't eat another bite.
  • ResolutionMan2016
    ResolutionMan2016 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A thin person who turns down a chocolate bar is just a thin person being a thin person. A fat person turning down a chocolate bar is someone on a diet.

I guess your friends, family and colleagues have labelled you as a foodie.

I feel your pain, though. Turning down food often leads to the Spanish Inquisition for me, especially in family circles.
  • Lindyloo54321
    Lindyloo54321 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I also hate the 'd' word. It's banned in my home. My current weight loss (39lb since May 18th) is due to a complete change in lifestyle, ie eating healthily, and exercise.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!