Does anyone here do 18:6 IF?

Which meal do you cut?

And do you have cravings?

Replies

• alisamuir
    alisamuir Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    I cut breakfast and often lunch (and have an afternoon snack and then dinner).
    Some days I manage OMAD.

I think I have less cravings.
    I do think about food a lot. But I'm trying to stop binge eating. So I often just want to eat EVERYTHING not something in particular.
    But genuine cravings seem to be less, but I am being mindful about eating variety and maybe I'm getting more of what I need so I crave less?
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here do 18:6 IF?

Which meal do you cut?

And do you have cravings?

"Officially" I do 18/6 although it varies from day to day. My 7-day average fasting period, courtesy of Zero Fasting app is 18 hours 42 minutes.

I eat beginning later in the day, generally early afternoon but occasionally I start before noon if I'm very hungry which generally happens if I didn't eat well the previous day. So, this means I skip breakfast.

I generally don't have cravings because I've been doing this very disciplined for a while now. I had strong desires for food early in the game but that's now a past tense thing. My discipline is very good and I work hard to keep it yet don't feel denied one bit because when I eat I eat and being in maintenance, I don't have any planned calorie deficit in my day.

• Jedikenji85
    Jedikenji85 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast and exercise instead, usually walking. I get cravings but I think that is gonna happen no matter what eating plan/lifestyle you choose. I use the Zero app to track my fasts and am in a women's only fasting group on FB.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I have been doing IF for about 6 wks and, while I started at 16:8, I am now averaging 19:5.

I skip breakfast (never ate it regularly anyway) and sometimes dinner (when I eat a large lunch wc is actually my breakfast or my 1st and sometimes only meal of the day.

I have seldom feel hungry during the day because regardless of the time period, I still eat about 1800 cals day and, in terms of fasting it makes more sense to eat the same amount of food during a shorter rather than longer period of time, particularly if you believe that fasting is more likely to make use of your fat/glycogen stores in this manner.

I drink water, tea and black coffre during the day to quench any food cravings that I might have when not eating. I drink 20oz of black coffee in the morning after I workout after I wake up in the morning and tea/water at other times during the day.

I am in maintenence and took up IF initially to break a weight gain plateau at 160 and have continued used it to lose 7# since then ehicj is still w/in my maintenance range of 150-160.

IF has worked well to help me stay w/in this wt range.
  • squirley13
    squirley13 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I’ve been and also trying 18/6 but like skipping dinner and weighing first thing in morning. I’ve been most successful that way but it is harder with social dinner gatherings then I skip breakfast.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    There is no way I could do this with my lifestyle...I don’t have a free 6 hour period in which I can eat all my calories for the day...I really can’t eat during my job and need fuel after the gym. Just will never work with my schedule 14:10 is what I go with
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    21:3.....I don't eat for 3 hours but my evening meal falls around 7:00, sometimes earlier, sometimes later. It works the best for me.
  • SteveWright71
    SteveWright71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing 18/6 or 20/4 (1 main meal around 2pm and a snack toward the end of my feeding window) with 2 48 hour fasts per month for a little over a year now and anecdotally I feel amazing.

During my fasting period I drink only water or green tea. During the 48 hour period I’ll include salt, potassium (by way of No-Salt), and a magnesium supplement. The salt and no salt I just add into my water, not the tastiest but it’s important to try and maintain electrolytes.

There’s evidence that fasting moderates Ghrelin, the hunger hormone, levels, and, again anecdotally, it seems so with me. Once your body adjusts to the fasting you’ll likely see a significant reduction in overall hunger levels throughout the day.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I do 14/10. I eat dinner between 7-8 and have breakfast between 9-10.

Don't cut any meals, just eat dinner a little earlier and breakfast a little later.

My cravings come and go...
  • amandah3493
    amandah3493 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I tend to do more 16:8 I skip breakfast but I still get cravings 😕. Some days I do 20:4
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Deleted.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I eat two mid to smallish meals a day. It works out to be a late mid day meal and our evening meal, which is finished before 7:00. I get hungry sometimes, that passes and I'm not snacking or night eating at all anymore. Eating like this made losing those bad habits really easy. I feel good fasting on water from 17 to 19 hours. There is still plenty of energy to do all of the things I did before I started time restricted eating. This is my second week and I feel its sustainable as well as flexible enough to bend it to work around events and in maintenance. I'm naturally eating less calories but that is not as important to me as the other benefits.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Doing omad so its like 22-2 for me. 1000 calorie limit too and i feel great!

A healthy minimum for men is 1500 cals a day.
    Please increase your intake to MFP’s recommendations.
    If you have less than 50lbs to lose 1lbs a week would be reasonable.

Don’t forget, MFP does not acount for your exercise in your calorie allotment. Log your exercise and eat back the cals awarded also.

You have only been here a couple of weeks, it can take months for the ill effects of underrating to reveal themselves.

Take care of yourself, aim for health above rapid weight loss.

Cheers, h.
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Did a 36 hour fast last weekend now I'm almost one week into 18:6 IF and enjoying it after eating out of control for weeks since the coronavirus UK lockdown.

Gained 6 pounds and I've lost 3 of those over this past week. I'm hoping that this will be my new way of eating for life but will give it a month and see how it goes before making any big declarations lol.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I don't do IF that strict. I skip breakfast 3 times a week, Monday Wednesday and Friday.